Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:01 pm 

First a bit of history. Guess more than a few months ago I traded parts for a a Benji Trail airgun. I went over the guns internals, re-did what the previous owner attempted. Sent it off to my dad for his 81yr old neighbor for disposing of nuisance birds that had been chasing the song birds off all summer. Got it back a few weeks later. Broken stock after less than 2 dozen shots. Needless to say sent off a replacement.

So now comes a slide show of what was done to fix the stock versus a complete replacement.

http://s42.photobucket.com/user/Whitewo ... ock?sort=2

Final pics in a day or so once the stock has dried with its last coat of oil rub.

Enjoy.

Whitewolf

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:19 am 

Seems to be a bad link

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:33 am 

If I were you, I'd repair it. If it were I, you'd repair it. Guess you made the best choice in repairing it :lol:

Nice work! The rest is just icing, so serve it up! 8)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:31 am 

OK, I don't know why, but the fact that you were drilling the stock in a really nice mill made me laugh. Coolant flow seems a little low though...

Hmm, you sure have a very nice looking shop - I'm envious.

Wood came up nice - what did you use? It looks to me like you took a third option: throw it away, repair it, or make it 10x better than new!

Jim

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:44 am 

There are two kinds of people. Those that require an item to function beautifully, and those that want an item to look beautifully. I think you accomplished both. Good job.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:58 am 

good job on the repair Kim just one question could you have not gone up from the bottom of the grip instead and avoided the little eye sore from the top :?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:24 pm 

Thx for the comments. Might have been a turd of gun and stock to begin with....But its a damn fine lookin and operating turd now.....lol

I used a polymer glue made by Gorila. First time trying it. Tskes stain doesnt like oil, hence seeing the break lines. Cracks and break were spread apart with tooth picks and glue added into the voids. Used nothing more then 3 wraps of good ole masking tape for clamping pressure.
As seen drilled the pistol grip hole to 3/8" yes upon the mill. Coolant line was compressed air at about 15 psi. Shop-vac hose in the stock slurped up the dust. Other small holes were drilled into the cracked portions. Tooth picks used for doweling upon those. (forgot about pics for that) Pistol grip dowel was a piece of birch. All glued in with Timberline carpentry wood glue. Then counter drilled for an aluminum plug. Reason for that upon final pics.
Stock was first sanded down with some 180grit to remove its previous. Then sanded with 220, then a quick sand with 400 to clean any sanding marks.
Stock was then water washed, just a spray bottle and hand rubbed till it was starting to dry. Washed once more and hand rubbed till dry. Light spray of water few hrs later and hand rubbed in the Timber Line wood filler. About size of a quarter forms a thin cream upon the stock. Hand rubbed until it was dry like saw dust upon stock and hands. Re mist with water re rub till dry.
After about 3 hrs dry time. Mixed 1 tsp Smoked Ebony liquid dye/ stain. 1 tsp mineral spirits and 1 tsp double boiled linseed oil. Hand rub into stock until it appears dry.
After a few to over night dry time. Buffed down with a heavy cotton rag from an old sweat shirt.
Mixed up 1 tsp linsed oil, about 5 drops of True Oil, and 5 drops of Hi Speed linseed oil finish. This combination is very oily to the feel. Hand rub into the stock until everything is shiny wet. Let sit for the day. Hand rubbing accordingly to keep wood wet looking. Until all mixture is gone. Let dry for a day. Buffed down with a piece of leather. Real stuff. I use a piece of tanned doe skin. Its seen a many a stocks. Let sit for a few hours some place warm but not hot. See if any oil appears upon surface. Just rub it back in if it does.

Will finish a bit later with the last of the pics and gun re assembled.

Whitewolf

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:08 pm 

Very nicely done. Waiting for the final pictures.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:02 pm 

Whitewolf wrote:
First a bit of history. Guess more than a few months ago I traded parts for a a Benji Trail airgun. I went over the guns internals, re-did what the previous owner attempted. Sent it off to my dad for his 81yr old neighbor for disposing of nuisance birds that had been chasing the song birds off all summer. Got it back a few weeks later. Broken stock after less than 2 dozen shots. Needless to say sent off a replacement.

So now comes a slide show of what was done to fix the stock versus a complete replacement.

http://s42.photobucket.com/user/Whitewo ... ock?sort=2

Final pics in a day or so once the stock has dried with its last coat of oil rub.

Enjoy.

I think i have a good stock for that free

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:37 pm 

Thanks budz, may take you up upon that stock offer. :lol: :lol:
Enjoy the results, my apologies for the extremely large size. :D But you get the idea right away :lol:

Whitewolf

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:40 pm 

Very nicely done, sir!

Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:55 am 

Very nicely done Kim!

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Benjamin Discovery .22 w/Joe Hickey stock!
Crosman 150 pistol .22
4 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22
Mrodair CP-1M .22 and .177

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:52 am 

Looks great! Was the metal originally like that or did you polish it up?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:24 am 

Great job!. I just finished my disco stock so I know the work involved. Almost 3 weeks for me.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:22 am 

Metal was that colour tone. I just gave it a good cleaning when I first recieved it.

Time upon the stock refurb was under 8hrs but stretched out over about 5 days.

Thx for the comments.

Whitewolf