Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Re: 7mm Hayabusa Build
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:44 am 

Well congrats there Bob, :drinkers: your boolit design does show quite the ballistic accuracy. 205yrds for an airgun is looooong range shooting fir sure. :mrgreen:

Whitewolf

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:50 pm 

Congratulations Bob. Great bullet design. The shooter in that video is no slouch either.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:42 pm 

joe hickey wrote:
Congratulations Bob. Great bullet design. The shooter in that video is no slouch either.

I agree great shooting.... 8)
I must say that must be putting out a lot of air to get that pellet out 205yrds...hens the straight hookup to the tanks..
first time I've seen some significant recoil on a pcp ....

congrats on the great design Bob :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:56 pm 

Actually, he can get 2 shots at that velocity with a slightly slower 3rd shot, without the tether.... and if you notice, the tube is about the size of one on a QB or Disco (might be a bit bigger OD).... There is no reason that properly tuned you cannot achieve about 1.0 FPE/CI efficiency, so 200 FPE would use about 200 CI per shot, or 600 CI for three shots.... The gun is a Corsair, and he is tethering at 3500-3600 psi, and likely fills to a couple hundred more, so 3 shots should mean a pressure drop of ~ 1100 psi on a Disco sized tube (8 CI).... from say, 3800 to 2700 psi.... I don't know the exact details, but that would be my best guess....

Bob

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:14 pm 

The apple at 205 yards is very impressive. From an aim point of view, I make that roughly equivalent to a 5mm target at 10 yards (just a very rough estimate), but then add in all the moving air between muzzle and fruit. :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:32 pm 

Yep, and he was holding 1/2 MilDot off to allow for wind (and 4 Dots high)....

Bob

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:13 pm 

I finally, after a month, got the Metric O-ring I needed to seal the bolt into the thimble.... Last week I had the opportunity to cast some of my new 7mm Bob's Boattails, and that gave me the samples I needed to use the chambering reamer I got from Sean Pero to chamber the barrel.... Here are the results....

In the photo above, you can see the system that retains the barrel into the breech, a threaded sleeve that presses against a collar threaded onto the barrel, the O-ring that seals the barrel to the thimble, the thimble itself, and the chambering reamer.... I ran the reamer in until when the bullet was properly seated the base was flush with the back of the barrel, which sits against a shoulder in the thimble just ahead of the transfer port.... The bolt pushes it home to that location.... Below is a closeup of the thimble, showing the internal 7.5mm x 1.5mm x 10.5 mm O-ring that seals on the OD of the bolt, and a bullet which has been chambered....

You will notice that the rifling marks on the front driving band are approaching full depth, but the middle band is just entering the tapered leade.... There are no rifling marks on the rear band, it sits in the parallel section of the chamber, which is about 0.001" over the groove diameter of the barrel.... You can feel resistance for about the last 1/8" of bolt travel, but it is not hard to chamber, you are just aware of the bullet engaging the rifling, which I like....

My replacement ShoeBox Compressor (a Freedom 8 ) has been shipped, and with this work completed, I should be ready to test the 7mm version of the Hayabusa once I get it and top up my tanks....

Bob

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:28 pm 

I assembled the 7mm Hayabusa today and fired it for the first time.... I tethered it to a regulator at 2900 psi and tested the hammer spring preload to determine if I have enough hammer strike to max the gun out at that pressure, and I do....

The velocity falls off slightly at the top end, not sure why, but I have seen it before.... It doesn't matter, as the gun would be an Air Hog at anything over 5 turns out from coil bind anyway.... The maximum FPE at 2900 psi was 193 FPE, which is right about where it should be using the 96.5 gr. Bob's Boattails, so I'm very pleased.... My new ShoeBox Compressor is at the Post Office and I'll be picking it up tomorrow, so within a few days I should have some shot strings to share with you....

Bob

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:57 am 

Sounds fairly sound there Bob. Await more of your testing. :D

Whitewolf

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 12:02 am 

Got to send a few rounds downrange today.... 1" at 50 yards and just over 2" at 100 yards seemed typical.... I didn't get a chance to index the barrel, play with the tension, or the air stripper yet....

Bob