Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:39 pm 

I hear ya. But that's about what I paid for my Pardini - $2,000 Canadian when our dollar was at par with the USD. The quality is there in that thing. Anything less than a hole in the 10 circle is my fault. I expect it'll be the same with the Impact. Can't say that for my Brocock Atomic nor my 2240.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:06 pm 

GerardSamija wrote:
I hear ya. But that's about what I paid for my Pardini - $2,000 Canadian when our dollar was at par with the USD. The quality is there in that thing. Anything less than a hole in the 10 circle is my fault. I expect it'll be the same with the Impact. Can't say that for my Brocock Atomic nor my 2240.

It's true you get what you pay for. I'm positive my cometa is more accurate than what I do with it lol. I really want to hold out for a daystate rifle one day. Can you redirect me to a pic of your Pardini sir? I'm afraid I don't know about it

Cometa lynx .22-hawke sport 3-9x40 ao
Qb 78 .22 (sons)
Crosman 760-tasco 2-7x20
Crosman t4

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:08 pm 

Huh, how odd. Neither the site search nor Google can find a picture of my K12 here, though I've shared a picture elsewhere. Oh well, here's a shot of that. It's wearing a maple grip I carved from the end of a chunk I'm saving to make a copy of my wife's 17th century Venetian fiddle. That's a back-burner project. Maybe an anniversary present some day. Her fiddle sounds lovely but it's been 'repaired' by a couple of idiots long ago and the volume has suffered from their excesses, so I'd like to build one on the same very slender pattern but improve the carrying power. But fiddles are for other forums... here's the Pardini:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:12 pm 

Oh my that is an impressive looking piece of work. I've never litter much pistol, but I bet it's a joy to shoot. Is it front heavy?

Qb 78 .22 (sons)
Crosman 760-tasco 2-7x20
Crosman t4

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:36 pm 

Not sure how one would 'litter' a pistol... picturing little pistol puppies...

The pistol weighs 995 grams and isn't in the least 'front heavy' as compared to something like a Baikal 46m. Even after extensive modifications to reduce weight, my 46m was considerably front heavy compared to this. But of course technically the grip is at the back, so... yeah, it's front heavy compared to just holding the grip. But very easy to hold, and that's coming from a guy who injured his shoulder due to over-training for 10 metre air pistol competition a few years back. Not that I'm fully recovered. Half an hour at a time shooting the K12 is plenty these days so I'm a long way off from competing again. It doesn't get sore exactly, but when I shot for more than half an hour with it at Mission last month my shoulder started getting fatigued, and I know enough now not to push beyond that. I'll work my way back and eventually the ~70 minutes it takes me to shoot a 60 shot match (and 3 of those at some weekend provincial matches) will be possible again.

Oh, on the 'joy to shoot' thing, I guess I'd have to say yes and no. It's a joy to have a pistol which doesn't get between my skill and my results, delivers 100% of the time, and goes a long way between pumping it up or changing cylinders. But it's not a joy in itself, in the sense that it's actually kind of boring. No recoil. Easiest trigger in the world - it falls into the #1 spot on most air pistol competitor and reviewer surveys in Europe, beating out the very fine electronic Morini triggers for many of those who actually try it next to a Morini. It just does its job, perfectly. And perfection is a bit boring. I have more fun shooting my old Webley pistols or new QB57 bullpup. They're quirky, they fight me, make it a challenge to hit the target.

But I'm not really complaining really. It's sort of like doing yoga, shooting the Pardini, not really like shooting. The focus is on technique in terms of posture and procedure, following a set routine for every shot. Shooting it informally at Mission (I'll be bringing it along again this month as it seems we'll be shooting a pistol round on steel knock-downs) is different, more fun, and a different sort of challenge to paper at 10 metres. Having to think about hold-over for different distances is interesting and a challenge with open sights.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:58 pm 

GerardSamija wrote:
Not sure how one would 'litter' a pistol... picturing little pistol puppies.

Haha auto correct and not paying attention while typing .... Not sure how fired turned into litter.

I still get really giddy when I get a real nice looking target after all is said and done. My definition of a joy to shoot translates to "does the work for you" lol. Sounds like you are right into the competition side of things?

Qb 78 .22 (sons)
Crosman 760-tasco 2-7x20
Crosman t4

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:07 pm 

Only a bit competitive... :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:33 pm 

GerardSamija wrote:

Sweet Jesus that's a chunk of hardware! I've never entered a shooting competition in my life. Aside from placing bets on who gets the most gophers (ground squirrels). I really hope this summer I can meet up with the guys around here and do some field target. Looks like a ton of fun.

Qb 78 .22 (sons)
Crosman 760-tasco 2-7x20
Crosman t4

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:57 pm 

The value of the hardware in this case has a lot to do with context. I've still not qualified to enter the 'master' category, which requires at least 2 scores of 93.33% or higher in a competition year at certified matches, which means a score of 561 out of 600 possible, twice. My personal best is only 553 which I've managed a few times. At the local and provincial level that's good enough to get me a few medals. But the Masters-ranked guys (there are only 3 or 4 men and I think 2 women in BC with that ranking) are shooting up around 570 or higher, occasionally into the 580's. They get to go flying off to Europe and stuff, competing in seriously serious matches.

Yup, you'll enjoy HFT, definitely. It's really satisfying seeing those steel squirrels and bunnies flopping over. Not quite so exciting as the real thing, but I'm pretty sure the SPCA would have something to say about using those for HFT... I was an air rifle guy as a kid but took a very long break. I'm practicing a bit each day and getting my chops back, but still nothing nearly as good as shot with a two-handed airgun as I was when I was 10. We got good enough to shoot at wooden matches to light them up. Or if we ran out of pellets we'd just shoot wooden match heads. Those weren't very accurate beyond about 5 feet...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:32 pm 

You pistol matches, are they all 10m matches? Sounds to me like you are being modest haha. You might not be flying around the world, but I bet Id come nowhere close to 500.

I've heard stories about lighting matches with pellets but never anyone using them as pellets. :lol: And the nice thing about steel rabbits is that you don't have to take them home and clean them haha.

Qb 78 .22 (sons)
Crosman 760-tasco 2-7x20
Crosman t4

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:45 pm 

All 10 metres yup. Lots and lots of rules with ISSF air pistol match shooting, even more rules for 10m air rifle as it gets into all sorts of details about the clothing. Not so modest. I think I did fairly well rising from no pistol experience at all to shooting over 550 within 6 months. Got to 512/600 with a Gamo Center. Awful pistol, shoots around 300fps and jumps nastily thanks to the spring piston slamming forward, but it taught me trigger discipline. Getting to 553 with the Baikal 46m after that was relatively easy. Getting beyond that landmark proved impossible with the K10 and K12, but only due to my tendency to over-train and hurt myself. Been doing that since I was a kid running cross country, then racing bicycles, then longer running races... Just can't seem to stop making training mistakes.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:46 pm 

Interesting, we all come from either a hunting/ competition back grounds. I only started to shoot in competitions about 10 years ago. I started at the Langley Rod and gun. I shot in their yearly 100 score match with my 10/22 and won the Standing trophy, shooting at 20yards.

It was only then that one of the members asked me to join them in a Metallic Silhouette match in Mission. My first shoot was bad. See I thought I was a pretty good shot, until you try Silhouette shooting, freehand. It's a doozy. First you have to be able to steady yourself, and the rifle, then aim at a small object in your scope, while it is moving around like a moving target, and then try to breath, breath, hold your breath, and gently squeeze the trigger, and see your target fall over. This is not shooting for the faint of heart, this is one tough shooting sport. Doesn't matter with what you try to shoot it, it's tough. With air rifles and air pistols it's tough enough, but when it comes to shooting with recoil, your'e done. I've tried to do it with a high power rifle, it's almost impossible. Shooting a 60 shot match with high recoil, makes it almost impossible not to flinch when the rifle gives you a nice push on your shoulder.

I have won my share of medals and trophies in this sport. I think I've done enough, but I always like to better my self, and prepare for competitions to come. This year I will be focusing more on FT and local shoots. I will travel less, and shoot more, to be prepared for next year.

See you guys and girls Sunday. Like I said I'll bring my board and targets and show you guys how to set up your rifle for ft better.

I'll also bring my gazebo, if it becomes too wet, we can hind beneath it.

Biagio

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:02 pm 

GerardSamija wrote:

Way competitive!
My psychotic first wife burned all my awards, medals, military and civilian.....

I had plaques and awards from age 12-35.
Competed in 10 m 3 position.22lr from 12-18.
Presidents 100(Army award) 50' .45 pistol. Age 21-24.
National matches at Camp Perry, OH. 1000' Age 25-29.
IPSC, PPC, and Cowboy Action. Age 30-40.

Haven't competed since I moved to Canada in 2005....

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Benjamin Discovery .22 w/Joe Hickey stock!
Crosman 150 pistol .22
4 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22
Mrodair CP-1M .22 and .177

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:43 pm 

Gerard that is a nice collection. Impressive

And you races bicycles as well then you may know my wife's uncle. Bill Wild? He won the first Gastown. He's still active as a race official. Great guy....

More to come....

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:08 pm 

Never did the road bike thing, not so far anyway. I mean I had a Schwinn 10-speed as a kid... but no, I raced BMX for a few years, then mountainbikes. After a couple of years on the mountainbike I managed to wrap myself around a tree coming down Hollyburn, got myself the unofficial 'crash of the day' award which basically meant free beer. Then some Southern Comfort. And a hot tub. All of which conspired to let the blood in my crushed left quads freely flow and fill up much of my lower leg, resulting in a trip to emergency the next morning then about a year of visits to USB Sports Med for all sorts of exotic therapies. I tried racing again a couple of times but my heart wasn't in it. Kept having foolish little crashes as I was just too careful. 4 somersaults punctuated by a tree limb after 2 then a rock to the helmet at 3.5 spins... then another crash two turns later after jumping back on my bike, this time when the front tire exploded... should have taught me to stop. But I was stubborn. The ol' bike is for the odd ride around UBC or Stanley Park these days and that's about it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next