Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:26 pm 

How many ppl showed up? too bad it was raining or we would have been there.

HW45 Black Star .177
HW97KL .177 (V-mach)
Diana 24 .177
HW97K .22 (JM kit)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:50 pm 

9 or 10 I think. It was a little tight under the shelter but dry.

More to come....

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:12 pm 

Sorry I couldn't make it! I was stuck in Victoria with a stomach bug of some sort. On my way back to Abbotsford now with the BC Ferries. Totally foggy!!!

Brocock Concept .22
3 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:07 pm 

I think it was great, a little cold, but great. A plinking session that lasts for 4 hours is fantastic. Chat, shoot some, chat, shoot some. I think that was a good way to describe the day. I love it.

Hope to see more guys next month, and a little drier would be very nice.

I should be able to make it, as long as work does'nt interfere.

All's good

Biagio

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:42 am 

For those that did not make it a few intresting topics came up in the Range Safety Talk.

Rain. It was pointed out that FT and HFT worldwide is shot in the rain. General consensus was for the day we would make today a practice/plinking day. It was raining quite heavy at the time. I pointed out in a month it would be warmer and rain would not make us so miserable. Another valid point was made that we are still trying to grow the sport and didn't want to scare away new members.

Kill zones on the close targets. They are big on a lot of the targets we set up. All agreed that reducers should be used to make things a bit more challenging.

More to come....

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:58 am 

Yup. Good times! I got to zero out my new scope, and brought out a new interested shooter. Ed enjoyed his time out there greatly, and definitely wants to come back. He's even interested in picking up an Airforce Condor already, after taking some 70 FPE shots with Wayne's beast. That Condor was a lot of fun.

Even though it was raining, we still got in a lot of shots, all the way back to 60 yards, and then even some extended shots to 100 yards. I'm really going to need to learn how to use chairgun. The overhold at 100 yards is massive, especially when using my tuned down cylinder running around 700 fps for FT. Everything up to 60 yards is dead easy in comparison.

Thanks for letting me try all those guns, Biagio. That Steyr is an impressive shooter.

Nice shooting with that 2240 there, NFG. You'll like it a lot better with the steel breech.

FX Streamline .22 - Optisan Mamba Lite 4-16X44
Hammerli Pneuma Elite 10 .22 - Bushnell Elite 4200 4-12X40
Custom Crosman 2240 w/ LW barrel - Vortex Strikefire
Remington AirMaster 77 PAL rated - CenterPoint 3-9X40

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:06 pm 

sounded like you guys had a blast even with the rain!

As with the target size of the "kill zone", may be use the biggest one for the closer target and a smaller size for the 2nd further target?

hopefully next month shoot will be sunny and dry day.

Barfman: glad to hear your pcp is shooting great up to 60 yards!

cheers

HW45 Black Star .177
HW97KL .177 (V-mach)
Diana 24 .177
HW97K .22 (JM kit)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:11 pm 

Yeah, it still worked out great, you should've come out! I'm going to be making it out rain or shine. It wasn't really that bad in the rain, and it'll only get better out there with the weather warming up.

I like that idea with the larger kill zone close, and the smaller kill zone far. Better chance for that satisfying knock down, and then a real challenge on the far one. I just love the challenge of going for a 1/2" kill zone at long range.

Looks like the next one lands on April 26th. See you guys there!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:45 pm 

"Nice shooting with that 2240 there, NFG. You'll like it a lot better with the steel breech" Barfman...

Thanks Mike but I have a long way to go. The RedDot dances all over the place when I am aiming. Thinking of getting a lower profile one for the steel breech. I have never been a pistol guy so I have a lot to learn. Gerard posted up a great thread on a trigger mod he did in the Mod and Maintenance section. Once I have the steel breech I'll do the trigger mod at the same time.

What I learned at the shoot was I have to slow down and let the shot happen. The trigger is "creepy" and it shifts my POA.

More to come....

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:48 pm 

NFG wrote:
"Nice shooting with that 2240 there, NFG. You'll like it a lot better with the steel breech" Barfman...

Thanks Mike but I have a long way to go. The RedDot dances all over the place when I am aiming. Thinking of getting a lower profile one for the steel breech. I have never been a pistol guy so I have a lot to learn. Gerard posted up a great thread on a trigger mod he did in the Mod and Maintenance section. Once I have the steel breech I'll do the trigger mod at the same time.

What I learned at the shoot was I have to slow down and let the shot happen. The trigger is "creepy" and it shifts my POA.

Yeah, when I got my latest 2240, I immediately took apart the trigger mechanism and polished everything, then shortened the trigger spring. It feels very acceptable now. I just suck at shooting pistols. I may need to change the rear sight... That diopter is kinda cool, but I'm not entirely sold, yet.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:56 pm 

I gave your rear diopter sight a couple of shots Mike, and have to say I'm not really sold on it either. I suspect it'd be much more useful on a break-barrel rifle. Somewhat closer to the eye so the field of view through it would be larger but still small enough to bring the front sight and the target both into better focus. At arm's length (admittedly I didn't try two-handed which is somewhat closer to the eye) that tiny hole just looked too small, difficult to find the target without constantly thinking about finding the target, which is a bit self-defeating. One shouldn't have to make much of a conscious effort when pistol shooting. Alignment should feel natural. Even with my Pardini's open sights I find targets beyond about 20 metres quite challenging as I have to adjust the height of the front sight post in the rear sight notch to get the holdover right. If not, the front sight blocks the target, and that's pretty close to impossible to shoot well. I had a much easier time shooting longer ranges with the K12 when I had the Burris Fastfire III mounted on it. That made it easy to hit things out to about 30 metres or so. A pistol scope would probably be even better, with 2x magnification bringing things up a bit closer. But that pistol's really meant for 10 metres so I'm keeping to open sights on it now.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:53 pm 

I must say, we all had a blast, it was good shooting around.

Oh Mike, you can't have my Steyr, it's mine. I love that gun a lot a lot.

I hope the weather is going to be much better next month, I think it's time for a BBQ again. I guess we will have to wait and see what the weather has in stall for us next month.

I will be doing some air gun shooting and hunting in the weeks to come.

See you guys and gals next month, I can almost not wait until then. I'll be posting pictures in the hunting section, if I get any bunnies in the coming weeks. The farm where I shoot are littered with them, right now. The farmer already called my twice.

There is a mean goulash in my near future.

Biagio

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:01 pm 

Biagio,
I see you live in Surrey and are talking about hunting wabbits! Would you mind if I came along as a spotter? Will bring the rifle in the truck, as I doubt the farmer would want two hunters. I am off work at 2:30 every afternoon.

As far as food I think it is my turn to provide meat and a veggies burger/dog for Gerard! I'll pick some sausages and steaks from my favourite butcher in Victoria!

Brocock Concept .22
3 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:14 pm 

NFG wrote:
Spent a bit of time practicing with my new seat and mono set-up. The garage floor makes it interesting. Shot 8 the Mono slipped out from under me. I then rushed 9. Strange not shooting off my bench set-up. Looking forward to seeing how this all works in the field..

I've been trying to remember to get in at least 1 cylinder worth of practice with one of my carbines every day for the past couple of weeks, after realizing that I hadn't been practising in ways which were very useful for FT. Focused effort on stance and finding a good way to hold the rifle is challenging, much like starting from scratch as I am used to the formalities of pistol shooting but have never done competition style rifle. The biggest obstacle seems to be movement of the ribs, both breathing and heartbeat, and heartbeat is the worst of it. That little blip makes the crosshairs jump a good few pellet diameters every second or so. Really annoying. But I can't stop my heart, so... just have to learn to time the trigger. Which is the opposite of 10 metre air pistol, where the heartbeat interferes only very slightly with the sight picture and it's more a matter of drawing the trigger tighter and tighter until it fires while working to keep the sight picture solid. Timing the trigger pull to suit a particular alignment with the target is actually counter-productive in AP, tends to drop the scores quite significantly, as reaction time is always too slow to catch the moment when the black blob is perfectly centred.

Anyway, some practice helped me a lot for Sunday's plinking in the rain session. I was able to knock down the steel critters fairly often even out to 50 metres standing with no support, and even more often on a short monopod while sitting on a stool. Just have to keep at it and develop a pattern, a particular moment in the heartbeat cycle when it's best to fire. Here's a typical 10 shot target for me at home - 7 metres away from the bathroom, across the hallway and at the far end of my instrument storage room, just the other side of a bass and a cello. About 20" off the floor to simulate the way we shoot towards the ground in HFT.

Not exactly brilliant, but this group size is typical for me now where a month ago I was shooting groups twice that size and scarcely deserving of the term 'group.' I'll work toward half-dime size at 7 metres... that ought to be good enough for our monthly outings.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:21 am 

hi all, i pm'd a few people with regards to FT shooting in bc.
my daughter is 12 and a very enthusiastic shooter- she currently shoots small bore rifle, and does quite well, however we are looking at getting into air rifle shooting, and field target seems way more appealing to her than just punching paper.
when are you guys having your next shoot/ get together- i would love to get her to it, so that she can meet everyone, and possibly try some different rifles- if thats possible- so that we can decide on a rifle for her. we dont have a ton of spare $. but i will help her where i can and she will be contributing as well, from her recycling money etc.
we live on the queen charlotte islands up here- so will have to travel- any suggestions and input is greatly accepted

many thanks
wayne and Tia

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next