Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:11 pm 

wayne nicol wrote:
hi all, i pm'd a few people with regards to FT shooting in bc.
my daughter is 12 and a very enthusiastic shooter- she currently shoots small bore rifle, and does quite well, however we are looking at getting into air rifle shooting, and field target seems way more appealing to her than just punching paper.
when are you guys having your next shoot/ get together- i would love to get her to it, so that she can meet everyone, and possibly try some different rifles- if thats possible- so that we can decide on a rifle for her. we dont have a ton of spare $. but i will help her where i can and she will be contributing as well, from her recycling money etc.
we live on the queen charlotte islands up here- so will have to travel- any suggestions and input is greatly accepted

many thanks
wayne and Tia

We shoot the last Sunday of every month rain or shine,sometimes snow!
We have a wide -almost confusing variety of guns .
Full on rigs to simple break barrel and co2,most important ingredient: a good shooter with a sighted in gun!..kelly

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:26 pm 

Heck of a trip, but hey, if your kid wants to shoot I'm sure she'll have a blast at the field target meet on April 26th. Biagio has already started a discussion thread towards that. Most months there's a dedicated thread here about those meetings, just look for the threads at the start of each month:
topic67368.html

There was lots of gun trading going on at the March meeting, people handing their equipment around for others to try. A lot of grinning from Mike and Ed as they tried Wayne's AirForce Condor. His is set up for very high power, either around 50fpe or 70fpe depending on how he adjusts the settings with a little spacer behind the valve 'tophat.' That would of course be ridiculously over-powered for air rifle competition. Takes too many trips to the pump or air tank for relatively few shots per fill. But I think your girl could do very well indeed with an AirForce rifle set up with a .177" barrel and adjusted to somewhere around PAL velocity. Here's the AirForce Edge (bottom of the page - red or blue models) listed at just over $700 at D&L, set up specifically for 10 metre formal competition with open sights and a very highly configurable stock:
http://www.dlairgun.com/Air-Rifles/Airforce/

The AirForce line are very light weight rifles, should be no problem at all for a slightly built kid, with this one listed as 6.1 pounds. That's about as light as you're going to find. And there is absolutely nothing to fault the rifle for in terms of accuracy. Shot count with the small cylinder this model comes supplied with is around 100 shots per fill, more than enough for a good couple of sighter targets then a full match before it needs filling. Should she want to extend that to many hundreds of shots and doesn't mind adding a pound or so to the weight, I think a 13 cubic inch bottle could be swapped out. If she wanted to use it for hunting or general plinking later the open sights can be swapped easily for a scope. There is a lot of online forum activity around the AirForce guns, and all sorts of modifications one can do to adapt power up or down and otherwise fine-tune them per your particular needs. I think this is one of your best options, getting a modern, well-designed target rifle with a warranty, and a weight appropriate to start out with. She can always add weights later should she feel that it would help steady her hold on target.

10 metre air rifle competition is extremely exacting, the 10 being smaller than the pellet, should provide a fun challenge for her. Actually the size of the period at the end of this sentence. By comparison HFT is relatively casual. Still a challenge, but the atmosphere is a lot lighter. And knocking stuff down out to 50 or 60 metres during the plinking sessions is a hoot. The actual informal competition ranges between about 10 metres and 30, maybe 35 metres, with the knock-down paddles ranging between about loonie and dime size or slightly smaller.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:06 pm 

Another rifle that is great for a beginner is the AA S200. Perfect for a beginner.

One more gun I like for a beginner is the WEIHRAUCH HW 30 S. It's a great little springer, and easy to cock.

See you guys on the 26. I hope you guys bring out your A Game, I think it's going to be sunny and warm. Perfect for a nice BBQ. Sausages galore.

Please let me know who's coming, other wise I'll only bring one pack of sausages, enough for me, myself, and I

See you guys then.

Biagio

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7