Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:22 pm 

We have all heard that expression, right ? Some believe in it and some don't. "Me" I'm a believer, as this story proves.
I spent an exciting evening with Wayne AKA "Watertown", a couple of days ago, helping a farmer near him get rid of an enormous number of starlings that were occupying his barn. He called me on short notice, and I had no time to prepare a gun. I needed a sub 500 fps gun for shooting inside the barn and at close range, 20 to 30 yds. So I grabbed the 2240 with an 18" barrel that had a power adjuster on it and I knew it was accurate. I grabbed what I had of C02 only 3 cart,s. And headed out for the one and a half hour drive to Waynes. It was 9 pm by the time I got there and the farmer wanted to accompany us for the cull. There were around three to four hundred starlings in his barn. It didn't take long for me to run out of C02, after which I shared Waynes HW 97. A beautiful and accurate gun in NON PAL. However quite heavy.
The farmer called it quits around ten fifteen as he was past his bed time. there were very few starlings left by that time anyway. I realized then that had, it been colder, the C02 gun would have been useless. I needed a NON PAL spring gun that was reliably accurate enough for humane disposal of starlings. I have a couple of spring guns NON PAL that are pretty accurate for paper punching but too many fliers for hunting in my opinion. My other option was to replace the spring on my Diana 34, since I already have 3 other springs on hand of various length and power. Unfortunately none were big enough to fit over the spring guide of the Diana. I tried one without the spring guide, but the sound it made when firing was disturbing. A God awful twangggggg.... So I decided to forget about it for now and order a NON PAL spring later.
HOWEVER !!! while I was putting the original spring back in the Diana, it fell apart in two pieces in my hand. According to the marks on the spring guide, it had been broken all along. About two inches shorter, and a quarter inch shy of preload. Too short. Drat !!! So I decided to use a sleeve to shim the spring about an inch. It was still shooting 685 FPS. Then a half inch, Still 610 fps. Then a quarter inch, still 585 fps. Well after flattening the broken end and grinding it flat and polishing it. I decided to try it anyway. loose fitting though. The results were nothing short of amazing. 495 fps for 10 shots. I thought there must be something wrong with my Chrony. I tried a different gun and the Chrony numbers changed. Then back to the Diana and again 495 fps. I still can't believe this is happening. Consistently 495 fps. every shot. And on top of that, the accuracy at 20 yds is better than I can shoot.. Although the Diana was always very accurate.
So did all this happen for a reason ? discovering I had a broken spring ? That the spring just happened to break at the exact place I needed it ? That the Diana was such an accurate gun at that speed ? You tell me.
Bye the way, I wasn't planning to cut the spring. I thought about it but didn't want to mess with it. If I had, it might not have turned out so well, because I would not have cut it too short. I wonder what combination of factors, explains why I'm getting such consistent fps.
Well now I need a new PAL spring for my Diana. Any suggestions ?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:57 pm 

Seeing is believing.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:10 pm 

I believe that as well Joe.

Everything works out in the end... and if it isn't working out it isn't the end!

http://plinkercases.ca/

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:30 pm 

consistent 495 fps every shot.. for ten shots...and still after :shock: 8)
that is very hard to believe but we take your word for it Joe... what would be the gain for making something like that up
thanks for sharing your story 8)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:33 pm 

Penage Guy wrote:
Seeing is believing.

I ran out of time today to do further testing, but will verify the chrony readings again tomorrow. As for recording the results. I need to figure out how to upload video from my camera so that you all can view it. I tried before but the format the video posted on photobucket, couldn't be viewed. I'll try though.
also there are a few people on here that know of my testing and posted results. There is no reason for me to fabricate such a story.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:03 pm 

Joe, I'm not doubting your story at all. You saw it, so I believe it. :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:12 pm 

maybe you're on to something Joe, maybe every spring airgun has its optimal spring length and measurements(OD and thickness), maybe the 34 shoots best at the size your spring is currently set at, makes sense since its vibration would have been reduced, its possible that it wouldn't be transferred to the barrel as much, there is a lot of information on the right pellet for your barrel, maybe spring size is undervalued data(other then a 12ft/lbs kit that is)

my two cents

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:58 pm 

:) Serendipity :) Good read, thanks Joe.

Last edited by rickralph on Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:59 pm 

It's amazing how things can turn out, that's for sure. So the spring now has a 1/4" of clear space? What does it sound like when shot - can you hear it bouncing? :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:49 am 

I guess I forgot to detail what happened with the gun. I was so totally stunned by the chrony and accuracy results.
First of all, the gun cocks much more easily. The trigger was great before, but is now more of a hair trigger,but doesn't feel unsafe or dangerous. The piston doesn't slam hard as before, or as loud. there is no feeling of bounce back and no twang. the kick that has destroyed a couple of scopes before, now feels like any scope could withstand it.
I have to take it apart again today because I neglected to put any grease in it. I was only interested in test firing to see what my fps was and intended to clean and lube everything later.I hope doing so doesn't change things too much. I,ll keep you posted.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:32 am 

Sounds like a fun time shooting with Wayne. I have a farmer who wants me to clear out some buildings but it's been so damn cold.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:49 am 

Sonic wrote:
Sounds like a fun time shooting with Wayne. I have a farmer who wants me to clear out some buildings but it's been so damn cold.

It was a blast. pardon the pun. Luckily it was hovering around 0 degrees and probably higher in the barn. You need at least that temp for C02, which as I see is your go to gun lately.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:10 am 

Well I did some more testing this morning and I'm sad to say the results from yesterday must have been a glitch or a fluke. This morning the results were 510 fps avg with an 8 fps extreme spread over 10 shots. However there were only 2 shots that dropped down to 505 and 506 fps and one at 512.7 fps. the rest were 2 fps above or below 510. Then I cleaned and lubed as per normal lubing, and the gun settled in at an avg of 506 fps with an extreme spread of only 4 fps over 10 shots. 5 of the 10 shots were 506 fps. Accuracy has not changed, still about 3/8 " at 20 yds. with a 15 km wind. however the first 8 yds are from inside my basement.
After the lube job, the gun is now as smooth as silk when cocking and firing. No twang or any other unusual noises. I have plenty of high power guns, pcp, so I think I might keep the Diana like it is.
One other observation. I tried it at 14 yds and 20 yds. there was no change in poi. Or at least not that I could tell through the scope. So for starling hunting, I technically should be able to get a head shot every time. If I do my part.
Any way thanks for reading. Cheers.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:11 am 

joe hickey wrote:
Well I did some more testing this morning and I'm sad to say the results from yesterday must have been a glitch or a fluke..

had a feeling it sounded to good to stay that way :(

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:17 am 

Ace wrote:
joe hickey wrote:
Well I did some more testing this morning and I'm sad to say the results from yesterday must have been a glitch or a fluke..

had a feeling it sounded to good to stay that way :(

me to. :cry: