Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Re: Daisy 880 Review
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 11:10 am 

Here is bunch of crazy stuff people doing on the little "Toyish" gun and some says it can shoot up to 110yd(100m), which I cannot imagine for that...
https://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/in ... ic=99840.0
Anyone tried these here please share experience :rolleyes:

Finally get my PAL after 1 year waiting

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 5:02 pm 
Site Moderator

Atlas_cn wrote:
Here is bunch of crazy stuff people doing on the little "Toyish" gun and some says it can shoot up to 110yd(100m), which I cannot imagine for that...

The Daisy 880 is an accurate multi-pump rifle with an American price that was only $40-45 for several years. I was in a WMart-USA store last week and noticed they increased to $60. The low price is still a big attraction. With a few very easy mods I managed to get mine shooting under an inch at 30 yards. Not bad for the $45 I spent.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 7:33 pm 

TCooper wrote:
Atlas_cn wrote:

The Daisy 880 is an accurate multi-pump rifle with an American price that was only $40-45 for several years. I was in a WMart-USA store last week and noticed they increased to $60. The low price is still a big attraction. With a few very easy mods I managed to get mine shooting under an inch at 30 yards. Not bad for the $45 I spent.

Yes it is for this price and velocity you can get. What mods did you did and how it is?

Finally get my PAL after 1 year waiting

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 9:31 pm 

Funny this old thread came up. I hadn't shot my 880 (the same one mentioned in this thread) in a long time, so I got it out a few days ago and it wouldn't hold air! I flushed it with 30wt nd oil, and Liquid Wrench Super Lube. It held air, but leaked down overnight. So I flushed it again. It spitted out some pretty dirty oil. Now it doesn't leak down and shoots the same as it always has. The gun has been shot a lot. Accuracy and speed has not changed. The stock is still tight in the wrist. The gun looks and shoots like a new gun.

I recently restored a 1987 Crosman 2100 classic. With a full power valve, it shoots a little faster than the 880 (about 40fps) and appears to be very accurate. The Crosman is a great pumper. With the metal receiver, it feels nicely balanced, has a nicer trigger than the Daisy, but has easily twice the pumping effort up to 4 pumps. Then it increases to 3 and 4 times the pumping effort up to 10 pumps compared to the Daisy. They both wear 4x32 scopes. I honestly can't tell much difference in accuracy, with maybe a slight edge to the Daisy. The Daisy shoots any pellet well. I can't tell about the Crosman yet. I can't say one is better than the other, but I can say they are both excellent, very different pumpers. So which one do I prefer? The Daisy (regardless of price).The Daisy is so easy to pump, I can shoot it for hours.
If you're trying to decide which one to buy, it won't matter. You will be pleased with either one, particularly if you have forearms like Popeye.
I'm keeping both of them.
Edit: Both guns are stock. The Daisy has the tape mod to stabilise the barrel. The Crosman does not.

Attachments:
IMG_20220506_205308_656.JPG
IMG_20220506_205308_656.JPG [ 204.87 KiB | Viewed 570 times ]

Nothing works and I don't know why.

Two lathes and too many projects

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 11:07 pm 
Site Moderator

ricksplace wrote:
Funny this old thread came up. I hadn't shot my 880 (the same one mentioned in this thread) in a long time, so I got it out a few days ago and it wouldn't hold air! I flushed it with 30wt nd oil, and Liquid Wrench Super Lube. It held air, but leaked down overnight. So I flushed it again. It spitted out some pretty dirty oil. Now it doesn't leak down and shoots the same as it always has. The gun has been shot a lot. Accuracy and speed has not changed. The stock is still tight in the wrist. The gun looks and shoots like a new gun.

I recently restored a 1987 Crosman 2100 classic. With a full power valve, it shoots a little faster than the 880 (about 40fps) and appears to be very accurate. The Crosman is a great pumper. With the metal receiver, it feels nicely balanced, has a nicer trigger than the Daisy, but has easily twice the pumping effort up to 4 pumps. Then it increases to 3 and 4 times the pumping effort up to 10 pumps compared to the Daisy. They both wear 4x32 scopes. I honestly can't tell much difference in accuracy, with maybe a slight edge to the Daisy. The Daisy shoots any pellet well. I can't tell about the Crosman yet. I can't say one is better than the other, but I can say they are both excellent, very different pumpers. So which one do I prefer? The Daisy (regardless of price).The Daisy is so easy to pump, I can shoot it for hours.
If you're trying to decide which one to buy, it won't matter. You will be pleased with either one, particularly if you have forearms like Popeye.
I'm keeping both of them.
Edit: Both guns are stock. The Daisy has the tape mod to stabilise the barrel. The Crosman does not.

Hey Rick. What are the comparison measurements on these rifles between the pump pivots and end of pump levers? I wonder if one has more leverage than the other. The Daisy is very easy to pump.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 11:13 pm 
Site Moderator

Atlas_cn wrote:
TCooper wrote:
Atlas_cn wrote:

Yes it is for this price and velocity you can get. What mods did you did and how it is?

All I did to my Daisy 880 was shim the barrel with rubber washers and electrical tape. I'm not even sure if shimming the barrel helped at all. I read about it online and it didn't cost anything to try out. I also added some lead weights inside but that was just to help me hold more steady.

You can read this entire thread from the beginning to get a clear idea of how my 880 shot. I give detailed accuracy numbers, velocity numbers, target pics and I mentioned the mods I did. With a good pellet this rifle averaged under half inch groups at 20 yards.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 8:59 am 

Hey Todd.
The Crosman 2100 classic from hinge to end of forearm is 10.25"
The Daisy 880 from hinge to end of pumping handle is 12.25"

There is more leverage with the longer pump arm, but in my opinion, it's not enough to account for the huge difference in pumping effort between the two guns.
The design of the pumping arms make a difference too. The Daisy handle is designed to naturally hold it at the end for maximum leverage with no risk of pinching finger skin. The Crosman pumping forearm is not usually held close to the end to minimize the possibility of a pinch when pumping, thereby reducing the leverage to about 8". I had one pinch when pumping the 2100. You don't want to experience that. I have never had a pinch with the 880.

I have no idea why the Daisy is so easy to pump. If Crosman could make their 2100 as easy to pump as the 880, it would be an unbeatable pumper.

Nothing works and I don't know why.

Two lathes and too many projects