Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Pet Peeve
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:28 pm 

Well we finally have a nice day here in NS. Sunny, light breeze, and 10 degrees. So I took the Diana "that I had shortened the spring on a few weeks ago" out for a few shots. I still can't believe the accuracy of this gun at 510 fps. I was considering doing a video, and a pet peeve occurred to me, that I am also guilty of, and that is, why don't people sight in the gun to hit bulls eyes before videoing. I have seen hundreds of video,s where the poi is somewhere "other" than the bulls eye. The shooter always says, I'm just trying to see what the gun is grouping like. In fact I have seen maybe only a hand full where the group is in the bull. Even Ted on Ted,s holdover does it. Also, when a shooter hits a bulls eye on the first shot, they are surprised by it, when in fact, they should be surprised that they "didn't" hit it.
Anyway, that,s my rant of the day. Oh and sorry I didn't make the video. Maybe later.

Post subject: Re: Pet Peeve
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:57 pm 

I agree. Unless I am sighted in at a given distance and I'm shooting at another windage should at least be dead on...little high or a little low is excusable

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:18 pm 

Right!
And what about those Pros making videos including velocity tests
with a Chrono that doesn't work!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:26 pm 

Shooting groups with a rifle that is sighted in to take the center out of the bull, and hence obscure the aiming point is problematic.... When I am shooting for groups, I purposely have the gun sighted in so that the impact is low, and in a white area on the target so that I can see the POI.... To me, it is completely different than sighting in a gun for hunting or shooting for a score.... The best targets for scoring are those where you only shoot one shot per target, for three reasons.... The shot will not obscure the aiming point for the next shot, there will be no argument as to how many shots went through the hole, and a scoring plug will center accurately when required....

For hunting, I always use the "Point Blank" method, using a suitable Kill Zone size for the quarry.... For most of my hunting, that is 1/2", which means pellets will hit within 1/4" vertically of the crosshairs.... That gives me a range of distances, from Near Point Blank to Far Point Blank, where the pellet is 1/4" low, there being two zeros and a high point between where the pellet is 1/4" above the POA.... I only have to use holdover beyond the Far Point Blank point, or closer than the Near Point Blank point, with everything else between being a dead on hold.... For 99% of my shooting, therefore, the groups are not precisely at the POA....

Bob

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:08 pm 

Joe you are entitled to your peeve!
It doesn't bother me much though... adding to what Bob said, I have found that when pellet testing different pellets will shoot to a different POI. If I was just showing groups, I probably wouldn't adjust the scope to have them hit the bull for each type of pellet. However, all this from memory as I haven't loaded a pellet in like 6 months. :cry:

))))----//----------==

Iacio, ergo sum

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:39 am 

rsterne wrote:
For hunting, I always use the "Point Blank" method, using a suitable Kill Zone size for the quarry.... For most of my hunting, that is 1/2", which means pellets will hit within 1/4" vertically of the crosshairs.... That gives me a range of distances, from Near Point Blank to Far Point Blank, where the pellet is 1/4" low, there being two zeros and a high point between where the pellet is 1/4" above the POA.... I only have to use holdover beyond the Far Point Blank point, or closer than the Near Point Blank point, with everything else between being a dead on hold.... For 99% of my shooting, therefore, the groups are not precisely at the POA....

Bob

Interesting way of sighting a scope. Looking at chair gun i see that for jsb exact .22 at ~900 Fps, that would give a range of about 10-35 yards without use hold-over.
Which is a pretty reasonable hunting range.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:05 pm 

That 'optimize zero' tool in Chairgun is something I use for all my pocket trajectory charts. Very handy for field target. Having 2 zeroes instead of 1 makes a lot of sense for airgun use, especially at ~500fps and slower, as it gives you 2 ranges within which you don't really need to think about it. Combined with a small killzone (I use 1.5cm for HFT) it makes shooting simpler. Just glance at the graph I keep in pocket, laminated, where I've also printed the rangecard (saved as image, cropped to include just the metres and holdover/under) out to whatever practical limit of a given airgun, and I pretty much know exactly where the pellet's going to land at any distance so long as I guess the distance right. No lasers allowed in HFT though so estimation becomes a skill in need of refinement.