Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:12 pm 

Picked up a new Phantom in .22.

Cleaned tube and lightly polished with emery cloth to remove burrs

Removed 1st stage spring and pin to reduce trigger pull.

Ordered an RC 5 x 8 x 2.5 bearing to do the trigger mod for reducing travel.

Ordered a "repair" kit from Eric to replace internals.

Cleaned barrel. Removed front sight and recrowned barrel. Will install a Crosman Muzzle Brake (thanks Huck for the part number)

Have a new Barska 2-7 X 32 springer rated scope to put on it.

Can't wait to put it together and try it out.

Focus isn't the greatest on recrown pics.

Jim

Attachments:
Crosman 3.jpg
Crosman 3.jpg [ 32.12 KiB | Viewed 1659 times ]
Crosman 2.jpg
Crosman 2.jpg [ 27.1 KiB | Viewed 1659 times ]
Crosman 4.jpg
Crosman 4.jpg [ 29.12 KiB | Viewed 1659 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:25 pm 

Well....the repair kit came in..

Good news is....

New spring is 10 3/8" long 35 coils .1230 diameter

Old spring is 9 5/8" long 33 coils .990 diameter

The piston is exactly the same as what the rifle came with. In hindsight I guess I could have just ordered the spring from Gravel Agency, $12.39 and saved myself some money.

Probably assemble on the weekend. Still waiting on the RC Bearing for the trigger mod.

Original piston and spring is on the bottom in the pic...

Jim

Attachments:
Crosman 5.jpg
Crosman 5.jpg [ 53.8 KiB | Viewed 1625 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:19 pm 

Let us know how well this Phantom works. A couple of months ago I passed on a perfectly fine one being sold locally for a mere $40 (well, listed at 50 but the cheap bastard in me offered 40 and he accepted). However due to this being a .22 I shied away. 3 weeks goes by and I contact the guy saying I want to buy it - to which he replied it had been sold the previous day.
So I spent the next 3 days kicking myself in the as.s

Now that I have a QB in .22 and stuck in the .22 world, I may buy a Phantom down the road. That is, assuming it's a worth buy. Let me know how well these mods work. Clearly not a superior machine to the QB but hell, as the trend goes, you can never have only one of the same thing.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:38 pm 

Well, I couldn't wait, put her back together after supper. I tried 5 shots basically point blank in a 2X4 just to make sure everything was working the way it should, safety etc. Trigger is nice and light, fair bit of travel but that will be taken care of when I get the RC Bearing.

Will mount the scope and sight her in tomorrow.

Funny how I automatically refer to the rifle as "her"....what's up with that??

Jim

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:33 pm 

How did you do the crown...do you have a lathe?
The 5x8x2.5mm trigger bearing may be not enough,at least for me it wasn't,I used a 5x9x3mm.
Get the scope on and get-ta shootin! Huck

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:45 pm 

Huck wrote:
How did you do the crown...do you have a lathe?
The 5x8x2.5mm trigger bearing may be not enough,at least for me it wasn't,I used a 5x9x3mm.
Get the scope on and get-ta shootin! Huck

Drill...valve grinding compound....couple of brass acorn nuts.....brass machine screw with the head cut off...put one end of screw in drill chuck, put acorn nut on the other, dab some grinding compound on it, and away you go.

Do a search on recrowning barrels....lots of info out there..

Jim

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:12 pm 

Roussfam wrote:
Well, I couldn't wait, put her back together after supper. I tried 5 shots basically point blank in a 2X4 just to make sure everything was working the way it should, safety etc. Trigger is nice and light, fair bit of travel but that will be taken care of when I get the RC Bearing.

Jim

all mine are girls ;) aint holding a guy like I hold them 8)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:21 pm 

With names like Daisy and Diana it's hard to think of a rifle other than a girl.

Jim, thanks for the detailed PM. It shows me that I did make a bit mistake not nabbing that Phantom for $40 when I had the chance. It looks like a decent platform to work on, especially once you upgrade it to full power.
Will keep an eye out for another deal like that. Since these are sold are Crappy Tire (overpriced as it may be) chances are they'll pop up second hand for close to nothing. I can't justify a new one but hey, for 40 bux how can you go wrong? As was mentioned in another thread, cheap guns can be fun to shoot. Especially when converted to full power.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:26 pm 

I miss a good old phantom, had 1 in a wood 500x stock stained in ebony that still haunts my dreams... great guns and thanks to yall I may just have to get another (bought and sold 5) :drinkers:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:55 am 

Hacked2Pieces wrote:
Roussfam wrote:

Jim

all mine are girls ;) aint holding a guy like I hold them 8)

Morning coffee sprayed all over the keyboard!

Thanks a lot! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:40 am 

I also removed the first stage spring, but I used a longer trigger adjustment screw. The longer screw allows you to fine tune the sear release until it will just pass the bump test.

I tried the bearing first, the longer screw allows for adjustment whereas the bearing does not.

Also, the bearing makes the safety ineffective, and worse, the safety appears to work, when in fact it does not.

With the first stage spring removed and the longer trigger adjustment screw, you can push the trigger forward (your finger taking the place of the first stage spring) and engage the safety. The safety then functions as normal.

Can't remember for sure what machine screw size works. #5 I think... Lots of examples on google.

You don't have to disassemble the trigger group to change the screw, or even take it out of the stock.

Nothing works and I don't know why.

Two lathes and too many projects

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:35 am 

ricksplace wrote:
I also removed the first stage spring, but I used a longer trigger adjustment screw. The longer screw allows you to fine tune the sear release until it will just pass the bump test.

I tried the bearing first, the longer screw allows for adjustment whereas the bearing does not.

Also, the bearing makes the safety ineffective, and worse, the safety appears to work, when in fact it does not.

With the first stage spring removed and the longer trigger adjustment screw, you can push the trigger forward (your finger taking the place of the first stage spring) and engage the safety. The safety then functions as normal.

Can't remember for sure what machine screw size works. #5 I think... Lots of examples on google.

You don't have to disassemble the trigger group to change the screw, or even take it out of the stock.

I'll keep it mind, Bearing is on it's way anyways, first I've heard about it making the safety ineffective. I've heard about failing the bump test if you use a bearing that has a larger OD. that's why I figured I would settle for an 8mm.

Jim

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:56 pm 

Roussfam wrote:
Bought a Phantom last Saturday, ordered a full power kit from Scopes and Ammo Sunday, received the kit yesterday, installed it last night, mounted the scope today, spent an hour shooting this morning.....welcome to springer hell...might as well use a shotgun...I couldn't group for the life of me.

This was my second kick at the cat, my first was a Ruger AirHawk with Vortek Kit, I couldn't group with that, so I sold it...then the craving got to be too much so I bought the Phantom and thought that I would try again.

Well, the Phantom is already history, gone today, bye bye....
Jim

so I guess it didn't work out eh!.....

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:02 pm 

Ace wrote:
Roussfam wrote:
Bought a Phantom last Saturday, ordered a full power kit from Scopes and Ammo Sunday, received the kit yesterday, installed it last night, mounted the scope today, spent an hour shooting this morning.....welcome to springer hell...might as well use a shotgun...I couldn't group for the life of me.

This was my second kick at the cat, my first was a Ruger AirHawk with Vortek Kit, I couldn't group with that, so I sold it...then the craving got to be too much so I bought the Phantom and thought that I would try again.

Well, the Phantom is already history, gone today, bye bye....
Jim

so I guess it didn't work out eh!.....

Sucker for punishment...I think I'll go back to throwing my money away at the slots...less aggravation

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:08 pm 

Roussfam wrote:
Sucker for punishment...I think I'll go back to throwing my money away at the slots...less aggravation

:lol: :lol: 8)