Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:58 am 

Hi gents,

I have a Crosman 8008 Repeatair that holds an 8-pellet magazine. Since day 1, it's never fired all 8 pellets - some remain in the magazine. The CO2 seal is oiled, and I screw the CO2 cylinder fastener really tight to ensure complete puncture, yet it misfires all the time... Any suggestions? I'm using Crosman wadcutters.

Thanks in advance!

H

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:44 pm 

I haven't a clue about the specific airgun as I've never seen one. And Google isn't turning up anything for me either. But at a guess, I'd suggest trying a round-nosed pellet and seeing if those also fail to fire. A wadcutter's flat face might be catching on the edge of the breech if there's even slight misalignment of the rotary magazine, if it's indexing incorrectly. A round-nosed pellet such as a JSB Exact would perhaps offer some wiggle room, slipping past the breech entry point. If that proves to work, then I'd suggest either switching to the round-nose pellets full time, or reaming out the breech entry point with a countersink to ease entry for the wadcutters.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:34 pm 

Excellent suggestion - I'll give that a try...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:56 pm 

GerardSamija wrote:
I haven't a clue about the specific airgun as I've never seen one. And Google isn't turning up anything for me either. But at a guess, I'd suggest trying a round-nosed pellet and seeing if those also fail to fire. A wadcutter's flat face might be catching on the edge of the breech if there's even slight misalignment of the rotary magazine, if it's indexing incorrectly. A round-nosed pellet such as a JSB Exact would perhaps offer some wiggle room, slipping past the breech entry point. If that proves to work, then I'd suggest either switching to the round-nose pellets full time, or reaming out the breech entry point with a countersink to ease entry for the wadcutters.

The pistol version is the Repeatair 1008 and the rifle version is 1077.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:54 pm 

1008 - I stand corrected!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:21 pm 

Well GerardSamija - you were absolutely right. Got myself some pointed pellets, and voila - all 8 in the magazine shoot just fine. Thank you for the great tip! (Pun not intended 8) )

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:50 pm 

Glad to hear it! It just seemed a bit too likely that indexing would be less than perfect on such a model, where something like a rotary magazine on an FX or AirArms model would index perfectly. Often the lower-priced airguns take a lot of TLC to get them ticking along happily so we can focus on fun shooting. I've done a LOT of tinkering with my 2240 and QB57 to make them suit my standards both aesthetically and functionally, but it's worthwhile once all the bugs and cheapness get sorted out, and I build skills through the experience. Happy plinking!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:45 am 

Well, seems now the pointed pellets are getting stuck as well. None of them leave the gun, so I bought new clips thinking that the indexing notches were worn. Not the case - the same issue persists. You can see little notches on the pellets themselves showing where they're catching on the barrel.

Maybe it's time to replace the pistol??? Any suggestions welcome.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:25 pm 

Hominid wrote:
Well, seems now the pointed pellets are getting stuck as well. None of them leave the gun, so I bought new clips thinking that the indexing notches were worn. Not the case - the same issue persists. You can see little notches on the pellets themselves showing where they're catching on the barrel.

Wonder if it is time for a valve rebuild, or I wonder if the index finger is worn, so it's not indexing the clip and the timing is all messed up?

I have the big brother the 2210 in 22cal, and I only can use wadcutter pellets.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:30 pm 

leadslinger wrote:
Hominid wrote:

Wonder if it is time for a valve rebuild, or I wonder if the index finger is worn, so it's not indexing the clip and the timing is all messed up?

Simply poor design & materials... built in obsolescence. On the plus side, my son sent me his P1377 Crosman American Classic... he upgraded to a .22.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:33 pm 

Hominid wrote:
leadslinger wrote:
Hominid wrote:

Simply poor design & materials... built in obsolescence. On the plus side, my son sent me his P1377 Crosman American Classic... he upgraded to a .22.

Yeah 1008 was my first Co2 pistol. The 2210 ( 22 version ) is probably the lowest quality crosman I have. Im afraid to use it, because it is rare, and all plastic.