Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Mod Day
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:32 am 

What a great Saturday I had.
I completed 3 mods on my 2240.
My first mod was pinning the valve . I can sure see this mod was needed to line my valve exhaust and transfer port.
Next I made myself a nice brass left handed safety. This makes a big difference for us lefty.
Then to finish the day my last mod was making my hammer spring cap into a RVA. This worked out great along with a little shorter hammer spring I gained 12 shots per 12g crt. :D

This was my first time pinning the valve and making the RVA.
The forums info is great help in completing these mods.

I have a new Crony on order, it should arrive this week.
So I guess my addiction is starting to get a lot deeper. :shock:

Has anyone else completed new mods lately?

Post subject: Re: Mod Day
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:54 pm 

It's a great feeling when you can make something better than the original. It sure can become a bit of an obsession though. I seem to have been having trouble with the 'completing' part recently - I keep getting sidetracked into interesting diversions!

Jim

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:05 pm 

That bit about cutting the hammer spring and getting an extra 12 shots per 12 gram cart... sounds like you're on the right track even without a Chrony! That's what I was after in somewhat recent mods to my Brocock Atomic. It's PCP, but with a very small cylinder, so every shot out of a pumping session is precious. Managing to double the advertised shot count to 70 with velocity ranging from 430fps up to around 510fps than back down to 430fps was a great step. After that it was down to fine-tuning, as such a wide velocity spread wasn't very useful for field target or any kind of target shooting really, too much wandering up and down through the fill. So with that high count established I worked on the hammer and spring further, cutting down hammer weight as much as seemed sensible and trimming the hammer spring length, while adding an RVA so I could figure out a schedule of adjustment to keep it hovering right around 500fps. I got it figured out. I get 47 shots averaging 500fps and a very close extreme spread. No need to compensate aim at any point in the string. Got to love it when you finally figure out how to balance all the variables.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:31 am 

I can sure see the need for a note book on the work bench!
So much to learn and remember, numbers, sizes , FPS -----------------------------.