Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Handgun powder
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:37 pm 

Anyone knows if there's still handgun powder in Canada?

Yeah right, like you're going to post a link if you find some Image

I smell a government plot. But jokes aside, what's the deal with powder,it's not complicated to make and i don't think we're running out of resources
Ideas?

Post subject: Re: Handgun powder
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:03 pm 

Not hard to find here. Or if it is, I'm glad I have lots.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:00 pm 

Is handgun powder different than regular smokeless powder??

Crosman 2240
Daisy 953
Ruger Green Mountain Laminate 10/22+Hawke Airmax 3-9x40 AO
1950 Russian SKS
Remington 783 30-06 Hawke Vantage 6-24x44 SF

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:05 pm 

Generally faster burning, otherwise the same stuff....

Bob

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:32 am 

These guys are great to deal with. Bought quite a few bricks of .22LR ammo from them!
http://www.grouseriver.com/Winchester-231-Powder-1-lb-_4

Used 231 for a long time. Used it for all my .45 ACP, .45 Long Colt, 9mm, .38 Special, .357 Magnum, .40 S&W, .38 Stupid.
Bought in 8 lb Kegs.

Brocock Concept .22
3 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:29 am 

AirForceAddict wrote:
Not hard to find here. Or if it is, I'm glad I have lots.

Good thing cause 90+% of the places i've checked are out, or have VIHTAVUORI at $50+ a pound

Grouse is also out Rick :(

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:20 am 

Maybe what "they" are against is the concept of civilians having the means afforded by handgun smokeless powder in terms of the potential for skills development with the effective use of handguns. Reloaded pistol ammo is essential to the cultivation of handgunning expertise, while routinely practicing with factory-loaded pistol fodder is beyond the reach of most of us pistoleros.

Here in the Third World, the powers-that-be are displeased with the idea of their subjects being capable of outshooting or outgunning agents of the state (in the realm of friendly practical shooting tournaments, of course), especially given that a great majority of these agents are lousy shots to begin with. :D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:18 am 

Air Heir wrote:
Maybe what "they" are against is the concept of civilians having the means afforded by handgun smokeless powder in terms of the potential for skills development with the effective use of handguns. Reloaded pistol ammo is essential to the cultivation of handgunning expertise, while routinely practicing with factory-loaded pistol fodder is beyond the reach of most of us pistoleros.

Boy, "they" sure are clever and diabolical. What's next? With this line of thinking it should soon be impossible to get powder for CF rifles. Then "they" will lord up all the .22LR ammo, too! Wait, they've done that already, haven't they? :wink: Next they will make bird shot for shotgun shells impossible to find. Then arrows for bows and ball bearings and marbles for slingshots will disappear off the shelves! :o

On the other hand, it could be a temporary shortage. Have American reloaders found it hard to find handgun powder?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:36 pm 

heard this, which makes sense since they cant make enough ammo these days

" I have heard many stories about the government causing the shortage, but according to the manufacturers, this is just not the case.

An employee at Alliant Powder said “The OEM’s are using powder like a black hole in space sucking in all matter.”

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:18 pm 

Penage Guy wrote:
Air Heir wrote:

Boy, "they" sure are clever and diabolical. What's next? With this line of thinking it should soon be impossible to get powder for CF rifles. Then "they" will lord up all the .22LR ammo, too! Wait, they've done that already, haven't they? :wink: Next they will make bird shot for shotgun shells impossible to find. Then arrows for bows and ball bearings and marbles for slingshots will disappear off the shelves! :o

On the other hand, it could be a temporary shortage. Have American reloaders found it hard to find handgun powder?

Perhaps, the US Department of Homeland Security has again bought up another 1.6 Billion rounds of assorted ammunition. They did purchase a mere 1.6 Billion rounds as of March 2013 and surely that ain't enough yet:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ralphbenko/ ... versation/

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:48 pm 

this is just at the end of my street, its been selling powder for more then 50 years.

http://www.higginsonpowders.com/products.html

and very friendly and bilingual. french English.

if they dont have some no one does they are big supplier.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:27 am 

FRANK wrote:
this is just at the end of my street, its been selling powder for more then 50 years.

If you go to their website, you would see that they are currently out of stock with all handgun powders that they are distributors of (Hodgdon, Winchester, and Vihtavouri), and are also out of stock with most of the rifle powders that they are dealers of, too. :lol:

They have plenty of stocks of assorted blackpowder, though. 8)

.45ACP would function with blackpowder (as an expedient substitute for smokeless pistol powder)---so that may be a solution to Kobs' smokeless handgun powder supply problem.

9mm Parabellum might lack the needed case capacity to function reliably with blackpowder loads. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:06 am 

Air Heir wrote:
FRANK wrote:

If you go to their website, you would see that they are currently out of stock with all handgun powders that they are distributors of (Hodgdon, Winchester, and Vihtavouri), and are also out of stock with most of the rifle powders that they are dealers of, too. :lol:

.45ACP would function with blackpowder (as an expedient substitute for smokeless pistol powder)---so that may be a solution to Kobs' smokeless handgun powder supply problem.

9mm Parabellum might lack the needed case capacity to function reliably with blackpowder loads. 8)

Call Them. and some on site is in stock.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:10 am 

I was able to get some longshot , i'd rather have some titegroup but that will do for now for the 357
(there was a 2 pound limit though) :?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:32 am 

FRANK wrote:
Air Heir wrote:
FRANK wrote:

Call Them. and some on site is in stock.

No need for me to call them because I absolutely believe you and take your word for it. It's good to hear that there are still some handgun powder to be had in Canada, albeit in apparently scarce quantities. :D