Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 7:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Good enough for ya, Jim?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:22 am 

Been meaning to try what Jim suggested for a while now, to try and place a pellet inside a small hole. Months went by and just now I had the chance to try this, as I try to find creative ways to enjoy this sport. Came across a white plastic container, cut the bottom portion out and made a small hole in the centre, smaller than a dime. Figured the somewhat soft plastic ought to diminish the ricochet, which I was sure to get since Jim pointed that placing a pellet inside the hole to be no easy task.

Heh, how's this for the very first shot? And that's with a pistol using open sights, not a 50x zoom mounted on a rifle. Not sure I can blame this on sheer luck or the fact the P17 is such an excellent pistol.

Two handed, semi-rested, 6m away using the crappy fibre optics at night. There ya go Jim man, had to demoralize you a bit :P

Attachments:
bullseye.jpg
bullseye.jpg [ 66.93 KiB | Viewed 3455 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:16 am 

A quick follow up to the above: shot 2 more pellets and they piled up. That's 3 for 3. Missed the next two but got the 6th to pile up (not shown in pic which shows the first three shots)
I like this hole target idea. Although I may have to make the hole a lot smaller in the next iteration if this is to mount a challenge (yes Jim, I'm rubbing it in).
Guess it wasn't about luck after all. It's all thanks to the amazing P17.

Attachments:
3x in a row.jpg
3x in a row.jpg [ 46.33 KiB | Viewed 3446 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:37 am 

to prove my worth i shoot plastic thumb tack 25 meters away with a rifle.

Very nice shooting and with the follow up's shots we know it's for real unless you had barrel 2" from target lol Joking I trust you.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:31 am 

Good shooting.
When I was a kid, I used to put a .22 bullet into a post, then draw a circle around it with a magic marker - appeared I always hit the exact middle. :D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:30 am 

FRANK wrote:
and with the follow up's shots we know it's for real unless you had barrel 2" from target lol Joking I trust you.

I'm a staunt believer that you shouldn't believe everything you see on the internet. However to the trained eye there is one very good clue that renders my claim true: the depth of the pellets. You can see a bunch of pellets on the trap, they were shot with the P17 the previous day as I was adjusting the sights, from the same distance. Being a weak gun the pellets only go into the duct seal about halfway, from 6m away. The centre shots show consistency as far as the amount of imbedding.

I was truly surprised when I saw the first pellet dead centre. Truly didn't expect it. And for me to get 4 out of 6 in there is surprising beyond belief. And this from someone that hardly ever shoots a pistol (been months since I even shot the P17). And at night using those crappy fibre optic sights. And at a brand new target.
Yep, I wouldn't have believed it if it had been anyone else posting this. Heck, I still don't believe it. Keep thinking with all this luck on my side I really should buy a Lotto ticket, especially now that the tally is over $44 million.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:29 pm 

Awesome!!! And way too good for me!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:34 pm 

Great shooting! What was the distance?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:37 pm 

damack wrote:
Great shooting! What was the distance?

Quote:
Two handed, semi-rested, 6m away using the crappy fibre optics at night.

:wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:41 pm 

Real nice shots, Joolz! Once I saw a ''bell box'' with a hole about that size, when you shot through the hole, a bell rang. I just don't remember exactly where I saw it. I find your idea a really interesting challenge to try!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:46 pm 

airmec wrote:
Real nice shots, Joolz! Once I saw a ''bell box'' with a hole about that size, when you shot through the hole, a bell rang. I just don't remember exactly where I saw it. I find your idea a really interesting challenge to try!

We have a target like that on our black powder trail. Put the ball through the hole and it rings the bell hanging inside. It rings a long time with a shot from my 14 bore rifle. (480gr. round ball) My .32 squirrel rifle makes it go 'tink'.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:48 pm 

airmec wrote:
I find your idea a really interesting challenge to try!

Credit goes to Jim for the idea (everhopeful). Not sure what he uses to shoot through the hole but using a somewhat pliable plastic container means no pellets all over the place when you miss. The shots I missed just managed to break the plastic a bit and fall inside. Still can't believe I was able to see the hole that's about 2/3 the size of a dime from 6m away in the evening. The plan now is to try to hit the same hole with a Crosman 357, something I plan to try later tonight once things settle down a bit around here.

Daryl wrote:
Good shooting.
When I was a kid, I used to put a .22 bullet into a post, then draw a circle around it with a magic marker - appeared I always hit the exact middle. :D

You're the expert on both so you tell me: isn't it harder to pile up lead with a powderburner? I'd think that due to the supersonic speed of a .22 it would be harder to hit a bullseye than a pellet. Just curious, I haven't shot any 22 yet.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:55 pm 

EverHopeful wrote:
Awesome!!! And way too good for me!

Curious how you made yours? Possible to post pics? Due to the surroundings I had to use a bit of caution to avoid ricochets. The benefit of this is that I have a nice white area with a black centre hole to aim for, thanks to the duct seal. So even at night it's not hard to spot the bullseye.
This was a timely addition to the fun as I was getting a bit tired of paper punching. And stated above, credit goes to you for the idea.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:05 pm 

I can't take credit for the idea, it's probably been around in one form or another almost as long as people have had guns to shoot with. I'd love to have a proper bell target for the club, that would be great fun. The one I made fits in front of a princess auto auto resetting target. I just drilled four holes in a piece of steel flat bar. You're right though, it creates ricochets like nobodys business, and near misses shred the pellets. Definitely an outdoors or at the club thing. What you've done is really nice from that point of view, and the white/black contrast is good too. I put orange stickers on the paddles of the target and light them up with a strip of LEDs. When they're new it's pretty good, but after a couple of shots it's back to grey on grey and difficult to see. Good thing I bought lots of stickers :)

[edit] Found a photo :)

Attachment:
target2.jpg
target2.jpg [ 151.95 KiB | Viewed 3324 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:53 pm 

Like the idea of the plate in front of the spinner, less likelihood of a pellet hitting one of the angles of the arm and flying someplace you don't a pellet to head into. Why not put a cm of duct seal on the plate? This will catch any pellets that fail to pass through the hole. The spinner is next on the agenda, something I used once when i first bought it.

Below are pics of my creation in case it helps someone seeing how simple it is to make. Just now realized how tiny the hole is compared to a dime. Wow, just when i thought I couldn't tap myself on the shoulder any more I now see how truly amazing those shots were. Still can't believe I did this. Soon will be trying with the 357, which may turn into a completely different story. Will post results then.

Attachments:
raw material.jpg
raw material.jpg [ 39.04 KiB | Viewed 3321 times ]
tiny hole.jpg
tiny hole.jpg [ 34.03 KiB | Viewed 3321 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:24 pm 

topic68036.html