Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:50 pm 

Do any members have experience doing this? I have heard of owners drilling holes in the existing sights then filling those in with white nail polish. I am not exactly mister handy so any detailed advice would be much appreciated. I have a standard 18v drill and lots of bits but no vice. Thanks.

Kochang.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:52 pm 

Just put a dab of correction fluid on the sight.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:00 pm 

Plasticman wrote:
Just put a dab of correction fluid on the sight.

True and I have read about a few people doing that but was thinking about something more permanent. Was hoping a member may have some tips that could keep me from screwing it up, which is a distinct possibility.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:08 pm 

I would think you could find some day glo model paint and touch up your pistols sights.
Myself I like the neon glo sights.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:15 pm 

Assuming the sights are plastic I would use a pin or needle to use for starting the hole, that way you can eye ball it and/or measure to be sure it's in the correct spot. Once you have that you can use the needle to open it up a bit so you have a pilot hole big enough for a tiny drill of say .035". I like dots small like that but most are bigger, so if you want say .080" then I would still use a smaller bit to make a pilot for the larger one. Standard drill bits will more or less self center as long as the pilot hole is big enough, so if you don't use a pilot or too small of one then the bit will probably walk and you're screwed.
Then use whatever white or colored paint to fill the hole. Or you can use glow paint if you want which I use for shooting rats at night. Plastic is very easy to drill so I would do it by hand using a little jewelers chuck, but you can also wrap the bit with tape. The hole only needs to be deep enough to be round and hold paint. You can also just dab paint on the sight, but it'll probably pop off.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:49 am 

Chevota wrote:
Assuming the sights are plastic I would use a pin or needle to use for starting the hole, that way you can eye ball it and/or measure to be sure it's in the correct spot. Once you have that you can use the needle to open it up a bit so you have a pilot hole big enough for a tiny drill of say .035". I like dots small like that but most are bigger, so if you want say .080" then I would still use a smaller bit to make a pilot for the larger one. Standard drill bits will more or less self center as long as the pilot hole is big enough, so if you don't use a pilot or too small of one then the bit will probably walk and you're screwed.
Then use whatever white or colored paint to fill the hole. Or you can use glow paint if you want which I use for shooting rats at night. Plastic is very easy to drill so I would do it by hand using a little jewelers chuck, but you can also wrap the bit with tape. The hole only needs to be deep enough to be round and hold paint. You can also just dab paint on the sight, but it'll probably pop off.

Thanks for the tips. Much appreciated. I am going to try it this weekend.