Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Benjamin Trail NP2
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:54 am 

Here is the 10C$ against the grouping I got with the NP2 at 25 yards :

If not for the flyer, the 10C$ would have been enough to cover it :

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:42 pm 

voldar wrote:
Here is the 10C$ against the grouping I got with the NP2 at 25 yards :

If not for the flyer, the 10C$ would have been enough to cover it :

Well done sir..now get out there and get some tree rats...

Hw 85 .22
Bengy NP XL1100 ,397,392
RWS 48 .177 , 34 .177
Hasan 125.25, at-44.22 edge.22
Titan np.22
Crosman 1377, 1322, 1377 restricted , Ruger Mark I .22
Webley Premier .22
RWS 5 G.177
Etc....

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:19 am 

Sharrins wrote:
Well done sir..now get out there and get some tree rats...

This is what I intend to do in the following weeks. Already have my small game permit so I am only looking for a place to go. If we'd be more, it would be even better... but not many around me are small game hunters. And yes, in Québec is forbidden to shoot these tree rats we see everywhere unless they are a nuisance. So my targets will be grouse and rabbits.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:47 pm 

I just received the a Alfpha Chrony (http://scopesandammo.com/storefront/pro ... graph-p-42 ) I bought last week and I can't wait to put some numbers for this gun if the wheater is fine. :!:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:01 pm 

Ok, just did some testing and here are the results for Crosman Ultra Magnum pellets :
- lower : 756 fps
- higher : 791 fps
- average : 783.5 fps
The 756 fps registration was with a pellet I think was a little bit "deformed", because every other 8 shots were in the range of 781-788 fps. I have to redo the test some other time. For now an average of 783.5 fps is good for me. I also tested my new tripod bought when in special and free shipping at 143 $ (http://tinyurl.com/negl9ac) and let me say the NP2 shoots pellet on pellet at 25 yards when resting it on it. You only have to rest it at the same exact position. All shots were taken when sitting on a chair.

Here is an example of shooting several groups while I was testing different positions of resting the gun on the tripod. The 4 pellets group is in fact of 5, with the flyer. For the central groups, the POA was the center of the target.
The 3 pellets group on the left was when I sighted my scope and the POA was the intersection of the bolded line and the exterior cercle of the target. The coin is a 10 penny one.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:47 pm 

That pellet speed tells me either the nitro has leaked or the seals are leaking. If the seals (and I know the main seal is) the harder the piston is impacting the breech which affects accuracy and is harder on scopes. Just fyi that I think you should replace the main seal and check the breech seal. It should be 800+ in .22 if it's not leaking. Seals are cheap, like $2 in the US so I'm guessing $4 in CA?
Crosman part # CRS5177-012

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:59 am 

Thank you, chevota, for your advice. I will look into it. I found that my numbers are pretty much the ones B.B. had when testing his NP2 (http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2014/06/ ... -2-part-2/) but I will look into it. I have to say that the testing was done when outside temperature was in the 13-15 C, so this may have an impact too - and the gun has already shot 750+ pellets.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:27 pm 

I don't believe temp will be an issue, but altitude will. Just like a car loses power so will a springer. Well, most springers do.
The one BB tested was no doubt leaking too. Pretty much all of them leak, the question is by how much. It's up to you but just saying I'd replace the seal first thing. Usually I don't even fire the gun once before replacing it.
Once everything is fixed/tuned it should make 22-23 ftlbs at seal level. 783 is 19.5 which is pretty common for out of the box based on multiple reports. Some people get as low as 16, but nobody I'm aware of can hit the claimed 26. I don't know how they come up with those #'s.
Did you ever do any mods to the barrel? I always like to hear what people find wrong, how they improve it and how it worked out.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:37 pm 

Chevota wrote:
...Did you ever do any mods to the barrel? I always like to hear what people find wrong, how they improve it and how it worked out.

I am a "noob" in what is about moding an air rifle, never done that. But I am ready to learn. And yeah, I read about the seal but... I looked on the Youtube (like everybody else) and I found this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeQQ6S6WgHc about how to rebuilt a nitro piston gun. I'll look into it but I am sure I need a spring compressor - which I don't have so I need to use some wood clamps maybe. Or, just get the gun to a gunsmith and let him do the tune. Still debaiting...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:46 pm 

That vid is helpful to noobs but nothing in it about making the gun better.
You'll most likely need a spring compressor since it takes ~230lbs to compress, but you can make a super simple one for next to nothing. I have a sketch of it if you want.
Having a gun tuned properly would cost too much imo, better to do it yourself or buy a better gun. Like a Weihrauch HW80 or 90 would be similar power and size but so much better and no doubt cheaper than an NP2 + gunsmithing. I have details on home tuning if you want to look at it. chevota at hotmail and I'll send it to you. Even if you don't take the gun apart there's still stuff you can do.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:15 am 

Chevota,
It is funny you mention the HW90, I was very tempted to sell my NP2 and RAR 22lr and buy a HW90 but after seeing the accuracy of the NP2 I decided to keep it. For the rest, I sent you a private message. Have a nice day, sir !

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:08 am 

Voldar.
If you need a deccompressor i am on the south shore.
Could give you a few hints as well.
Dont bring your rifle to a quebec gunsmith. Imo they are not airgunmith. Dont know pros in Quebec.

May I suggest the gtz trigger for np2's. It a major uograde for what is worth.

Weirhauch HW100 .22
Gamo Expomatic .177
Benjamin Marauder DougP custom stock
Theoben SlR98 .22
AlEx Custom gun .22 (JezX built masterpiece) :)
Hatsan Atp2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:17 pm 

And some new target shooting at 25 yards and the last one at 50 yards. All shots using a Primos Shooting stick and in sitting position.

6 shots group (the flyers on me)

4 shots group

9 shots groups (the center one - 4 shots - after zeroing the scope)

4 shots group at 50 yards - the wind had his saying though

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:20 pm 

alextermination wrote:
... May I suggest the gtz trigger for np2's. It a major uograde for what is worth.

Thank you for the suggestion, but I do like the actual trigger. I understand the NP trigger was a mess, but the one on the NP2 is quite nice. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:18 pm 

Nice shooting, Voldar! The little red square in the middle is what, one inch in size? Good groupings :) . But you should stop shooting flyers, it doesn't look good :mrgreen: :lol: .

Have fun :D .

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next