Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:41 pm 

That's pretty creative Pete.I think I may have to make one.
I don't have anything to cut the metal with so when I get that straightened out I will give it a shot.
Are there any GTA members into metal work ?
I hope these threads are giving other members some ideas.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:53 pm 

theres a metal laser cutting place down the street from me. I was going to bring about 20 of these junction box covers in and ask if they would cut them. but I think it probably would cost too much.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:40 pm 

I;ve been thinking about another design for a target today that is so sickeneningly simple that I can't believe I didn't think of it sooner. if I get a chance to whip one up this long weekend I'll put pics soon as I do.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:20 pm 

I hope you get time to do it.You've peaked my curiosity.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:58 pm 

Nicely done, but I'd also like a crack at those Xmas lights as well :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:17 am 

Hey wait a sec. I'm a guy in your area that works with metal. I'm a sheetmetal worker and have lots of toys for cutting metal as well as sticking it back together. Would love to make a few targets up. Let me know what you are thinking.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:37 pm 

So this thread has got the juices flowing. Had some time today so I popped out to the garage with making targets on the brain. I have some sheets of stainless laying around looking for a project so...... Here's what I came up with. Image

Have always wanted one of these.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:22 pm 

Very nice! all of those that I have seen are for .22lr.
Have you tried it to see if it will move with a .177 or low power .22?

Brocock Concept .22
3 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:31 pm 

Untested so far. Decided to do it up right with some paint and stick on target spots. Just waiting for the clear to dry then I'll post up a pic. I've only gave it a few pushes across the floor and I am worried it wont flop over. If not it will still make a nice target holder and I'll have to go back to the drawing board. Have a bunch more material to play with.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:36 pm 

wow tinner very nice. i wish i had all the tools and equipment to make stuff like that. i wondered to about airguns knocking yours around;it looks a bit heavy. some of the targets i made with the junction box covers were a little to big so the bbs would barely move it and bounce right back at you. looks great; keep the creative juices flowing; and have fun.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:11 pm 

Well, made a nice target holder lol. The base is way to big I figure and makes it very stable. H&N FTT 14.66 at 480 fps won't knock it over. I'll make another with this in mind. Maybe smaller in scale over all. The circles are 3.6" in dia. and about 7.5" centre to centre now. I made this with the idea that it would be a prototype and I am still pleased with the outcome. I pulled the measurements from thin air and applied them to some pictures off the web.

pete wrote:
wow tinner very nice. i wish i had all the tools and equipment to make stuff like that.

I used a 4.5" grinder and a zipcut blade 0.045 thick to cut it all out and then my cheapy belt sander from CT to de-burr and sand the dimensions to the lines I scribed on the metal. A little file work where the sander wouldn't reach. I have some ideas bouncing around in the void between my ears so stay tuned. A functioning <500fps walking target is the first goal then I think a dueling tree.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:10 pm 

That looks great.Hope you can get a working one figured out.
Hurry up on that dueling tree I want to see what it's going to look like. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:29 pm 

Version 2.0 next to big brother. This one works but need to change the geometery a little so it flops straighter when hit but over all not bad for the second try. This one fits the 2" target spots and went right over with the same pellet and gun as last test. Now some paint and spots to finish it off. Oh and a celebratory beverage :drinkers:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:21 pm 

Definitely like it! I would just like you to test it is all with a sub 500 .22 rifle. Then I would purchase two, Please! :D
You can leave them bare steel, I have a powdercoater I want to try!

My brother has one for centerfire pistols, a Ruger 1911 in .45ACP. it is great and very fun for tag teaming and chasing it to the dirt berm!

Brocock Concept .22
3 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:21 am 

It's looking like Tinner just went into the target making business. 8)