Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:35 pm 

SSSO closed about two or three years ago.

You know what, I think you're in luck. There's a gentleman in the for sale section selling a Diana 340 and 48. It didn't say but based on the velocities, they look to be 22 cal. It also looks like he's done the work to make them shoot a little smoother and twang-free. They wont be as easy to shoot as a sub 12 fpe springer but with a little bit of practice, you'll get comparable groups. I'm inclined to the 48 as the shot cycle on a gas strut rifle can be quite harsh but ultimately the choice is yours. The 48 is very accurate. Tuned to sub 12 power, it rivals the TX200, HW97 and LGV. But that's target shooting kind of accuracy. This 48 at magnum power (not that you really need it) would be better for hunting. Drawbacks would be it ratchets when it's cocked (the noise may spook quarry but that can be bypassed if you hold down the anti-bear trap release) and no resettable safety (but can be decocked). Also, if it is in fact 22 cal, at magnum power level it shoots flat (sub 12 22 cal is very loopy). Also, he mentioned something about a faux suppressor being on the 48, not sure but I think the front sight may have been removed so you may need a scope too. Best to clarify with him. He's selling it for $395 at a level already better than out of the box. I think it's meant to be.

I hope your situation gets better. Best wishes!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:54 pm 

Popyacap wrote:
Ultimately i want an effective air rifle for rabbits or prairie chickens. This is for survival, for food. Not intending on taking shots further than 50 yards and probably not even that. The rifle must kill in one shot provided aim is true. Rifle must be quality but not over kill for the needs. i hope i can get some good firsthand opinions, please.

Thank you.

I think that for hunt you'll need a PAL rated air gun, and in this case I would rather buy a rimfire gun in .22lr. You can find a compact one and it will be more accurate than springer air rifles. And more reliable on the long run.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:02 pm 

Popyacap wrote:

Ultimately i want an effective air rifle for rabbits or prairie chickens. This is for survival, for food. Not intending on taking shots further than 50 yards and probably not even that. The rifle must kill in one shot provided aim is true. Rifle must be quality but not over kill for the needs. i hope i can get some good firsthand opinions, please.

Thank you.

Cooey 75, with CCI quiet 22.. More accurate than any airgun, just as quite, and more powerful. Plus you can find them for under 100$

Because most places if you cannot discharge a firearm, you wouldn't be able to discharge an airgun. Personally if I was hunting I would go with a 22LR, over an airgun. Because I cannot shoot any of my airguns as accurate as a 22LR..

Plus you can get 60grn 22LR that is subsonic, 20grn, and shot..

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:08 pm 

Then why don't you just buy a breakdown Ruger 10-22, or another compact .22
I'm sure, in your survival scenario, no one will give a rat's a$$ what you're shooting.
Or, :lol: , you could break off from this 5-yr-old thread and have a whole lot of good discussion with members who don't follow dead threads. :P

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:31 pm 

I have been with SSSO since they first opened. Mike asked me what to carry in respect to air rifles. I had said to him TXs. So he did. We became real good friends in the business sense . So far , all the ownerss and tuners of airgun business's leave a very, very long lasting feeling of homage and belonging in such a misunderstood addiction. They make us feel cool to be like kids at 50 or to take the hobby to the pro level. A Police Sargent once yelled at me , " I can't understand why a grown man like you would play with kid guns !!!?" I turned my head to him and said , " I couldn't afford these kid guns when I was a kid."
So lol you know what I mean...
We did a lot of testing of both rimfire using CB Longs 40rs & the 36grs along side airguns for 40 years and it's true. But the airguns of today are game changers. My Impact can out shoot our CZ Varmints .22cal Rimfires on every day to any yardage you want so ....
But To help you out I highly recommend the Diana 460 in .22cal. We can use this rifle to 80 yards humbly and humanely. Reliable as It's an under lever, accurate more than most of us can shoot. The least hold sensitive 20 ft/lb gun out of the box. It's bestowed with that magic feel and balance that's so hard to get in all guns. That's why I keep buying them. Always a different ride.
The Diana 460s so far loves the JSB 16grs because they fly around 800 fps. Maybe around 790fps after a good break in. Also the Hatsan 135 in .25cal spring rifle they have is a very effective hunter air rifle. Easier to cock than say a Theoben Crow Magnum in any caliber.
With these two examples you will have the smartest setup, to hunt what you want and at that far distance too. Soon as we built our dream cottage out in the woods up north we stopped bringing up my favorite springers like the venerable TX200s and Pro sport , R-9 ect. ect. The distance and Wind factor ruined the fun. So now we bring the Diana 460 , Diana 350 , Hatsan 130 .30cal , Daystate Hutsman .22cal and the FX Impact in .25cal. Because they can shoot straight enough in wind and distance.
Good luck ,
Cheers !!
Captain Air