Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:06 am 

Does anybody know what happened to Specialty Shooting Sports Outdoors?
Great folks to deal with, I hope they re still in business.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:31 am 

They still are.

Rich

Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:41 am 

I'm glad they are still open... For what ever reason their web sight doesn't open for me. I'll try again in a few days.

thx :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:42 am 

Their new website has problems on Android depending on which version you are on and which browser you use.
It's not great on the PC either, at least for me I find the back button doesn't get me out from looking at something (click on the category menu tree instead) and I don't like the way it doesn't show all the listings in a category, you have to keep clicking More.
The Android issue is a big problem that will lose them business if they don't sort it out.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:27 am 

I use Firefox for their site along with Airgun Source.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:43 am 

I've done a fair bit of testing of the SSSO site on Android using the latest OS and Dolphin Browser, which failed to load the site earlier this year after their site upgrade. Sent in a bunch of screenshots and descriptions of test results with various versions. SSSO even turned off site security for five minutes for me to check whether SSL was the issue. The problem turned out to be caused by a security glitch in the Jetpack component which was built into the browser. Disabling Jetpack allowed the site to work. But Jetpack offers a host of useful features while browsing... so Dolphin offered an add-on version of Jetpack which fixed the problem. That's available separately on the Google playstore. Works great.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:45 pm 

:D
They are still going strong and really like dealing with them
Great people whom help out our little club
Brian

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:04 am 

rocker45 wrote:
:D
They are still going strong and really like dealing with them
Great people whom help out our little club
Brian

X2 have dealt with them for years and will continue.

Whitewolf

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:00 pm 

X3, Rhonda is always great to talk too!

They are the first place I look.

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Benjamin Discovery .22 w/Joe Hickey stock!
Crosman 150 pistol .22
4 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22
Mrodair CP-1M .22 and .177

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:20 pm 

I have an Android phone- that I use to MAKE calls. The only calls I receive on it, are from the alarm company I deal with - or my wife or a few select friends. I use a desk top computer for the net. No problems. I also use Firefox as it does not get slower and slower with every update, unlike Explorer did for me.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:42 am 

Just got my most recent order from them today. Great people.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:55 pm 

There was a small glitch with my most recent order from SSSO - 5 tins at 250 count were put into the box instead of 5 at 500 pellets each. I sent a note to Rhonda, she apologised profusely (not necessary, could happen to anyone), and she promptly put another box with the remaining 1,250 pellets in it into the mail, received two days later. As always, excellent service from this fine shop.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:09 pm 

It's 2020 now and i can't connect to these guy's website. Anybody know what's up with this? http://www.specialtyshootingsportsoutdoors.com/

In Canada, ideally, i wish to buy a Diana 34 for the cheapest price as cash flow is low and isn't going to change. However, i am looking for a quality rifle that will be reliable and works needed for the least amount of cost possible. Generally i prefer quality the first time which leads me to the RWS 34.

Ultimately i want an effective air rifle for rabbits or prairie chickens. This is for survival, for food. Not intending on taking shots further than 50 yards and probably not even that. The rifle must kill in one shot provided aim is true. Rifle must be quality but not over kill for the needs. i hope i can get some good firsthand opinions, please.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:43 pm 

I think they quit selling airguns & airgun supplies a couple of years ago. But thought there were still continuing other parts of their business.

I got some really good buys on some of their clearance airgun accessories.

I will let others comment on the right airgun for your purposes, as I'm not the best to comment on a hunting air rifle. Others are more qualified.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:57 pm 

Thank you.

i am not particular to any certain rifle. However, it must be spring or piston, no CO2. This will be the first air rifle i have owned. Likely, because of current world events, it will likely be the only one i buy, so it has to be a good one. i was also planning on buying bulk amounts of ammo right away too. It just has to be quality but not the best as i can't afford that anyway. In Canadian currency, i'd like to stay under $400 for the rifle before taxes. Also not set on caliber but i have done much reading and am leaning to .22 or bigger.