Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:52 pm 

Hi guys

Where in Canada or in Vancouver can you fill a tank to it's limit.Where ever I fill my tanks, they don't even go above 3000psi. Sometimes they will go to 3200psi, but they say it is illegal to fill higher in Canada!

Is this true or is it bull?

I've been looking at getting a shoe box compressor just for the reason, that I can fill it. I know the shoe box is a little slow, but you will never run into the issue of overheating your tank.

I'm even thinking of buying a full scuba tank compressor, there are compressors out there that will fill tanks up to 450 bar.

Let me know what you guys think

Biagio

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:34 pm 

Scuba tanks -- that is those used for diving -- typically fill to 3000 psi on the average 80 cu ft aluminum tank, or to 3442 psi on steel tanks. That's what most scuba stores will be able (and willing) to fill. Many CF tanks fill to 4500 psi, including smaller tanks around 80 to 100 cubic inches and larger 80 or 90 cubic foot tanks. The challenge is to find a place that can and will fill these tanks to 4500 psi.

Apparently some paint ball stores will fill CF tanks to their max pressure, but they may balk at filling larger tanks.

The bottom line is to find a source that can fill your tank before buying it. (And no, there is no law that says CF tanks can't be filled to their max pressure.)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:51 pm 

It's like that in the Philippines too, there are no scuba shops who go beyond 3,300 psi/227 bar..Their rigs are usually up to this pressure only. A shame if your gun requires you to fill it to 250 bar.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:06 pm 

Bottles composed of aluminum and CF can only be filled to their maxium service pressure. Steel tanks can be filled to a maxium of 10% higher then service pressure. Those are the regulations stated by Transport Canada and Department of Transportation (US) and to be followed by businesses that refill.

Whitewolf

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:05 pm 

Locally, the scuba teacher fills my steel scuba tank to 3,300psi, while the paint ball shop attemped to fill my little 90cu/in CF 4,500 psi tank to 4,500 but rarely got it over 3,500psi - the reading after it cooled down.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:22 pm 

That is too bad. I have a steel tank that will go up to 3500 psi and a cf tank 90 ci that will go to 4500 psi. I have a BSA R10 Mark II that fills at 230 bar. I have never filled it to this pressure. I wish someone will realize that we need higher pressures to be able to fill our guns. I love going to Europe to a competition, they have scuba tanks that are all at 300 bar, and we are stuck at 3000 psi. The scuba store does not even fill my steel tank all the way to 3500 psi, they fill my tank almost every time to 3000psi. The best of all is that I pay for it, and I can't even know if they filled it up properly.

Thanks guys

Biagio

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:56 pm 

Check your local fire dept. they may help you. We have a portable air unit and can fill bottles up to 4500 psi.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:28 pm 

Remember I live in Canada. I'm not so sure you can walk up to them and ask if they will be able to fill my tank.

Thanks for the advice

Biagio

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:08 pm 

Apparently some do just that, and some of those people suggest a box of donuts can be the ultimate deal-clencher.

Absolutely worth a try in smaller towns. In the larger cities, your results may vary.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:25 pm 

Biagio26 wrote:
Remember I live in Canada. I'm not so sure you can walk up to them and ask if they will be able to fill my tank.

Thanks for the advice

Biagio

I live in Canada, Ontario specifically, I am also a volunteer firefighter. If someone asked me, I would help them out.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:30 pm 

Good to know, tks. Coyote. The main station is close to me- I need to pay them a visit.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:01 pm 

Thanks for all the advice guys.

I think for now, I just might buy my self a proper compressor, one from Italy.

Biagio

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:05 pm 

You're very fortunate to have that option at your disposal.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:54 pm 

That is true

But I have a lot of family in Italy. I can promise you that one of cousins or some part of my family will be able to get me one, and ship it over here for a fraction of the price.

Thanks for all the help guys

Biagio