Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:46 pm 

Fellows - Saturday, I think it was, I took delivery of my new .50/95 Winchester 1876, made by Uberti. It is quite similar to my brothers rifle, pictured in the other thread, the picture of me shooting it. His rifle is a .45/60 while mine is the big .50 of the Winchester lever-gun line, a .50/95. This means it is .50 cal. and the factory Winchester load of the day, was 95gr. of rifle powder(black powder). The bullet weight varried from 300gr. to 350gr. weight, which is very light for a calibre that size.
Since the picture I previously posted was taken last fall, Taylor re-stocked his M76 in a nicely figured walnut.
Here she is,mine being the top rifle, Taylor's the bottom one.
My rifle weighs 10 pounds even, and is exactly 11 pounds when loaded with 12 rounds (11 + 1) having 300gr. bullets. When loaded with 450gr. bullets, it will weigh 11.39 pounds.
Taylor's .45/60, was factory loaded in the 1800's, with a 200 to 230gr. bullet and 60gr. of rifle powder (black powder). .45/60 was the chambering of Tom Horn's model 1876 rifle, made famous in the movie featuring Steve McQueen as Tom Horn. The .45/60 is basically a .45/70 ctg. shortened from 2.1" to 1.9" in length. The .50/95 case was a .50 Black Powder Express British case, shortened to 1.94", the maximum length case the model 1876 could use.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:54 pm 

Is that damascus steel on the receivers? Love that look. Do you prefer the basic notch style iron sights over the aperture type?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:49 pm 

No it's colour case hardening

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:47 pm 

Very Nice Daryl!

How is the overall quality? I know your pretty fussy, so I would assume very good. Colour case hardening looks exceptional

Happy Remembrance Day!

Brocock Concept .22
3 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:51 pm 

oooohhhhh aaaahhhhhh...... very nice. Look out squirrels! and elephants........

http://plinkercases.ca/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:13 pm 

Does the receiver blue that way naturally from the heat of being shot or is it done previously?

Crosman 2240
Daisy 953
Ruger Green Mountain Laminate 10/22+Hawke Airmax 3-9x40 AO
1950 Russian SKS
Remington 783 30-06 Hawke Vantage 6-24x44 SF

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:50 pm 

mike87gt wrote:
Does the receiver blue that way naturally from the heat of being shot or is it done previously?

It isn't blueing at all. It is called "Colour Case Hardening". It uses charcoal, bones, cyanide and some other chemicals and gets baked in a heat treat oven.

http://www.colorcasehardening.ca/eng/color.html

Brocock Concept .22

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:41 pm 

Here are my irons with brass, case hardened and deep blued all together:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:35 pm 

Rick - the quality is higher than the original guns, is all I can say. They did a wonderful job on these. The factory sights will do until I receive the nice ladder sight I ordered (back ordered) from Brownells for it, as well as a new mould on it's way from Buffalo Arms.

The colour case is very nicely done as you can see. While the rifle has only a 13 1/2" pull, it is easily shouldered in either a coat or t-shirt. The most BP I can get in a case and seat a 420fgr. bullet is 80gr., using a 34 drop tube as well as 1/10" compression. That powder charge might get increased to 85gr. with the 350gr. bullet - we'll see. I haven't shot it yet - that's coming up tomorrow, depending on the weather. I have 70 rounds loaded for testing, with 4 different loads using 2 different bullets.

The aperture sights Taylor put on his rifle, are about $1,300.00 or maybe $1,400.00 for both rear and front, landed in Canada. I am not going that route. The $169.00 sight I have coming from Brownell's will do just fine as it has ball-detent stops for the ladder's leaf, rather than a smooth slide as on my Sharps (when it isn't wearing the Soule Tang sight & globed aperture front. The sight coming should be just fine for hunting as well as using this rifle for the mid range event at Rendezvous B.C., which only runs to about 650yards. My 12 1/2 pound Sharps is for long range shooting.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:05 pm 

Nice Daryl! :D

Yeah my Sharps is a replica also.
.45-120 for 1000yd matches I used to shoot in 20+ years ago. I had look at in Dad's walk-in(USA) safe at Easter.
Shiloh Sharps with 34" 25lb Bull barrel, LR Soule rear and globe front. Double set triggers and I only got the semi-fancy wood. It was $2500 20+ years ago. I just priced a new one and it is $3900! :shock:

It would destroy whatever it hit and accurately!! :D

Brocock Concept .22

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:36 pm 

Can we see these Sharps beauties?
Any pictures fellas?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:45 pm 

This is my Sharps with the 22" original Sharps carbine barrel attached. The action, I purchased from an outfit in Missouri who imported actons in the rough- as in unfinished. I finished the action, draw filing and polishing, then had it "Metal-Oy'd" a hard finish that actually penetrates the surface by a few thousandths. The barrel is chambered for the original .50/70 ctg. The barrel has an 1859 date, which precedes the use of centrefire rounds by the USA by 8 years. In 1867, the US government commissioned Christian Sharps to convert the .54 linen ctg. Sharps breechloaders to centre fire. They barrels were lined, chambered for the new .50/70 government round and the actions converted to central fire. The .50/70 was a very good hunting round as well, generating approximately 1,210fps with a 450gr. bullet from the carbines barrel and just over 1,300fps from the 32" Remington Rolling Block rifle barrel. Taylor, my brother, stocked the rifle for me using a plain piece of English Walnut. The barrel band, an original Sharps Carbine part, was acquired from Gun Parts, West Hurley New York.

A number of years ago, I decided to re-barrel my Sharps with a Green Mountain barrel for use in the long range Quigley Match at Rendezvous. I did this, chambering the barrel with a .458 2" reamer I had, for the 1.9", .45/60 case. Due to the throat cut by the reamer, I can actually load 61gr. of BP along with a 500gr. to 525gr. cast bullet for competition out to 1,000yards. These loads generate 1,150fps.
With smokeless powder, my hunting loads generate 1,850fps with a 405gr. Remington FN, and 1,650fps with a 500gr. cast gas-check bullet. The sights on this barrel, are original to the barrel- ie: 1868, the "New Model" Sharps Carbine this barrel was removed from the action prior to my acquisition.

This is the rifle as it stands now, except I do not have any pictures of it with the Soule tang sight or the Sharps Globe aperture front sight, both requisite for competition shooting. The sights in these pictures, are the original rear carbine sight, along with a silver blade front sight.
This barrel is 35" long. The rifle weighs 12 pounds 8 ounces now, with sights.