Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: I need some target ideas
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:24 pm 

My parents just bought a little cottage on a riverside, the front is facing the road so it's a no-no, same thing for the sides with neighbors close by but the back side is right up against the river and there's a field over the side of the river so no danger of shooting something or someone.
So I need a reactive target I can shoot but it has to be cheap in case it "disapears" and I can't cross the river to reset it or put it up/get it back everytime I'm going there.

I was thinking about 2 stakes with some rods with some spoons from the dollar store attached. But I'm open to any idea, I have all winter to make it. If it's not too complicated I could even go set it up while the river is frozen this winter?

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:01 pm 

One of my first outdoor targets was made from the wire of signs from elections or ones that small businesses use.You know the ones they just stick in the ground.I used dollar store spoons and some plastic tubing for spacers.I added an extra wire across for more spoons.
Here's a pic.Of course I had to add more than just spoons.

Attachments:
539183_614568008582103_931641683_n.jpg
539183_614568008582103_931641683_n.jpg [ 127.03 KiB | Viewed 3493 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:24 pm 

These bells sell for $8 at Walmart.The original handles already have a hole so you would just have to hang it up.They will take quite a few hits.

Attachments:
20151028_173911 (3).JPG
20151028_173911 (3).JPG [ 560.07 KiB | Viewed 3487 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:46 am 

last year I bought a large container of sidewalk chalk for my grand kid,s but they never developed an interest, so I drilled some holes the same dia in a piece of wood, cut the chalk into disk,s and voila ! The puff of colored dust was very pleasing to see at fifty yds and over. It was one of my favorites.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:22 pm 

I love the election sign type. Plastic spacers are a great idea, I wanted to use treaded rod so I could use nuts as spacers but your idea is much better and cheaper too!

Those cow bells are great too and colorful so my mom will be happy as it will look pretty.

I can't do the chalk thing or anything of that nature, I don't want to cross the river everytime I want to get some shooting done and it might be a few weeks between each shootin session so it has to be semi permanent and not too ugly and it has to stay clean, I don't want to risk the neighbors complaining either.

How about a metal chime? I could make one out of old CO2 powerlet and hang it there. Almost zero cost, it's not going to rust, it will just tarnish over time... any preferences between the spoon and the powerlet?

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:25 pm 

I use metal cans 2" wide by 4 1/2" high hanging on strings. They move easily so I can see a hit and makes a little noise so I can hear a hit, the condor punches holes easily out to 100 yds. If a wind is blowing it adds an extra challenge of timing the shot at a moving target.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:50 pm 

joe hickey wrote:
last year I bought a large container of sidewalk chalk for my grand kid,s but they never developed an interest, so I drilled some holes the same dia in a piece of wood, cut the chalk into disk,s and voila ! The puff of coloured dust was very pleasing to see at fifty yds and over. It was one of my favourites.

Cool Joe!
What thickness is your board and what thickness are your chalks? Is the hole rebated so that the pellet passes through after
smashing the chalk?

Thanks!

Brocock Concept .22
3 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:35 am 

I use the election sign wire frames as mentioned above.

My current favorites are targets made by cutting both ends out of tin cans (soup, vegetables, etc) and suspending them from the frame with paper clips. They make satisfying sounds, lots of movement, and can take many hits before going to the recycle bin. I usually shoot these at 10 meters with BBs or 25 meters with pellets.

Another target I like is made from discarded poker chips that I picked up in a thrift shop. Ran a saw cut down a 4 foot length of 2x4 at 1/4 inch depth. Then placed the board across two cinder blocks
to hold the targets more or less level. Then placed a number of poker chips in the saw cut. I like these with pellets at 10 to 25 meters. Sometimes a good central hit on the poker chip will take
a hole out of the chip and leave it in the board. Other hits result in the chips fragmenting dropping to the ground in front of the point of impact. After some use, I added a metal strip across the
face of the 2x4 so low shots wouldn't eat away the wood.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:10 pm 

I don't know if you're still looking for ideas for target I found one that I have fun with Exploding Targets (Bottle Blasters)..Here is a how to video you also do it with pop bottle https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rDRFFSUrPI

Homebrew pellet maker
All are in .22