Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:20 pm 

First of all, lets all admit that when you know a new gun is being delivered-you look out the window , like a little child, waiting
for it to arrive unless you are away and have to wait till end of day.

I have been following this one after seeing short videos this year and just got it from ontargetairsoft , a new dealer on the forum.
Thanks Mike Weschke for your reasonable pricing!

This chrome finish revolver is a beauty and no more wobbly hammer or loose grips! It has a very comfy Hogue style rubber grip.
Fairly weighty but balanced. It only took a short while to sight it in with the open sights .I had placed much more backstop than needed.

Remember to gently close the cylinder flush after loading the shells. The built in hex wrench works well to tighten the CO2 and it pierces
a nice clean hole. I got 50 accurate shots in my first tryout today and I hope the shot count improves somewhat over time.

My senior eyes no longer handle open sights and have been using $10.00 lasers (Ebay-china) on all my airguns for two years with great
success. I only shoot indoors where lasers do best. I am not interested in their large, optional and pricey tactical rail.

The rail on top seems a smidgen wider than 11mm. but I was able to fit one of my small lasers easily by opening up the adjustable claws
just a smidgen. I put electrical tape on the inner section of the claws so not to damage the finish on the rail sides.No mention anywhere
on the internet for this being an optional approach for optics.
Fit and finish overall is very nice for this colour. I may want more shells ( but not a box of 25) .I don't know for sure if existing DW shells
are an exact fit.
The airsoft version will be available in Canada early 2016 and, as a part time airsoft target shooter, I will be considering it also.
I have the original DW 6 inch silver airsoft revolver ,still going strong after more than 6.000 rounds .120 very accurate shots per CO2
at 18 feet .
I will update this review before year end with any cons that come up.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:24 pm 

:)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:42 am 

Hey, thanks Dave. I've been waiting for someone to step up. I had just a horrible experience with the pellet version of the first series of DWs (tested four different guns), so I wasn't going to touch this gun with a ten-foot pole until I heard some positive reports.

The issue with the first DW pellet rendition was a total lack of a consistent seal between the cylinder and the barrel, causing fps shifts of up to 200 fps (yes, you read that right) which, of course negated any possibility of accuracy.

Will you comment on the consistency of the shots and the accuracy, please.

Edit: Just noticed you bought the BB version, not the pellet version. Just the same, how would you compare its performance to that of the original DW series?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:44 pm 

Hi Edmonton<500- If I remember correctly, I sold you my previous DW 8 inch or a S&W 586.
Build quality of the 715 is superior and cosmetically nicer. but chrome requires gentler handling , plus the 6 inch is easier to handle.
As I said in my review, I will comment again after a few more sessions. I can't remember the accurate shot count of the 8 inch so
I want to determine the expectation for that as well accuracy and any flaws in its operation overall.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:58 am 

looking forward to your update. In the meantime, guilty on both counts. :D

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:53 am 

I had another session yesterday. 55 accurate shots until the gas was depleting. Of course, this depends on the brand/fill capacity
of a powerlet and allowing for cool down between shots. Loudness is probably in the mid-90s decibels.

The 715 is capable of 1/2 inch groups ( at 18 feet in my case) when proper grip and stance is applied (which varies with the pistol being used)
I also note that the hammer sits away from the striking pin (?) . I don't recall if this was the design in the previous model.
I will report on a final review next week. So far- very pleased!

I forgot to mention that the chrome/silver finish is a little brighter than my photos reveal.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:06 am 

Any pellet version owners out there who can pipe in?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:31 pm 

I have now finished 3 sessions @ 50-55 accurate shots per CO2 cartridge with no functional hiccups and, as I have said,
1/2 inch groups can be expected (at 18 feet in my case). Of course, as with any new gun, time has to be spent on your technique.
My best results were with arms out, elbows locked , in a sitting position.
I would guess that it is at least a few ounces heavier than the first generation DW .

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:46 pm 

That sounds like good news, Dave. Thanks for taking the time to file this story. :D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:41 am 

Edmonton<500 wrote:
That sounds like good news, Dave. Thanks for taking the time to file this story. :D

Thanks, Murray.
Also- the manual indicates : 3 joule/430 FPS
I will certainly consider the airsoft version (expected in Canada early 2016). Reviews on that are more plentiful on the net.

2 velocities: 330 FPS for airsoft skirmishing ( grey/steel finish) and 430 FPS for target shooting ( chrome finish).
The Canadian model ,as in Europe, should not have the orange tip.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:25 pm 

Still luvin' this one!. More comments:
1. It is a little front heavy due to massive barrel ( I initially said balanced weight)
2. The ejector rod will often back out -noticeable when closing or opening the cylinder thus fitting a little too snugly in the recessed
area where it rests. Give it a little turn into the cylinder once in a while , otherwise just coax the cylinder a little when opening.