Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:09 pm 

good day all
Do any of you shooters own a UMAREX .177 490fps SURGE with a 4x32 scope? I like the fact that it has a scope (eyes not what they use to be), but is it a good gun?
I read reviews about it but I'd like to hear from someone who owns and shoots this puppy, so if you have any info I'd love to hear
about it.

Wallymart sells this gun locally for $125.00 plus tax of course.
Regards

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:02 pm 

I have one and I love it, it's one of my most accurate rifle. I find it a bit nose heavy, but other than that I like the ergonomics. It's a smooth shooting rifle with a good, adjustable trigger (T05 type). The scope itself is not bad, almost identical to the CenterPoint 4x32 scope and since you're talking about a de-tuned rifle, it should survive well. The rifle also has provisions for a rear sight, there are plugged threaded holes in the breach block. Front and rear sights from a Ruger Blackhawk among others, are a direct fit. It's a clone of the Diana 34, so ''improvement'' parts are readily available. It's got an automatic safety, which is easy to get used to. The 18'' barrel and mild spring make it easy to cock too :) .

I had no problems at all in two years of use, except finding time to shoot it :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:50 am 

:) Thanks for that, I think I just might grab one, you know can never have enough toys around.
Regards

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:38 pm 

It's a nice gun for the price imo. As i am working on becoming a better shooter, am learning it is a pretty accurate gun. I can get quarter and half inch groups at 21m. My only gripe are the scope and mounts. My sample loves having its pellets seated. And so far it shoots pointy, wad cutters well. But loves domed pellets. love the gun, but looking into a underlever Weihrauch.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:22 am 

I bought one the other day, and love this gun. It took all of 2 minutes to get the scope set and off to the races. Shoots very nice, it's
a heavy rifle compared to my Crosman Vantage. Thanks for your input on this and I can say I'm glad to own this rifle, very happy all around.
Regards

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:35 am 

Is there a tune up that I can do with this air rifle?

I happen to have a second Crosman Surge that I assume is identical to the Umarex version. I'm planning to give it to my brother after I polish it, maybe polish the trigger and clean the barrel.
I don't plan to remove the spring to debur the compression chamber

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:25 am 

SureShot wrote:
...I happen to have a second Crosman Surge...

Could you post a pic of that one? Never heard of those before.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:15 am 

airmec wrote:
SureShot wrote:
...I happen to have a second Crosman Surge...

Could you post a pic of that one? Never heard of those before.

Well I'm feeling a bit dumb this morning [emoji851]
I just went to take a pic of my Crosmans Surge only to discover that I was mistaken, it is a Umarex.

When I bought it from a pawn shop that I frequent I was told it was PAL rated but the first time I cocked it I knew it wasn't.
PAL rated air rifles take more effort.
It shoots about 468 fps and has a nice weight, nice trigger.
But it doesn't come with iron sights. I wonder why [emoji848]

I'm going to dismantle it, clean & polish it, maybe polish the trigger before mounting a scope and sighting it in.Image

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:32 am 

Ah OK :) . Working on these rifles is easy, and yields good results. I personally love the T05-type trigger, for which you have a lot of infos on the net 8) .

Have fun!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:38 am 

I have a Ruger Black Max which is the Ruger branded twin of the Surge. I like the feel of the rifle, but it's a bit heavy, and it is not as accurate as my $45 Chinese air rifle. To be honest, that's a bit disappointing. It might have something to do with the fps. The Chinese rifle is supposed to be a non-PAL, under 500fps air rifle, but it feels and hits much harder than any 500 fps rifle I've ever fired. I would like to replace the spring in my Black Max to make it the 1200fps version (I have my PAL). Do any of you know where I can source the main spring?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk