Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: My B-510 is leaking air
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:25 pm 

While shooting my B-510 the gun just decided that it would no longer hold the air when pumped. All the air seems to be leaking out of the barrel because I can hear it escaping when pumped. I did some research online and I found out that someone else had the same issue and the problem was with the exhaust valve not sealing. I've only taken apart 2 air guns before, both being spring pistons so I'm too familiar with the mechanism at hand. If anyone could help me out here with how to fix this that would be great, thanks

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:30 pm 

Sorry messed up on the name its a B5-10 here's a picImage

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:45 pm 

You COULD.....sell it to me. :P

Al

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:20 pm 

That a common problem with the B5-10. I used to have one and it kept happening until I replaced it with a delrin seal custom made by an inactive member here. The seal that fails looks like a flat o-ring. You should always cock the hammer first before pumping to prevent this from happening to the low quality original seals.

I wish I still had the gun to take pics, but from memory, I believe you remove the grip handle/bottom receiver section by unscrewing the screws, then do the same for the aluminum upper receiver part. The cocking knob also unscrews out by by turning to counter clockwise. The valve parts should be in the upper receiver. The gun should have came with a valve nut opening tool (a flat blued piece of metal). It has 2 teeth on the outside edge that will fit the brass valve cover nut. Turn counter clockwise and all the parts of the valve should come out easily. Usually, there is nothing wrong with the air intake seal (closer to the front part of the gun). It's the stem seal that seals the valve from the barrel that's the issue.

While you have the gun open, might as well de-burr the sear component too (only smooth out rough spots, try not to remove enough material to change the geometry). This makes a huge difference in trigger pull and accuracy. Here's a related post from another forum with nice pictures:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/113813/t ... 0+pictures

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:41 am 
Supporting Member 2009

The delrin stem sounds like a good option if you can find someone to make you one. Heck get me a few while you're at it.
There is a way to modify a Crosman 13xx valve stem to work in the B5-10. I did it to one of mine long ago, can't remember the details exactly. I remember shortening the stem and maybe boring out the hole for it in the valve body then chamfering the lip to make a good seal. I also remember the posibility of screwing it up and making the gun useless was there.
I think I have a PDF on the mod, I'll see if I can dig it up.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:03 pm 

like triggerhappy416 said its a flat washer type seal...pretty simple fix
I'd be interested in seeing that PDF as well woody...thanks :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:04 pm 

TriggerHappy416 wrote:
That a common problem with the B5-10. I used to have one and it kept happening until I replaced it with a delrin seal custom made by an inactive member here. The seal that fails looks like a flat o-ring. You should always cock the hammer first before pumping to prevent this from happening to the low quality original seals.

I wish I still had the gun to take pics, but from memory, I believe you remove the grip handle/bottom receiver section by unscrewing the screws, then do the same for the aluminum upper receiver part. The cocking knob also unscrews out by by turning to counter clockwise. The valve parts should be in the upper receiver. The gun should have came with a valve nut opening tool (a flat blued piece of metal). It has 2 teeth on the outside edge that will fit the brass valve cover nut. Turn counter clockwise and all the parts of the valve should come out easily. Usually, there is nothing wrong with the air intake seal (closer to the front part of the gun). It's the stem seal that seals the valve from the barrel that's the issue.

While you have the gun open, might as well de-burr the sear component too (only smooth out rough spots, try not to remove enough material to change the geometry). This makes a huge difference in trigger pull and accuracy. Here's a related post from another forum with nice pictures:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/113813/t ... 0+pictures
any diagrams on this gun? I'm still a bit unsure on what part it is and it would clarify things if I knew what I was looking at

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:59 pm 

not much out there on the net...found this it has a couple pics, the pic is an already modified delrin stem seal, if I had time I would dissemble mine and post some new pics, maybe someday.... :wink:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/113813/t ... +Questions

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:24 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

Ace wrote:
like triggerhappy416 said its a flat washer type seal...pretty simple fix
I'd be interested in seeing that PDF as well woody...thanks :wink:

Ask and Ye shall receive.
I found this online years ago, it is not mine. I have done it to one gun successfully.
One thing with the B5 is don't over pump it unless you upgrade the seals. I think it was 8 pumps max. These things can build some serious pressure.
Another cool mod I did was have a flat top piston made to use an oring as the piston seal. I figured since seals aren't available this will keep the gun shooting long after the seals go. Piston is very similar to the front half of a 13xx, I can't remember the thread size though.
If someone wants to make up some delrin seals for the B5 I would buy a few.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:11 pm 

much appreciated... thanks 8)