Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: wax...
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:00 am 

....Has anyone ever tried using wax (paraffin) as a backstop ? Unlike 'duct seal' , all you'd have to do is re-melt it to remove pellets and bbs .... Can something be added to wax to make it a little softer, like early CO2 poured wax seals ? It would certainly be less expensive and easier to re-use than duct seal ....

Post subject: Re: wax...
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:36 pm 
Supporting Member

That sounds like a good idea, especially since you can melt it to get all the lead and steel out. Bee's was might work better than paraffin as it is fairly soft. I think I will do some experimenting. :D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:23 am 

I used to shoot wax bullets in the house, using just primers. Unless its a fairly thick block, it may shatter on you.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:18 am 
I wouldn't think it would last long. Would need a wax that's more pliable.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:54 am 

You might be able to make it into sort of a putty by cooking oil into it (carefully, in a double boiler and/or outdoors), something like paraffin oil. Never tried, just guessing, but it seems normal waxes would be much too brittle and just make a huge mess after a few shots. Even made softer I doubt wax would even come close to the energy absorption of duct seal. Try other putties for comparison. Modelling clays, potting clays, they just show a big 'wound channel's up to a foot long or more. A few inches of duct seal will stop a subsonic .22lr round. Very different properties in terms of how the stuff relays energy from the point of impact. I've seen demos somewhere of a wax/glycerine blend (if memory serves - or perhaps it was clear casting soap from a hobby supplier) used to see relative penetration for a variety of pellet types. Even with a modestly powerful airgun, a foot or more penetration was common.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:28 pm 

Can't find the article I was referring to, but this video showing penetration into glycerin soap is fairly informative:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQQf8HcV0rs
Looks from this that it's neat for penetration testing (you could modify the test to better emulate animal tissues with the addition of hard layers - coconut shell, pellet tins, use your imagination) but probably useless for a pellet trap backstop, as it would soon open up a huge void which would then allow pellets to pass right through.

Post subject: Lid
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:42 pm 

The lid off an oil drum works great.

Post subject: Re: Lid
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:34 am 
Stevegoodd wrote:
The lid off an oil drum works great.

Purpose of the duct seal or the wax is to silence the impact. Many don't like the TING sound when shooting indoors. Or want to run the risk of a ricochet.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:32 pm 

Tea light candles make excellent targets for a .177 at less than 400 fps. Freezing them will increase their ability to catch the pellets, but after 4 or 5 shots they have a tendency to explode. Great fun for out doors, and it allows for recovery of the lead should it be a worry. As for indoor use, a block of modeling clay an inch or two thick will catch any STOCK non-pal airgun pellet. From my experience with many different types of hollow point pellets, a non pal airgun will not provide enough energy for the pellets to expand in any medium, so the clay shouldn't need to be re moulded for quite some time.