Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Crosman Quest
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:03 pm 

Anyone have any experience with this rifle? Any info on build quality, accuracy, and overall performance is greatly appreciated.

P.S. I'm talking about the quest 500 not the 1000.

Thanks,
Dustin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:56 pm 
Admin-2-IC

Hi Dustman,

I can't really tell you about the performance of Quest because I don't own one but the other day I just got the video of the factory where they make the Quest air rifle in China. It's amazing like labour work, they don't even own any power tools, it's all manual labour. We're all worry about damaging the seal when dry firing the springer, there at the factory as soon as they assemble it together, cock the quest and fire it up in the air and it works and it's all good .... next !..... I guess this is how to move things out fast and cheap so everybody can enjoy it. If I were you just buy it from CT and rate it your self, if you don't like you can always get a refund, I think you're going to like it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:04 pm 
Site Admin

do you have a link to that video?? Id love to see it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:12 pm 
Admin-2-IC

webstien wrote:
do you have a link to that video?? Id love to see it.

I guess I can email it to you. It's 4.5meg. MQV file (MOV-quick time).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:22 pm 

Dustman,
Of all the inexpensive springer, under $150, I rank it second to the Slavia 630/631.
It is a great gun for the money. The metal and wood are very well finished. Accuracy is very good. Sight and trigger is decent and will get the job done, better than most cheap guns. It is relatively light and compact. A smooth shooter.
You definitely will not regret getting one.

Sniper,
Can you please email me the MOV too? Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:37 pm 
Admin-2-IC

ETA wrote:
Sniper,
Can you please email me the MOV too? Thanks.

Sent to Rick & ETA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:16 pm 
Site Admin

could you send it to my gmail account. I think my other account has a low file size limit.

rfragap(at)gmail.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:54 pm 

sniper wrote:
Hi Dustman,

I can't really tell you about the performance of Quest because I don't own one but the other day I just got the video of the factory where they make the Quest air rifle in China. It's amazing like labour work, they don't even own any power tools, it's all manual labour. We're all worry about damaging the seal when dry firing the springer, there at the factory as soon as they assemble it together, cock the quest and fire it up in the air and it works and it's all good .... next !..... I guess this is how to move things out fast and cheap so everybody can enjoy it. If I were you just buy it from CT and rate it your self, if you don't like you can always get a refund, I think you're going to like it.

I watched the video. The video is of the assembly stage of the Quest.
It is not so bad. Not Boeing of course, but not too far from most low tech assembly line, even the ones in North America.
Most of the assembly uses only simple tools. They could do with a few power drivers. Overall the factory is well lit and not too cluttered.
They dry fire them to test assembly, I don't think they have much choice there.
At the end of the video, it shows them QC the Quest by firing pellets through a Chrony and noted the results on a tag with each rifle.

I'll bet the metal and stock fabrication is a lot more high tech and interesting. Those parts were delivered finished in the video.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:33 pm 
Site Admin

I watched the video and I would still buy one, they were a bit rough with the actions though :shock: but the tables are covered in rubber and they used a rubber hammer so its fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:51 pm 
Admin-2-IC

It's amazing how they still use those stroker screw driver, the last time I remember seing one of those was when my grandpa used to own one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:55 pm 
Site sponsor and moderator

I got one and everything said above is right. It is a keeper.
The only thing with mine the rear site has to be adjusted totally to the right to shot straight and i had to shim the scope that came with it to center it.
But i prefer to shoot without The scope on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:14 pm 

Alright, well thanks alot to those of you who kept on topic... :wink:
but seriously, thanks guys, i think i'll get one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:28 pm 

Guys, the video is took by me last summer when i pay a vist to the factory. As you guys saw, the assmbling work is very simple and seperated but the quality control is there. 1 of 10 of those product will be tested by varies experiement. Drop experiment, cooking, fps ect. I don't have the video of the dropping test anymore (it was in my last notebook). But i can tell you guys how they do the dropping test. They cook the gun, put the safty on and then left it up to 2 meters and drop it on the floor with covers on the ground. If the gun fired, or broken or what ever happens, the whole batch will be reinspected.

The one showing in the clip is the assmbling house for Quest, for other guns like B40, B50 , there is another line to operate.

the tools are little bit old, but you are not gona compare the factory in China with factory/tools here in Canada. one is developed country and the other is developing. This also one of reasons that the products from China is cheaper, the costs is low.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:43 pm 
Admin-2-IC

Sunny wrote:
Guys, the video is took by me last summer when i pay a vist to the factory. As you guys saw, the assmbling work is very simple and seperated but the quality control is there. 1 of 10 of those product will be tested by varies experiement. Drop experiment, cooking, fps ect. I don't have the video of the dropping test anymore (it was in my last notebook). But i can tell you guys how they do the dropping test. They cook the gun, put the safty on and then left it up to 2 meters and drop it on the floor with covers on the ground. If the gun fired, or broken or what ever happens, the whole batch will be reinspected.

The one showing in the clip is the assmbling house for Quest, for other guns like B40, B50 , there is another line to operate.

the tools are little bit old, but you are not gona compare the factory in China with factory/tools here in Canada. one is developed country and the other is developing. This also one of reasons that the products from China is cheaper, the costs is low.

Thanks Sunny for Sharing it.
People work very hard there for us to enjoy it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:08 am 

Sunny wrote:

A brand new, high tech mallet is not going to assemble the Quest any better or faster. The Quest is relatively simple product. There is no need to get sophisticated. I do like the screw driver the worker is using, less chance of equipment failure and the need for service. :wink:
I work in the product manufacturing industry. There really is not a big difference over there compare to here on such products. As long as the worker are diligent and work fast, which they do. That is all that matters.
The benefit of that is that we can afford higher quality products at a lower price, which boosts our standard of living.