Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:34 pm 

Greets,

The Crosman 2289G is very "moddible" - So here is a List of popular mods [and parts upgrades] one could do to make your 2289 more durable, pretty, accurate, & get it closer to a true 500fps.
I've also added a few maintenance chores - give me your additional ideas please.

Pic of 2289G www.dlairgun.com/Crosman%202289.jpg

[please report broken links]

Also scroll down for links to the 2289 owner's manual, parts list, and various Crosman 22xx parts list numbers.

NOTE: Canadian Law requires you to obtain a PAL license for an airgun which shoots over 500 feet per second. The Administrators DO NOT Endorse airgun shooters to modify an airgun to shoot beyond 500fps without a valid PAL. The author of this post, nor the Administrators of this forum will not be held liable for damage caused to any airgun, or injury to any person. The airgun user understands the above and proceeds at their own risk.

Popular Mods:

1. New Grips & pump arm - comfort, quality, looks
2. Drill holes in shoulder stock's grips & insert grip screws - accuracy & stability
3. Trigger Shoe - comfort, looks
4. Muzzle Break - looks
5. Longer Barrel (less than 24" is ideal, and perhaps 18" is best) - increases MV & accuracy*
6. Extended probe - increases MV
7. Heavier hammer spring - slight muzzle velocity (MV) increase
8. Metal breech (kit)* - better accuracy & better mounting of scopes
9. Metal Barrel Band instead of stock plastic - quality
10. Reduce valve volume - increases MV
11. Replace stock valve spring with weaker one - slight MV increase*
12. Fill bleeder hole in valve / replace with U.S. valve - increase MV
13. Metal Piston instead of stock plastic - increases MV & quality*
14. Barrel Crown - Accuracy

Here is the 2289G Owner's Manual:
http://crosman.com/2004/pdf/manuals/cro ... 289-OM.pdf

Parts diagram:
http://crosman.com/2004/pdf/manuals/cro ... 89-EVP.pdf

Link to various Crosman part numbers:
www.network54.com/Realm/CFTech/partnumbers.htm

Maintenance (see owner's manual above)
Every 250 shots, use Crosman pellgunoil or a non-detergent oil on:
The pump pivot pins, the trigger, the pump cup in the pump mechanism (see figure 8 in owner's manual above), and the o-ring of the bolt.
A little oil on the outside of the barrel will help prevent rust.
If the accuracy of your 2289 falls off, run a firm but free-fitting patch through the barrel. Be sure to use the proper size cleaning rod or ramrod.

Mod notes:
5. Various people suggest a 18" barrel is the best length, and it also may be that a length up to 24" might be better than the 14". Awaiting verification.
8. Be sure to cut about 3 threads off of your rear breach screw so it does not damage/interfere with the hammer spring.
11. Weaker (lighter) valve spring allows more pumps to be dumped - therefore higher MV.
13. In conjunction with #11, mainly allows for more pumping without wearing out pump-cup/piston/pivots.

Using the "Search" function on this forum will uncover a wealth of information or ask the friendly members too.

Last edited by Plink-Panther on Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:55 pm, edited 27 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:57 pm 

check out some of my 2289 mods on my web site on my ideas page not power mods but for looks the grip frame can go....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:40 am 
Site sponsor and moderator

Exploded View with parts # of the 2289 on this link:
http://www.crosman.com/2004/pdf/manuals ... 89-EVP.pdf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:08 am 

Hey Under500fps,
Where's the price list, it's not there ???

Mike... :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:44 am 
Site sponsor and moderator

Krazy Mikey wrote:
Hey Under500fps,
Where's the price list, it's not there ???

Mike... :wink:

I think that is TOP SECRET information.
But Crosman Canada will give you the price list if they are contacted.
http://www.crosmancanada.com/
To contact, please use the information below.
Phone: 1 705 749-0206
Fax 1 705 749-9172
E-mail info@crosmancanada.com

Post subject: Re: Crosman Prices...???
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:53 pm 

Hi Under500fps,

I've contacted Sylvie so many times going back atleast 3 years ago maybe even more. I almost got her to send the price list for everything recent upto maybe 10 yearsold. But at the last minute, she changed her mind, and told me to send her the parts Number No.### and she would put prices besides everything. And she does exactly that for me. Kool Eh, Hehehe 8)

Krazy Mikey... 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:32 pm 

For a mod, I really like the separate cocking knob. This is most useful for pesting. You can pump and load your gun and walk around stalking completely safely, without having to rely on the crappy safety (which you should never do anyway). It fits on the "universal" 2289 action tube with no other mods required. No downside in performance with the stock valve spring compared to stock hammer. The cocking knob unit mech itself IS much more complex though.

Post subject: Metal barrel band?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:32 am 

The first post mentioned a metal barrel band for a 2289g?

I have been looking for one of these everywhere! Does anyone here have a source?

Some other mods are:
- reshape valve stem
- reshape (angle) exhaust port and fill in back space below Can. bleed hole. result is similar to the Crooked Barn Boss Valve.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:37 pm 

Ardneh wrote:
The first post mentioned a metal barrel band for a 2289g?

I have been looking for one of these everywhere! Does anyone here have a source?

I've been using one from Dave W. from the Crosman Forum. Check this post for info.

I don't think he has any left though. Dave did make a batch for the 1377, best to send him an email to find out if he's making any more.

HTH

My Airgun Collection

Post subject: K&S
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:09 pm 

I both 2 from K&S last week. They where 2nd hand and from another type of gun (I do not know which maybe K&S can tell you) They needed a bit of filling to fit perfect but this was easy to over come. Cost me just under $6CDN each, I think they had 1 more left. I will have pics next week once I finish the pump arm of the....well....2289G/2240/1377C/106 and what ever parts came from other guns which makes up this one :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:25 pm 

This thread has been a really good checklist of mods to do on a 2289. Mine is almost done. Thanks for starting this, Plink.

I haven't been able to find info on modding the barrel crown for accuracy yet.

I think a parts list (with numbers) would be cool. The 24" barrel from a 2260 (part #2260-003) fits the 2289, and I've been told that the metal piston from a 2200 also fits (I'm still looking for this part number so I can order it).

I've only found one place that sells muzzle brakes that'll fit a 2289/2260 barrel, too. I think they're custom-made; I'm pretty sure Crosman doesn't offer these.

Plink-Panther wrote:
...but as one person said it: "18" is better than 14", but 24" is better than 14"

Hey hey, I got quoted. :D

I hope this was an accurate statement, and I'm currently looking for it's approval on that thread. (I actually meant to say 18" is better than 24", but 24" is better than 14". Same difference.)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:15 pm 

Air Force wrote:
I hope this was an accurate statement, and I'm currently looking for it's approval on that thread. (I actually meant to say 18" is better than 24", but 24" is better than 14". Same difference.)

That's my expierience, minus the 18" part, I didn't do that as I dont have proper equipment...

Hey, don't hate. It releases negative energy, which is bad for everyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:56 pm 

wondering if there is anything new to add...?

Learn to Love To Do Well - And You Shall. - C. Poseidon