Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:10 am 

I had the Grizzly Predator apart, on the bench for quite a while and decided to take a new purchase apart just to see how it works...

Anyway, maybe I have gotten some parts mixed up... I couldn't figure out how to get the Grizzly back together so I left it apart, on the bench, and I think I may have mixed up the springs...

Well, I can't quote any numbers as I don't have a chrony ;) but it appears that the pellets are going into a 1"x4" piece of pine at least twice as deep as before or more, (and maybe but I can't remember but I may have added a couple of washers), like through ;) Both of the AG's are non PAL rated so I don't believe the interchangeable parts should change that situation ;).

BTW, the Grizzly Predator is a piece of junk compared to the Phantom...

Predator can't group worth a S*** regardless of pellet and is maybe 240fps at best so even if you are able to double the FPS you are still legal.

Phantom I can sit in artillery hold and double tap pellets that didn't go through the first time.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:28 am 
Stevegoodd wrote:
I had the Grizzly Predator apart, on the bench for quite a while and decided to take a new purchase apart just to see how it works...

Anyway, maybe I have gotten some parts mixed up... I couldn't figure out how to get the Grizzly back together so I left it apart, on the bench, and I think I may have mixed up the springs...

Well, I can't quote any numbers as I don't have a chrony ;) but it appears that the pellets are going into a 1"x4" piece of pine at least twice as deep as before or more, (and maybe but I can't remember but I may have added a couple of washers), like through ;) Both of the AG's are non PAL rated so I don't believe the interchangeable parts should change that situation ;).

BTW, the Grizzly Predator is a piece of junk compared to the Phantom...

Predator can't group worth a S*** regardless of pellet and is maybe 240fps at best so even if you are able to double the FPS you are still legal.

Phantom I can sit in artillery hold and double tap pellets that didn't go through the first time.

Might need a break in. Reading the Crosman phantom manual that came with mine says it takes about 250 pellets to break in and may not see the best accuracy.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:31 am 

So your suggesting the difference between an Optimus model 500 and the 1000 is only a few washers? Good to know.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:45 am 
tango wrote:
So your suggesting the difference between an Optimus model 500 and the 1000 is only a few washers? Good to know.

Not really. Here is a example.

The detuned phantom/quest is a relief valve in the piston and a shorter weaker spring. Where the Phantom/quest 1000 there is no hole in the pistol and a longer stronger spring. Because you can get a repair kit if you want to upgrade your phantom/quest to 1000.

They did that incase people later once they get their PAL can upgrade.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:45 am 

tango wrote:

What I was hinting at is that the Grizzly wasn't worth putting back together and when I took apart a new Phantom I got the springs mixed up and it may have improved the performance, a bit, and washers too...:)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:16 am 

RobertMcC wrote:
tango wrote:

The detuned phantom/quest is a relief valve in the piston and a shorter weaker spring. Where the Phantom/quest 1000 there is no hole in the pistol and a longer stronger spring. Because you can get a repair kit if you want to upgrade your phantom/quest to 1000.

I see an owner of a new-phantom has found his 500 fps actually has no relief hole in the piston. This is a change. I wonder at what point they did the mod?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:21 am 
tango wrote:
RobertMcC wrote:
tango wrote:

I see an owner of a new-phantom has found his 500 fps actually has no relief hole in the piston. This is a change. I wonder at what point they did the mod?

If the Serial number dating is right its Sept 2015 for mine. It has no relief hole and only shot around MAX 450 FPS. But avg around 410 FPS.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:00 pm 

They have had the weak spring and no relief hole for a couple of years now. I bought my son a Phantom .22 for Christmas 2014 and it was the weak spring no hole in piston model. IMO the new model is much better because if you want to leave it stock it cocks much easier. If you want full power you simply swap the spring out, a five minute job.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:17 pm 

I have a predator and believe me it's far more powerful than any of the 5 sub 495 rifles owned. I put a 4x32 scope on and can hit the but hole of a squirrel from 30'.maybe you got a dud. it happens. btw my predator likes hws hobby sport pellets at 11.9 gr. it has a nice safety on the trigger thats more convenient. and not automatic. my beeman was a dud cant find a pellet It likes and i can pick harder. sometimes we get stuck with duds. anyways its definitely faster than b1 a b3 and the American classic fully pumped. maybe I just got lucky but for plinking it's a phenom with the scope and I do for the odd fly away but I haven't broken it in yet. just my 2 cents

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:55 pm 
Site Moderator

Sometimes the accuracy problem could be a bad crown. I have a B3 (WF-600) that had a burr pushed into the muzzle all around the perimeter. They must have cut the crown with a dull tool and pushed hard. I polished up the crown to remove the burr and the rifle shoots great.

My new "Canadian Tire" .177cal Optimus had the 170mm long piston (no bleeder hole) and a weak/short mainspring. The full power version that I bought from the USA has the 150mm piston and a heavier .122" wire, 36 coil mainspring.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:13 pm 

Bad Predator?...you got a dud sad to say....Mine can put 5 inside a button at 28 feet exactly with H&N rounds...490 fps....just did it...okay it had a little tuning but still...I'll take your gun if you don't want it... :D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:55 am 

I liked the predator so much when i seen the hunter in .22 from grizzly came out i bought one and its even better then the predator. Its lighter with camo. No safety but no more barrel slaps to open it has a release button which i think all the break barrels should have. Its as accurate as the predator same fps range. Its an enjoyable and easier rifle then the predator at the same price. I put an $80 scope on both and plink/pest control a lot. It seems the more i fire it the better the groupings. Oh it comes packed with shipping grease so i would clean
the litter outta it first
B2 synthetic and wood
Grizzly predator and hunter
Crosman 177c customized
Umarex xbg crosman vigilante umarex dx-17
Crosman pfm16 beeman 1077

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:46 pm 

Stevegoodd wrote:

Do you still own this Grizzly, if so is it the Grizzly Predator .22 that’s $85 at the discount store?
Anyways the spring length is 7 1/4”

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:09 pm 

There's a lot of digging up old posts recently. Here is a useful tip, click on the Profile of the person you are replying to, then look to see if they are still active on the Forum. In this case Stevegoodd hasn't been on here in like 7 years so he's unlikely to answer.

Attachments:
Forum Profile.jpg
Forum Profile.jpg [ 536.36 KiB | Viewed 1142 times ]

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:20 pm 

I didn’t know know you could that
Thanks Duke