Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:41 pm 

Google reviews are very mixed and seem to imply it is run by a load of children dressed as punk rockers (only relaying what I have read). People seem to love them or hate them when it comes to those who can go there in person.
Some of their prices aren't bad though and free postage over $150 is really good.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:10 pm 

I'm surprised to hear someone referring to Gorilla Surplus prices as being anything but excessive. Weird. Haven't looked at their website in several years, about as long since visiting the Vancouver store. Last time I visited the site it was to see if they had any usable wadcutters in .177" as my order of a couple of sleeves from the prairies was taking a while getting here and I needed a tin or two to train with before a match. They showed RWS Diabolo Basic for about $9 I think. Went to the store (it's about 8 blocks from my house) and asked for the one tin sitting in the display. They were marked $14.95. I showed the greasy-haired camo-wearing dufus behind the counter the website page on my phone. He squinted at that, then offered a classic 'harumph' sort of a reaction, then said "Well you know what that is, right? We pay some guy in Pakistan $25 every six months or something to update the website. Can't expect him to get it right all the time." Uh huh. So I said no, actually $9 is about right. It's $7 a tin at Army & Navy, when they have them in stock. $6.99 actually. He got flustered, made various noises and gestures, then said "How about I meet you halfway? $12?" Apparently not a mathematician this fellow. But I wanted some pellets. So I bought the tin for $12.

I noted on a previous visit that they had a lot of CO2 BB and pellet pistols. A lot of really poor quality fake military clothing. The odd bit of actual surplus military gear, but not a lot and generally in terrible shape. They had collapsible batons, lots of styles - surprising to me as I'd thought those were illegal in Canada, but apparently not. Overall not impressed. No reason to go there since, especially with so many great online airgun suppliers across Canada.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:13 am 

GerardSamija wrote:
I'm surprised to hear someone referring to Gorilla Surplus prices as being anything but excessive.

I haven't looked in detail, it was related to some airsoft stuff (shhh...don't tell anyone...) but the free postage over $150 was particularly attractive. Apart from that, your comments are much like other feedback I have seen.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:16 am 

I bought my current pair of boots there. Nothing spectacular, certainly not a high quality product, but I wear my boots hard and thus footwear is a pretty disposable thing to me. Cheaper than the pair I bought at Trev Deeley, which cost twice as much and still fell apart.

I probably wouldn't buy anything airgun-related there. Excessive prices as others have mentioned, even their knives cost more than the competition. Off-topic, for knives in GVRD, Warriors and Wonders is great. Some of their stuffs are even cheaper than Amazon, it blows my mind how they can do that...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:25 am 

Yeah, I'll agree enthusiastically on the W&W recommendation. Haven't bought anything fancy from them (I tend to make a knife and wear it out then make another knife), I did get a few folders for my family. Couple of Bokers and something else I can't recall, all on sale at prices lower than I could find on eBay. Amazing online catalogue. Bit of a 'gun store' feel to it when actually going into the place... like if you don't know exactly what you're looking for you're an idiot or something, but not too bad. And hey, maybe I just caught the wrong salesman. No matter, got what I wanted, modified the knives heavily (yeah, it's pretty rare for me to leave a commercial product un-modified) and my wife and kids are very pleased with the results.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:47 pm 

GerardSamija wrote:
I'm surprised to hear someone referring to Gorilla Surplus prices as being anything but excessive. Weird. Haven't looked at their website in several years, about as long since visiting the Vancouver store. Last time I visited the site it was to see if they had any usable wadcutters in .177" as my order of a couple of sleeves from the prairies was taking a while getting here and I needed a tin or two to train with before a match. They showed RWS Diabolo Basic for about $9 I think. Went to the store (it's about 8 blocks from my house) and asked for the one tin sitting in the display. They were marked $14.95. I showed the greasy-haired camo-wearing dufus behind the counter the website page on my phone. He squinted at that, then offered a classic 'harumph' sort of a reaction, then said "Well you know what that is, right? We pay some guy in Pakistan $25 every six months or something to update the website. Can't expect him to get it right all the time." Uh huh. So I said no, actually $9 is about right. It's $7 a tin at Army & Navy, when they have them in stock. $6.99 actually. He got flustered, made various noises and gestures, then said "How about I meet you halfway? $12?" Apparently not a mathematician this fellow. But I wanted some pellets. So I bought the tin for $12.

I noted on a previous visit that they had a lot of CO2 BB and pellet pistols. A lot of really poor quality fake military clothing. The odd bit of actual surplus military gear, but not a lot and generally in terrible shape. They had collapsible batons, lots of styles - surprising to me as I'd thought those were illegal in Canada, but apparently not. Overall not impressed. No reason to go there since, especially with so many great online airgun suppliers across Canada.

Batons are not illegal as long as you are not carrying it with the intent of self defense against a human. Like if your pants are made of thicker material on one side and you are just putting it in your pocket to even out the weight distribution... or in case of rabid dog or rabbit attack.

BTW: 15-9 = 6; half of 6 = 3, 15-3 = 12....

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:56 pm 

gctkaz wrote:
I bought my current pair of boots there. Nothing spectacular, certainly not a high quality product, but I wear my boots hard and thus footwear is a pretty disposable thing to me. Cheaper than the pair I bought at Trev Deeley, which cost twice as much and still fell apart.

I probably wouldn't buy anything airgun-related there. Excessive prices as others have mentioned, even their knives cost more than the competition. Off-topic, for knives in GVRD, Warriors and Wonders is great. Some of their stuffs are even cheaper than Amazon, it blows my mind how they can do that...

CAT used tomake awesome boots that lasted for years and years but the last pair I bought didn't even last a year. Never again, CAT... fool me once, you can't get fooled again. Goddam sellouts, Goddam CEO's.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:34 pm 

I have never stopped in there, but do get a kick seeing that Gorilla in combat gear on the sidewalk, every time I drive by. :D