Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:28 pm 

This is a follow-up on my recent review of the Cometa Indian, topic71461.html. In the meantime I have put just over 1000 pellets through this pistol and think there may be some interest in what my feelings are now about this product.

At 975 rounds the pistol quit! Suddenly there was no resistance to the cocking lever; I could freely swing the lever through its full arc. There seemed to be no physical connection to the piston and main spring, it was not possible to cock the gun. Since it was under warrantee I did not open the pistol up to deal with the issue, instead I sent it to back to D&L for repair, or replacement, if required.

Now the story turns positive again. Within eight days the pistol went from Alberta to BC, got fixed and returned to my hands. Thank you D&L, thank you Canada Post! John (D&L) explained: the piston was burnt and the main spring quite warped due to dieseling. The dieseling was caused by over oiling the pistol. Damaged parts have been replaced.

I was unaware the pistol dieseled. I associate loud cracking reports with this condition, but this pistol is very quiet and has been from the start. However, dieseling would explain the surprisingly high muzzle velocity I measured shortly after I first got the pistol - average 501 ft/s with RWS Hobby 7 gr. pellets. Now, after the repair, muzzle velocity averages a reasonable 457 ft/s.

To celebrate the return of the Cometa Indian I dressed it up with ambidextrous grips I made from 19 mm thick floorboards (No, Murray, I did not rip them out of the floor; I have spare boards!). While the manufacturers grips feel very good to me, I shoot mostly left handed and prefer the grips I just made.

The Cometa Indian has become one of my favourite pistols. It is a surprisingly accurate shooter, as long as a consistent hold is used, combined with a straight back trigger pull. I get equally good results whether I shoot this gun left handed, right handed, or two handed. This gives me some extra fun: I take it along to the Phoenix indoor shooting range where I shoot my powder burners. When someone next to me raises the roof shooting some Magnum cannon, I pull out my near soundless Cometa air pistol and shoot it one handed at 42 to 56 feet target distance. This is always good for looks of incredulity and the inevitable question: 'hey, what are ye shootin?'

Bottom line: I am very happy with my purchase. All the Cometa Indian has to demonstrate now is long term reliability.

OzzieM

Attachments:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 232.72 KiB | Viewed 5923 times ]
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 222.95 KiB | Viewed 5923 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:38 pm 

Thanks for the follow-up!
Love My 2 little Indians!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:21 am 

ejackyou wrote:
Thanks for the follow-up!
Love My 2 little Indians!

How hard have you worked them?
O.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:16 am 

I absolutely love my Cometa Indian - or Native American as it's more politically correctly known in the States. Just ordered a nickel version and have a line on two RWS 9B's (same gun). It's a sweet slammer and a joy to shoot. But how do you guys manage to get them in Canada? Mine Chronys all day long at 555 fps with Premier hollow points and RWS Superdomes. I thought the limit in te big 'C' was 500 fps.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:24 am 

Great post Ozzie M. It's nice to see that there are shooters in the big 'C' that appreciate this sleeper. I'm at the other end of the continent in San Diego.

I bought a black Indian (perhaps I should rephrase that) mildly used (about 200 pellets supposedly) a few months ago. I have since put at least 800 pellets, in a variety of weights and brands, though it. I have since ordered a nickel version and may be able to get my hands on two RWS 9B's (same gun).

When I got mine it was dieseling - smoke coming out of the barrel and breech when I loaded the next pellet. You didn't see that with yours? It's pretty standard with a new gun. I just cleaned out the barrel until there was no oil left on on a piece of cloth.

Have you dialed in a favorite pellet? Mine loves RWS Diabolo Basics 7g. Cheap. And I'm getting up to 555 fps with them pretty consistently. You mentioned in the 450's. Is yours de-tuned for the Canadian market? I suppose Cometa could mess with the transfer port to decrease velocity, but you may be getting more fps than you think. Have you chrony'd it?

There is of course the mildly annoying problem of no elevation adjustment on the rear sight. And the gun shoots a bit high out of the box. But as I'm sure you figured out a small piece of credit card under the rear of the sight takes care of that.

I wish you many years of fun with the gun. These things are built to last.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:13 pm 

I guess Our Indians in Canada are a little more Reserved!
I'm only getting around the legal limit with both of mine?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:13 am 

ejackyou wrote:
I guess Our Indians in Canada are a little more Reserved!
I'm only getting around the legal limit with both of mine?

I think Cometa must be de-tuning them slightly for the Canadian market. I know in their specs they show 492 fps. But in the US they routinely do 525 to 550. The same is true with the older RWS 9B, which is the same pistol.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:43 pm 

palmnell wrote:
Great post Ozzie M. It's nice to see that there are shooters in the big 'C' that appreciate this sleeper. I'm at the other end of the continent in San Diego.

I bought a black Indian (perhaps I should rephrase that) mildly used (about 200 pellets supposedly) a few months ago. I have since put at least 800 pellets, in a variety of weights and brands, though it. I have since ordered a nickel version and may be able to get my hands on two RWS 9B's (same gun).

When I got mine it was dieseling - smoke coming out of the barrel and breech when I loaded the next pellet. You didn't see that with yours? It's pretty standard with a new gun. I just cleaned out the barrel until there was no oil left on on a piece of cloth.

Have you dialed in a favorite pellet? Mine loves RWS Diabolo Basics 7g. Cheap. And I'm getting up to 555 fps with them pretty consistently. You mentioned in the 450's. Is yours de-tuned for the Canadian market? I suppose Cometa could mess with the transfer port to decrease velocity, but you may be getting more fps than you think. Have you chrony'd it?

There is of course the mildly annoying problem of no elevation adjustment on the rear sight. And the gun shoots a bit high out of the box. But as I'm sure you figured out a small piece of credit card under the rear of the sight takes care of that.

Aaaah, San Diego: the beaches, the pizzas and beers at Pizza Port - there is no better place for this Canadian in Winter!

My Cometa did not smoke, but it did smell. By the way, the dieseling does not happen in the barrel, but between piston face and transfer port at end of stroke. Lubrication of the compression chamber should be minimal to prevent dieseling.

My Cometa has been happy with any pellet I put through it. I use mostly RWS Hobby 7.0 gr and RWS Diabolo Basic 7.0 gr, like you. The muzzle velocities I reported were cronied. I suspect Cometa Indians sold here in Canada have a Canadian sized main spring. For my purposes this pistol has all the power needed. I shoot it at home at 10 yards and also take it along to the indoor shooting range where I exercise my powder burners, shooting it at 18 yards. At these distances the pellets cut clean holes in the targets I use, satisfying my needs.

Regarding the 'mildly annoying problem' you refer to, my Indian shot on centre out of the box, at both distances I mentioned above. Either manufacturing tolerances worked in my favour, or the manufacturer has dealt with the issue.

I share your opinion that this pistol is solid and fully expect many years of fun from it. At this point I put 1500 pellets through it and promise an update at 15 000 rounds.

Thank you for your good wishes,

Ozzie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:12 pm 

OzzieM wrote:
palmnell wrote:

Aaaah, San Diego: the beaches, the pizzas and beers at Pizza Port - there is no better place for this Canadian in Winter!

My Cometa did not smoke, but it did smell. By the way, the dieseling does not happen in the barrel, but between piston face and transfer port at end of stroke. Lubrication of the compression chamber should be minimal to prevent dieseling.

My Cometa has been happy with any pellet I put through it. I use mostly RWS Hobby 7.0 gr and RWS Diabolo Basic 7.0 gr, like you. The muzzle velocities I reported were cronied. I suspect Cometa Indians sold here in Canada have a Canadian sized main spring. For my purposes this pistol has all the power needed. I shoot it at home at 10 yards and also take it along to the indoor shooting range where I exercise my powder burners, shooting it at 18 yards. At these distances the pellets cut clean holes in the targets I use, satisfying my needs.

Regarding the 'mildly annoying problem' you refer to, my Indian shot on centre out of the box, at both distances I mentioned above. Either manufacturing tolerances worked in my favour, or the manufacturer has dealt with the issue.

I share your opinion that this pistol is solid and fully expect many years of fun from it. At this point I put 1500 pellets through it and promise an update at 15 000 rounds.

Thank you for your good wishes,

Ozzie

Yes Ozzie, Pizza Port. Great Pizza and great beer in San Diego.

I know where the dieseling emanates from, but it does make its way into the barrel, and that's where the smoke comes out.
It will continue to get into the barrel until the oil is removed. As I said my Cometa smoked like a .22 powder burner for a while until I cleaned it out.

I'm not so sure that the gun is de-tuned for shipment to Canada. Pyramyd Air states 'Ships To Canada' and I'm pretty sure they do nothing to it before they ship it. You may want to ask them. The specs state 492 fps so that could be why. But on the first ten shots using 7.9g Premiers mine produced the following: 485,524,504,512,512,514,506,518,517,518. After about 200 shots With the lighter RWS Diabolo 7g's it settled in to between 540 - 550. Plenty of whack and it punches very clean holes in 10 meter targets. Are you sure that yours only gets mid 400's? May be worth checking again. If so that's still adequate for plenty of plinking fun.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:40 am 

Hey Ozzie,

Just talked to Pyramyd Air. They will ship stock models to Canada because the specs say 492 fps. In fact the minimum you'll get is about 525 fps. I get more. Both the black and the nickel are coming in at the end of next week: $189 and $209 respectively. Shipping is about $17.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:18 pm 

I am satisfied with the power of my Cometa Indian, as noted earlier. Down the road, when I feel the main spring needs to be replaced, I might do so with a slightly stronger one. For now I am good.

Ozzie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:15 am 

OK. Just wanted to say that a US powered Cometa is available. Have fun with yours.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:47 am 

After reading all of the glowing reviews about the Indian - I am really thinking hard of ordering one from D&L here in B.C.

Just need to get the funds together...

:wink:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:47 am 

wllm995 wrote:
After reading all of the glowing reviews about the Indian - I am really thinking hard of ordering one from D&L here in B.C.

Just need to get the funds together...

:wink:

The gun is pretty unique. The closest pistol I can compare it to is a Webley Tempest on steroids. But you have obviously read the feedback from forum members who own them so you know what you're getting into. Some members own two, as I do. It's a real joy to shoot. I have been taking it out as a trio with my FAS 6004 and a Beeman P17. Three very different pistols with different styles of handling. Hold the Cometa loosely and let it do its thing. It's a powerful springer, but it's accurate, more powerful than the specs and quite quiet. D&L currently has them in stock and the nickel version will cost you $266 including tax and shipping.

Have fun. Out of the box you will probably need to shim the rear sight. I can give you tips on that. It's easy.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:43 am 

I have both the nickel and black Indians, both of which are excellent shooters. Both of mine shot low @ 8m, the distance of my cellar range, and was corrected by a 1/32" shim beneath the rear sight. I shoot both frequently and have had no problems whatsoever. I've also made wood grips for both of mine. For the quality and price, I consider these pistols a true bargain. Nice review. RC