Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 10:28 pm 

Hi all. So today at a gun show, I picked up a few spring air rifles. A couple of them do not work/fire when a pellet is installed. One is a Marksman 1790, one is similar to those sold at Princess Auto but made in Hungary, and one is a Crossman Rawhide. The first two cock normally and sound normal when pulling the trigger, with pellet installed of course. But there is only sound, no movement from the pellet. The Rawhide does not build pressure while cocking the foregrip. After 5 or so pumps, and a pull of the trigger, it simply sounds like the trigger group moving kind of like a deep dull 'click'. Is it possible that the seals are gone in these air rifles? Could they be made with leather if they are broken? Or worst case, does anybody know what could be wrong with these rifles? Thank you in advance for any and all help provided.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 10:29 pm 

Forgot to edit the first post. It would appear by after an online search that the unknown rifle is a Relum Telly.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 11:16 pm 

Seals fail, sure. Are these old guns? If so, it is likely they will need work to bring them back into condition for shooting. Quite normal. Seals age, dry out, crumble whether synthetic or leather. I'm surprised you were permitted to attempt firing pellets at a gun show. Then again I've never been to a gun show, so perhaps this is normal.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 11:17 pm 

I can tell you that the rawhide/mod 125's (1973-74) seals are toast because its a single stroke pneumatic, 1 pump = 1 shot... As for the telly im guessin the piston seal (probably leather?) is gone or the spring is, either or sounds lime rebuild time 8)

Try pellgun oil in the compression tube for the crosman and perhaps chamber lube in the telly as a start then go from there...

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 6:49 am 

Just to clarify. I did not test fire the air rifles at the gun show. This was done at home after acquiring them.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 6:51 am 

Thanks for the help. I now have somewhere to start.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 10:24 am 

Sounds like you and I went to the same show. I looked at the Marksman, and the price point was right :mrgreen: (but it's a Marksman) I came very close to buying the rawhide- but decided to walk with the 2200...

Good thing I ain't a springer guy- there were quite a few...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 8:21 pm 

Well, I oiled them as per recommendation, and the Rawhide has pressure during the pump, but does not hold. While my dad was pumping it, you could hear and feel the air coming out the muzzle at times, again, it was oiled so will let it sit a day or two. Same for the Telly. Cracked the barrel and put a few drops in the hole where the air comes out to push the pellet.
Would a homemade leather seal work for either one of these? I would like to know a bit more before disassembling either. If not leather, is there an alternate material I could use to make at home? Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 8:24 pm 

If you Google "make leather piston seal" the first few results are very informative.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 8:45 pm 

Ok, I just had to try. With the oil in the 'Rawhide', there was a bit of compression, but you could still hear air leaking. And as for the Telly, the oil I had put in earlier was now all over my bench. It appears to be of a much more 'open' design, hence why it probably leaked out. :shock: It now looks like Dr.Google will have to come to the rescue! I will look for a disassembly video/post to see what I am up against. The Telly does indeed sound powerful. It looks like it is the model with the single heavier spring.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 4:50 am 

You likely won't find any leather in the rawhide. Probability is high that it has a rubber piston cup seal. Your description sounds like there is a leak on the valve side. It is common for guns of this vintage to have a failure of the valve stem. Crosman used something similar to latex rubber for stem seals, and these stems are not easily repairable. It could also be foreign material inside the valve holding the stem open, or a broken stem spring. The only way to find out is to dismantle the gun and valve...

Good luck, and let us know what you find out!

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 5:00 am 

The relum telly originally came with double springs. A smaller, reverse-wound spring served as a type of spring guide for the larger mainspring. They sound like dragging chains over concrete blocks when cocking, and amazing twang when shot. Sounded like a bunch of angry hornets.

I have one. I put a single #7 spring from DL airguns in mine and it shoots about 540 fps with the original, treated leather seal. They also have an unusual adjustable trigger. Google is your friend. Very pleasant and accurate gun to shoot once tuned. Originally made in Hungary by FEG.

I actually have some spare parts. pm me if you need something before you go ordering parts from England (only parts source. Popular gun there)

I'm not multitasking. I'm doing something else until I remember what I was doing.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 6:35 am 

Thank you. Will likely look at it later tonight. Will post again later.