Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Started Reloading
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 6:12 pm 

I find it very relaxing and therapeutic :)
I grabbed a progressive Lee press on a trade on CGM with 9mm dies but I figured I should start with single stage so picked up a new Lee Classic single for my .38/.357 which I read is easier to load then 9mm.

built up the bench and started to decap some specials today.

I currently have a Lyman balance beam scale, carbide dies and SWC bullets for the .38.
I found a nice local gentlemen that supposed me wih everything and does the same for his club members.

anyone else enjoy reloading.

Post subject: Re: Started Reloading
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 7:21 pm 

Yes, it can easily become an addiction of its own.
- You spend a few hundreds to buy reloading gears to save $$
- Since your ammo is now cheaper, you end up shooting more...

- You end up getting great deals of fine rifle in "odd" calibre...
- Because it only means you need one more set of dies and some brass

- A friend who knows you reload gives you a set of dies in 7.5x54 that he somehow ended up but never used...
- Next thing you know, you're shopping for MAS-36

A word of advise, stay away from casting

:partyman:

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 7:46 pm 

I find myself range mining if you know what I mean lol.

I got 1000 rounds of 9mm to shoot and then reload and about 300 rounds of 38/357 and about 150 brass casings I am starting to work on.

will stay away from casting. trying to not Google this lol

I didn't think of cost savings since I dumped a pretty penny for my setup but more inbetween range days. I am hoping to get my black badge using a revolver which I hear can be done but most use semis.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 1:18 am 

187_cuteness wrote:
I didn't think of cost savings since I dumped a pretty penny for my setup but more inbetween range days. I am hoping to get my black badge using a revolver which I hear can be done but most use semis.

If you thought pellet guns could be addictive, wait until you see where this takes you!
Definitely take the black badge course, you will not regret it. I am new this year at IPSC shooting but have not seen a revolver at the few competitions I've been to. I'm actually at one now in Brooks so will let you know if anyone is using a revolver.
On the reloading part, you definitely need a progressive press, so that was a good decision. This weekend I will shoot about 300 rounds, and on average when I go to the range I shoot about 100 to 150.
Welcome to the new addiction.

Canuck 12 Ga O/U
Webley Alecto .22
Webley Tempest .22
Crosman 2240 .22
Crosman 1322 .22
Beretta PX4 .177
Member of NFA, CSSA & IPSC

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 7:37 am 

did you see any revolver guys?

my 66-1 arrives next week to keep her L frame sibling company.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 11:21 am 

Way to go, Rodney. Nice wheel gun.

As for casting, I find buying cast bullets by the 500 for my revolvers, already sized and lubed is 'cheaper' than spending the time casting, but - years ago, I shot nothing but cast in my .38/.357, .45 Auto and Colt and 44 Magnums. I cast, sized and lubed tens of thousands of bullets for those, over the years moslty old wheel weights.

Today, my casting is restricted to round balls for my ML's and bullets for the Black Powder and Smokeless Powder CTG. Rifles. The cast bullets available for those(Lyman) are overly expensive, besides, I prefer non-sized bullets for my rifles - as my own cast bullets have proven to be more accurate in all my rifles, even my .375 moose rifle.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 9:09 pm 

Back from the match ... didn't see any revolvers at all. There may have been, (120 shooters), but I didn't see any.
That's a nice looking gun you have coming.
Speaking of revolvers ... I shot the S&W 50 Mag last week ... awesome gun .... $10 per round!
Enjoy the reloading.

Canuck 12 Ga O/U
Webley Alecto .22
Webley Tempest .22
Crosman 2240 .22
Crosman 1322 .22
Beretta PX4 .177
Member of NFA, CSSA & IPSC

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 9:20 pm 

Yes, I agree. I was edgy about the .500, but with factory ammo, the one I shot actually kicked (stung my hand) less than my 4" M29 loaded with 300gr. Cast and 20gr. W296. The .500 S&W load was 325gr.JFN Factory.

My .44 had the short round-butt grips on it - I changed it back to the larger full sized rubber grips and even then, the felt recoil was less for the heavy .500Mag.

Revolvers are more prevalent in IDPA handgun shoots.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 7:05 am 

I will use my 92fs inox more but I love the simplicity of a good wheel gun.
IDPA I hear is fun!

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 8:03 am 

Stihltech wrote:
187_cuteness wrote:

If you thought pellet guns could be addictive, wait until you see where this takes you!
Definitely take the black badge course, you will not regret it. I am new this year at IPSC shooting but have not seen a revolver at the few competitions I've been to. I'm actually at one now in Brooks so will let you know if anyone is using a revolver.
On the reloading part, you definitely need a progressive press, so that was a good decision. This weekend I will shoot about 300 rounds, and on average when I go to the range I shoot about 100 to 150.
Welcome to the new addiction.

When I took my BB course many years ago ( 16 years ago ). There was this guy trying to do it with a 44 MAG. Needless to say he never completed it. One, he couldn't shoot it fast enough, Two, he couldn't keep it on target., Three, couldn't reload fast enough, Four, he pissed off people next to him. In the many years I shot IPSC I think I seen 1 guy shoot revolver at a Match.

To the OP. I learned to reload when I was like 14. I stopped for insurance reason in an ground floor apartment. Its great if you shoot a lot, or expensive calibers like 45 ACP.

We used a Lee 1000 but after many years the thing worn out. But the auto disk became unreliable and so did the primer seater.. So we do things all in single stage Lee turret press ( with the auto index removed ) Do it in stages, and hand prime.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 9:05 am 

I would reload .22 if it was possible. I just find it fun and relaxing lol.
picking up a RCBS tumbler with media this week off CGN!

I still need to hook up the progressive press but I'm really liking my Single Lee classic.
I'm going to start putting powder if I get time this week to the brass I already primed and sized.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 11:19 am 

I was able to crank out close to 400 .45ACP an hour with my old Dillon. It was slower with .38's & .44's of course.

To use a .44 Mag. in rapid fire, takes a LOT of practice and conditioning, as does reloading it quickly.

IDPA has just started up at our club - I had planned on checking it out this summer.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 8:58 am 

the only IDPA close to me is just under 2hrs drive :(
anyways I ended up loading over max powder will pull them apart and start again.
anyone looking to sell .38/357 brass holler at me.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 9:18 am 

187_cuteness wrote:
I would reload .22 if it was possible. I just find it fun and relaxing lol.
picking up a RCBS tumbler with media this week off CGN!

I still need to hook up the progressive press but I'm really liking my Single Lee classic.
I'm going to start putting powder if I get time this week to the brass I already primed and sized.

All we do is use single stage press. It makes life easier when you sort and do things in stages.

Like have clean, prep and primed brass.So its just matter of adding power and bullets and run it thru the seating stage. Thats the trick to single stage.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 7:22 pm 

my buddy who has been reloading for 40 years came today and confirmed I'm doing it all right!

now I might be moving on to a .223 for a new to me 1967 Rem700 I was able to pry off his hands lol.