Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 5:55 am 

another cold and rainy day here in st. kitts. so more target experimenting. heres a simple pop up one. [I think they are more fun when you knock them down and they pop back up; as opposed to just hanging down and flopping back and forth on the hinge.] didn't get a chance to shoot it yet; but works great when smacked down with my hand. and I smacked it down hard quite a few times. this is a basic tryout one. after I test it with a gun. I'll make maybe 4 more . then make a wooden frame to attach them to and start blasting.

Attachments:
t1rsz_photo0028_2.jpg
t1rsz_photo0028_2.jpg [ 40.49 KiB | Viewed 3224 times ]

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 9:38 am 

That is a pretty cool target!

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 9:42 am 

Good idea using the elastic band. :idea:

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 1:47 pm 

just tried it with my daisy 953 at 10 meters. worked good. it didn't go down as far as I hoped. but the 953 isn't very powerful anyway. when hit tho it did great; bounced back an inch or two and popped straight up again. i hit it about 50 times and it started raining so i quit.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 2:48 pm 

Will pellet/lead spray not damage the elastic band? Some sort of cover ( snipped open tin-can cover attached to the mounting screw) over the band might be in order.
Perhaps a sub 500fps might not, but I expect a P.A.L. rifle might create enough 'pierces' to make this a problem.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 3:01 pm 

Daryl wrote:
Will pellet/lead spray not damage the elastic band? Some sort of cover ( snipped open tin-can cover attached to the mounting screw) over the band might be in order.
Perhaps a sub 500fps might not, but I expect a P.A.L. rifle might create enough 'pierces' to make this a problem.

even before I made it I thought of that. I was going to cut a piece of tubing or small plastic pipe or something and slide the elastic through it. but didn't have anything handy. this was just a rough tryout.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 6:46 pm 

\it works, Pete and well- different elastic strength might allow more target travel yet reset as needed. Now that it works, time to increase the longevity.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 7:01 pm 

A light spring may solve the lead splatter problem, which I agree will be a problem, even with a tube since the elastic will be exposed as soon as the target moves slightly.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 8:20 pm 

I;m going to cut some smaller targets [if it ever gets nice out.]. and I can make them different lengths to attach to the hinge. also if the elastic lasts even a day or two of shooting that;d be okay. I got a big bag of those ones for about $2.00 at staples. theres problably over 100 in the bag. they sell bags of them in dollarama too.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 11:26 am 

A piece of thin steel sheet of soup can, 2" wide X 2-3" long, slightly open L shape and mounted using the lower plate/arm screw through the short bottom of the "L" would protect the elastic from any pellet splatter.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 12:01 pm 

I wonder if it would work having the elastic stretched across the back .The target would fall down on it and spring back up.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 5:57 pm 

I tried the bouncing up target ; and the ones I had on hand are too heavy. I was going to make one where you hit the target.; knock it down onto a stretched out elastic ; there would be another target a couple inches away on the other side of the elastic ; and when you hit that one it would hit against the elastic and bounce the first one back up. but then with that one you would need a frame and maybe magnets. not to mention ; TIME. when I think of these things in my head they seem easy. but doing them takes a lot of time.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 2:51 pm 

pete wrote:
another cold and rainy day here in st. kitts. so more target experimenting. heres a simple pop up one. [I think they are more fun when you knock them down and they pop back up; as opposed to just hanging down and flopping back and forth on the hinge.] didn't get a chance to shoot it yet; but works great when smacked down with my hand. and I smacked it down hard quite a few times. this is a basic tryout one. after I test it with a gun. I'll make maybe 4 more . then make a wooden frame to attach them to and start blasting.

finally a good day for shootin. I shot 3 guns today. I made 3 more of these targets and made them a bit better. I cut the elastic so it is just one long piece. thread it through the hole in the L bracket and it can be adjusted with the hook screw. my qb78d knocked these right down and they popped back up. shot quite a bit and not one elastic broke. I wish I could do videos and pics better. but I ain;t that computer savvy.

Attachments:
Photo0040 (2).jpg
Photo0040 (2).jpg [ 103.26 KiB | Viewed 2931 times ]
Photo0045 (2).jpg
Photo0045 (2).jpg [ 174.16 KiB | Viewed 2932 times ]
Photo0043.jpg
Photo0043.jpg [ 703.97 KiB | Viewed 2932 times ]

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 5:19 pm 

heres another one I put together. I only had string when I made it. I have some small chains now; I will put them on ; maybe tomorrow[no work yaaaay.] maybe more shootin [yaaay].

Attachments:
Photo0041 (2).jpg
Photo0041 (2).jpg [ 193.34 KiB | Viewed 2923 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:55 pm 

...So , what if you hung a small weight through a hole and attached it to the arm instead of a rubber band ?....using fish weights (or used pellets) you could simply adjust the weight for the amount of 'reaction' with different powered airguns...I like the concept you've come up with.................