Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 8:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 7:57 am 
Supporting Member

When I got my Phantom, it had an issue with the barrel being securely locked into place to fire.

The wedge shaped pin that does the job was "crunchy" to push in, so I lubed it as well as I could, and it helped a bit, but each time I would straighten the barrel, I checked by wiggling to be sure it was locked.

I just got a new .22 barrel for my nitro venom from R&R Airgun, and it came without the locking wedge, but seeing the set-up made it clear how the wedge is installed/removed.

The raised ridge around the pivot hole in the barrel is not machined, it is a bushing which can be pushed out, and then the wedge and its spring simply come out of the hole they're in.

I found that on my Phantom the hole in the end of the wedge where the spring fits was very roughly bored out, and the spring was binding, so I wrapped some 400 sandpaper around 1/8" dowel, put it in the drill and smoothed it out. It solved the problem, and the Phantom now opens smoothly and closes like a bank vault.

Peter :D

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 10:27 am 

Hey Griffin, good to know you're up and about after being SHOT BY YOUR OWN HANDS (disclaimer: the statement in bold is there for dramatic purposes only - Peter G did not try to kill himself)
Thanks for sharing the tip on the Phantom and how to fix it. I noticed that on both of mine the machining is rough, then again that's what can be expected from low cost Crosman craftsmanship. Both guns will be subjected to a tune and a lube job when time allows, not to mention plenty of deburring. Will be sure to check the pivot holes in mine. Thanks for the timely tip.

PS: how's that war wound? Fully recovered by now? Please note that some of the hardcore crowd here may insist in seeing a pic of the scar, so be prepared to strip in front of a camera.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 5:41 pm 
Supporting Member

I only own "budget" air guns, Crosman, Umarex, Xisco, Daisy etc., and I love them.

I've found that with a little attention they turn into very accurate (it's no fun to shoot an inaccurate gun) and fun guns to shoot. I'm more than happy to put in some fun time tuning/fairing etc., which the manufacturers left out so they could save me money on the purchase price. :)

Anyway, the "new" prices of the German guns have all gone up quite a bit, so they're not an option for me.

I'm pretty disappointed in my shooting scars. The entry wound (got that from TV) looks like any of the other scars I have all over the place from 72 years of knocking about, and the doctors did way too neat a job of sewing (three stitches only) the hole they made to get the bullet core out.

I was hoping for something that would make people stare and wonder, but no such luck. :cry:

Peter :D

PS: I've discovered that a local "Pro Hardware" store carries RWS pellets at $14.50 for 500 in .22 caliber. Maybe others do too.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 11:53 am 

Thanks for this,

I have a new Quest that also seems a bit stiff but it is new. I too only have mostly Chinese built guns but that will need some persoanal attention but that only adds to the hobby. Kind of like my Blackberry phone takes a lot of TLC to keep Google and Apple from killing their app access, but I love mine. (Its even Canadian)
To be honest if the Chinese didn't build them so we could get cheap our club would be so much smaller. Some of us need a Chevy and not a Cadi or BMW

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 12:34 pm 

You can also put a little washer behind the wedge spring for a very solid lockup.Be sure to lube up the washer and spring.I use moly. :D

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 12:43 pm 

tango wrote:
if the Chinese didn't build them so we could get cheap our club would be so much smaller.

Much truth in that. It was a $60 Crosman on sale at CT that caught my eye and got me back shooting. As someone that loved it as a kid, shooting just wasn't in my mind as other sports had my attention. If paying 10x for a German made rifle was the only option, I wouldn't be typing this.

Cheap guns are a lot like older motorcycles. Sure, a new modern bike is unbeatable but it is a privilege to ride older bikes as each has a character of their own. Bottom line: not matter what you ride or shoot, it is still better than doing a lot of other less productive things.