Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Long Range
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:01 am 

Is there a competition anywhere in Canada similar to Extreme Bench Rest in the States? Will there ever be?
Thanks

BAM B51 Custom
Crosman 2240 Custom-ish
Career 9mm

Post subject: Re: Long Range
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:14 am 

Now thats something I would be interested in also. Ft sounds like fun, but getting into the prone position is somewhat of a challenge getting back up, and my strong heart beat makes shooting off hand a waste of time. Even bench rest is a challenge with my heart beat.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:25 am 

X2. Not strong heart beat but BAD knees. I'd love to shoot Bench Rest with pcp's and maybe rimfire. We should ask the FT host in our area of this little country if they could hold a trial informal BR event to see if there is interest in the sport. With all the aged shooters with expensive equipment it seems a natural fit.
--Ed.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:15 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

SaskAirgunKid96 wrote:
Is there a competition anywhere in Canada similar to Extreme Bench Rest in the States? Will there ever be?
Thanks

That'd be AWESOME!

You are welcome to take the lead in organizing this, CAFTA will help out as much as we can, but realistically none of us have any extra time to devote to something like this.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:16 pm 

If I was to get into the prone position I just might roll over and take a nap, using my shooting bags for pillows.
zzzzzz......zzzzzz....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:57 pm 

In the FT Open and Hunter Divisions, you can sit on a backless chair, no higher than 18 inches, and use a bipod in Open and a mono-pod in Hunter. If you rest the gun on the support and elbows on your knees, you can eliminate a great deal of heartbeat movement. If you are unable to kneel, you can take those shots standing as many, including myself, have done. No need to ever shoot prone; it is not one of the forced positions.

Only one guy shoots prone at our club matches. Kind of a forgotten position.

Most FT shooter do not like shooting off a bench very often, as you are perhaps testing the accuracy of the gun more than the skill of the shooter. I only shoot off a bench when I am testing to see which pellet a gun prefers. I do all my other shooting from FT positions and even set the aim points for the scope from the sitting FT position.

Bench rest is quite different than FT and usually has a separate governing body. Maybe someone has to take the lead and start a BR Association. I am sure the CAF would start a sub-forum for it if it gets going. The more participation in the shooting/air gun sports, the better.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:09 pm 

Well i guess I'll start by making a group for a Bench Rest Organization. I encourage anyone who is interested in helping with organization, class structure, rule etc. to join. I will post the name as soon as I finish the group page. Let's get long range competition going.
Thanks
Charles

BAM B51 Custom
Crosman 2240 Custom-ish
Career 9mm

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:19 pm 

Well that was faster than I thought. The group is Canadian Bench Rest Competition. Will make it more official once there is some following and input.

BAM B51 Custom
Crosman 2240 Custom-ish
Career 9mm