Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Benchrest Scope
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:11 pm 

Where I'm happy with airguns and rimfire my son likes to remind me he fires REAL guns. In rifles he has a Browing xbolt in .243 and a Savage Model 110 FCP HS Precision .308. He hunts but now wants to get into benchrest shooting. There are a few 600 yard ranges and competitions here in Ontario and he's even talking about traveling to shoot at 1000 yards.
He's about to graduate university and I want to get him a competition benchrest scope. I'd like to keep it under $2500 but can go higher if it's an exceptional value. I've looked at NightForce and Leopold with variable ?X40 zoom and 50+ OB. Any suggestions?
--Ed.

Post subject: Re: Benchrest Scope
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:27 pm 

Quite a few long range shooters are happy with their Sightron
I'd give a call to Jerry @ http://mysticprecision.com

http://www.hirschprecision.com/ is another reputable Canadian dealer (They stock both Sightron and Nightforce)

-

Depending where you/he are in Ontario, it might be worrth your while to travel to one of the ORA/DCRA/NCRRA match and see what other shooters are using, and look through it before spending the $$

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:25 pm 

Have a look at this one as a "budget" option:

https://www.reliablegun.com/en/burris-r ... shockproof

Generally good reviews, and considered good value. Hard to say if you'll be able to check one out locally before buying, though.

FX Streamline .22 - Optisan Mamba Lite 4-16X44
Hammerli Pneuma Elite 10 .22 - Bushnell Elite 4200 4-12X40
Custom Crosman 2240 w/ LW barrel - Vortex Strikefire
Remington AirMaster 77 PAL rated - CenterPoint 3-9X40

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:41 am 

Sillymike I checked out the Sightron S111SS and was impressed. It had everything you could want on a scope and if it's getting $1500 from repeat customers who am I to doubt it's quality.
I tend to be an impulse buyer and often regret buying equipment so that's good advice about going to the competitions and talking to the people using them.
Barfman the Burris looks to be as good as any scopes I've looked at and I realize you can't make a decision on specs and biased reviews so I'm taking sillymike's advice and going to talk to the actual competitors.
I might also be able to pick up a good used model at a good price from them.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:45 am 

Definitely a good call to go check some out in person.

FX Streamline .22 - Optisan Mamba Lite 4-16X44
Hammerli Pneuma Elite 10 .22 - Bushnell Elite 4200 4-12X40
Custom Crosman 2240 w/ LW barrel - Vortex Strikefire
Remington AirMaster 77 PAL rated - CenterPoint 3-9X40

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:35 pm 

THIS post is not in any way a put down on any of the posts above, however I feel THIS link is the place to find your answers about suitable scopes, not an air gun forum - unless you are talking about air gun benchrest. http://benchrest.com/forum.php

The .22 LR bench rest shooters locally, mostly use Leupold scopes. My old 8-32x40 Model 4200, on the other hand, is totally suitable for BR - at any range - it's resolution is better at 1000yards, than any scope of recent manufacture that I've looked through. I've never, however, used a Sightron or Nightforce.