Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Should he have called the cops?
Poll ended at Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:41 pm
Yes 32%  32%  [ 6 ]
No 68%  68%  [ 13 ]
Total votes : 19
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:44 pm 

PGAir wrote:
Why don't you asked the police when (if) they were there with you? They should know the laws of your municipality more than anyone here. And sorry, but I can not believe they left the place after five minutes without informing you if the laws of your municipality allow you to shoot airguns in your backyard, especially if they have received a call.

Edit: And I don't think personally that a foam mattress is a safe backstop.

It's not an amazing backstop but I also had a big piece of plywood behind it, the guns I were shooting are all under 500 fps and some 1 is under 400, they aren't the fastest and the wood on its own stops every single one, I have the foam mattress mainly so it's quieter.

Stoeger X20

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:45 pm 

Plinkercases wrote:
Even if the discharge is not prohibited by the bylaws they could try the "Noise" bylaw as a way to get you to stop. perhaps you are below the regulated sound levels but he can start by saying it is prohibiting his enjoyment and peace etc. in his back yard.

At the time I made sure he wasn't in his backyard, I wouldn't shoot with him there, even though I wouldn't miss my target just incase there ever was a flyer or a malfunction with the gun.

Stoeger X20

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:53 pm 

Update:

I really can't seem to find any bylaws about shooting, the site is quite useless. http://www.newwestcity.ca/city_hall/bylaws.php

I am looking into noise bylaws about disturbing peace and it seems that the city just tells everyone to "solve it in a neighborly fashion" unless the noise is violent or may lead to violence? I assume that is about arguments between people but it states that they can bring bylaw officers down to measure the noise level to see if it is an offense... Would this be necessary? Hopefully I can find out more and if it is legal I can just keep doing it and hopefully talk to my neighbor about it.

I am quite surprised that the cops said nothing about shooting here though, they saw where I was shooting from and what I was shooting and what I was shooting with, but made no comment on whether or not it was legal...

Stoeger X20

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:04 pm 

If he knew previously that they were airguns but he called the police and told them you were using real firearms, it seems likely your neighbour wanted the police to show up in force with guns drawn, just to see what would happen. Your neighbour plainly dislikes you. A lot.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:13 pm 

GerardSamija wrote:
If he knew previously that they were airguns but he called the police and told them you were using real firearms, it seems likely your neighbour wanted the police to show up in force with guns drawn, just to see what would happen. Your neighbour plainly dislikes you. A lot.

Yea, it was actually just extremely ignorant to do something like that, glad everything ended well though. It would have been a bummer if the cops seized anything or came in with weapons drawn.

Stoeger X20

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:40 pm 

I think you got off easy... in many municipalities, a firearm call would have gotten you a visit for the local SWAT team...

Maybe you ought to print section 140 of the criminal code of Canada and send it to your neighbour. You know, just to be nice, wouldn't want him to get into trouble with the law.

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts ... n-140.html

-

When I read stories like this, I'm glad to have good (gun friendly) neighbours!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:02 pm 

sillymike wrote:
I think you got off easy... in many municipalities, a firearm call would have gotten you a visit for the local SWAT team...

Maybe you ought to print section 140 of the criminal code of Canada and send it to your neighbour. You know, just to be nice, wouldn't want him to get into trouble with the law.

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts ... n-140.html

-

When I read stories like this, I'm glad to have good (gun friendly) neighbours!

Yea, I'll print that off tonight and give it to him. It's quite surprising he would do something like that, he normally is a half decent neighbor. You'd assume as a retired firefighter he would have more respect?

Stoeger X20

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:20 pm 

Can't comment on the BC thing, but when I checked most Ontario municipalities, even rural ones have bylaws against shooting air guns in built up areas. Built up as in with neighbours.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:40 pm 

Chrissstiaan wrote:
because he left on his Harley.

And.......... that right there pretty much says it all...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:29 pm 

Joolz wrote:
Chrissstiaan wrote:
because he left on his Harley.

And.......... that right there pretty much says it all...

It wasn't that, it was just so he wouldn't get bothered, I've done it while he is home but I heard him leave because his Harley is so damn loud so I figured "Hey I haven't shot for a bit I'll go put out a target and shoot a little" but I guess he came home. I know that quote you said makes it sound bad but it was more me being mindful, not me trying to be sneaky.

Stoeger X20

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:05 pm 

There are Bi-law officers that are the enforcers of these types of things, Call them. I live in a small community and can shoot air guns in the backyard so long as I an at least 1/4 mile from any school. That was the only stipulation also there is a large field behind me and both neighbours know I shoot my air guns, just not the loud ones.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:57 pm 

topher1266 wrote:
There are Bi-law officers that are the enforcers of these types of things, Call them. I live in a small community and can shoot air guns in the backyard so long as I an at least 1/4 mile from any school. That was the only stipulation also there is a large field behind me and both neighbours know I shoot my air guns, just not the loud ones.

Yea, I can't find anything online about or bylaws. I'll give them a call later tonight and update the thread.

Stoeger X20

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:59 pm 

For what it's worth, here in Saskatoon you are not allowed to shoot anything on city property, but on your own property it's allowed. (There's no "no shooting in city limits" blanket prohibition.)

You still have to abide by the noise bylaws, and you still fall under the "....careless manner or without reasonable precautions for the safety of other persons." clause of section 86(1) in the Criminal Code.

And of course the provincial regs apply, so you're not allowed to hunt within 500m of any occupied dwelling without the permission of the owner/occupier. (Otherwise there's this one loud-squawking bird...)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:54 pm 

I gave the bylaw enforcement office a call, they are closed during weekends. I'll try calling again tomorrow but I'll update the thread as soon as I know the law.

Stoeger X20

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:00 pm 

dabbler:
Quote:
The cops though are gun lovers, so I would imagine they'd be lenient.

Cops love their guns, and as far as they are concerned, they are the only ones that should have them.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next