Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Should he have called the cops?
Poll ended at Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:41 pm
Yes 32%  32%  [ 6 ]
No 68%  68%  [ 13 ]
Total votes : 19
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:57 pm 

Not to pee on anyone's parade and hopefully doesn't happen to you, but it is possible that your neighbour's complaint may be forwarded to City By-laws for follow up and might involve a ticket. As has already been stated, in most municipalities in BC, there will be a by-law prohibiting to discharge of a firearm, including airguns as well as archery equipment. I don't know for certain but it likely is to prevent cats and dogs from being targeted.

Tb

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:00 am 

If the neighbour as a "noisy" Harley and he wants to be a prick... Someone could always get even.

Quote:
Motor Vehicle Act Regulations

Muffler

7.03 (1) A motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine shall be equipped with an exhaust muffler consisting of a series of pipes or chambers which ensures that the exhaust gases from the engine are cooled and expelled without excessive noise. Cut-outs prohibited

(2) No person shall drive or operate a motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine when the muffler with which the vehicle is equipped is cut out or disconnected from the engine. Part removal prohibited

(3) No person shall drive or operate a motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine equipped with a muffler from which has been removed any baffle plate or other part. Alteration prohibited

(4) No person shall drive or operate a motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine equipped with a muffler the exhaust outlet of which has been opened or widened. Noise increase or flames prohibited

(5) No person shall drive or operate a motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine equipped with a muffler or exhaust system to which is attached any device which increases the noise of the expulsion of the gases from the engine or allows a flame to be emitted from the exhaust system.

Vehicle noise

27 A motor vehicle shall be equipped with an exhaust muffler which complies with section 7.03 of the regulations.

The opinion of an inspector as to whether the engine and exhaust noise is greater than that made by other vehicles in good condition of comparable size, horsepower, piston displacement or compression ratio shall determine whether exhaust gases are expelled with excessive noise.

When tested in an inspection station, the vehicle engine, any auxiliary engine and exhaust level shall not exceed Table 3 standards.
Class of Vehicle Maximum Allowable Sound Pressure Level DBA
Light duty 83
Gasoline-driven heavy duty 88
Motorcycles 91
Diesel-driven heavy duty 93

Quote:
Failure to comply with Unnecessary Noise, the excessive noise from exhausts systems, contrary to Section 7A.01 of the Motor Vehicle Act Regulations will result in a fine of $109.

The operator of the vehicle stopped for this offence will also be issued a Notice And Order which will require the vehicle to be inspected within 30 days at a Certified Inspection Station. The owner of the vehicle will be responsible for all repairs to the vehicle. Failure to comply with the Notice and Order within 30 days results in a fine of $598 and your licence plates seized by police and your vehicle towed at your expense to a Certified Inspection Station immediately.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:31 pm 

Just got off the phone with the woman at the bylaw office. She said I should call the police department non emergency number. I'll be doing that soon

Stoeger X20

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:45 am 

forgot quote

Last edited by bobtodrick on Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:45 am 

Edmonton<500 wrote:
dabbler:
Quote:
The cops though are gun lovers, so I would imagine they'd be lenient.

Cops love their guns, and as far as they are concerned, they are the only ones that should have them.

Completely false.
I deal and supply EPS (Edmonton Police Service) and talk to officers (including the TAC team on a weekly basis.
On the whole they are not against the public owning and enjoying firearms.
A misconception that is annoying to me because many here (and on other forums) post ignorant comments that fosters an 'us against them' mentality, which does us no good.
The Police Chiefs Association and many of the RCMP are against us owning firearms but that is because many of these people see a future in politics.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:59 am 

Agree with Bobtodrick, most officers are good guys (and gals) who mean well.

The problem seems to be with
- Many Chief of police, who are playing wannabe politicians.
- But, like any groups of individuals, there will always be a jerk in the bunch...

Personally, I couldn't be cop.
- Dealing with some of the bullsh@t they have to put up with, day in, day out
- Arresting the exact same folks, over and over again, for the exact same problems
- You're a jerk because you give someone a speeding ticket... then you get criticize because you weren't there to stop that speeding individual...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:04 pm 

Chrissstiaan wrote:
GerardSamija wrote:
It really is dependent upon your local bylaws. Where are you? In most cities there are strict bylaws these days, prohibiting discharge of any weapon, even airguns. Even slingshots or bows and arrows.

Really? Jesus, I live in New Westminster. I find it crazy that it would be illegal

If someone lives in a big city, then you might expect some anti-gun, small "l" liberal to raise a fuss. But you're in New Westminster! It's not like you live in a city or urban area, right? A man should be free to shoot an airgun in his back yard all he wants, so long as he assures his neighbours that they aren't dangerous. Anyone who complains is just being a wuss. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:20 pm 

bobtodrick wrote:
Edmonton<500 wrote:
dabbler:
Quote:
The cops though are gun lovers, so I would imagine they'd be lenient.

Cops love their guns, and as far as they are concerned, they are the only ones that should have them.

Completely false.
I deal and supply EPS (Edmonton Police Service) and talk to officers (including the TAC team on a weekly basis.
On the whole they are not against the public owning and enjoying firearms.
A misconception that is annoying to me because many here (and on other forums) post ignorant comments that fosters an 'us against them' mentality, which does us no good.
The Police Chiefs Association and many of the RCMP are against us owning firearms but that is because many of these people see a future in politics.

Completely overstated. Your opinion is no more valid than mine, and the fact that you are annoyed with people who disagree with you is a sentiment you have expressed on oh so many occasions. That's intolerance. I hear their attitudes at least four hours a week when I shoot at a range that is partially staffed by retired or moonlighting cops and predominantly patronized by incumbents. You have also contradicted yourself in the last sentence; It is the chief that sets the cultural tone in all police forces, and as you have also (over) stated, many have an aggressive stance on citizen-owned guns - handguns in particular.

So, disagree if you will, but please stop being so damned condescending about it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:07 pm 

Has anyone got numbers comparing how many guns the police collected at High River and how many folks got back? Oh sure, these were RCMP not local police... but since the RCMP are the de facto police in most places in Canada it seems a moot point. In my half century plus I've seen a lot of questionable police behaviours, whichever agencies, with the prevailing sense being that these people regard themselves as being somehow above the law (witness their driving behaviour, doing crazy nonsense in traffic without lights nor sirens) and better than the rest of us. In this case 609 firearms taken from citizen's homes then not reported properly to the higher authorities. Why report them when they consider themselves to be the highest authority? Putting such high handed behaviour together with the various and numerous scandals in the RCMP regarding treatment of first nations people, especially going females, and the many abuse cases against the VPD, and so much besides, it becomes difficult to respect such agencies from top to bottom. Sure there are good people within these organisations... but too many who seek after power over their fellow humans join police agencies like this.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/politics/rc ... -1.2954483

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:03 am 

Completely overstated. Your opinion is no more valid than mine, and the fact that you are annoyed with people who disagree with you is a sentiment you have expressed on oh so many occasions. That's intolerance. I hear their attitudes at least four hours a week when I shoot at a range that is partially staffed by retired or moonlighting cops and predominantly patronized by incumbents. You have also contradicted yourself in the last sentence; It is the chief that sets the cultural tone in all police forces, and as you have also (over) stated, many have an aggressive stance on citizen-owned guns - handguns in particular.

So, disagree if you will, but please stop being so damned condescending about it.[/quote]

Yup, I'll disagree.
I am also a member of a couple of Edmonton area ranges (if we saw each other face to face we may even recognize each other).
A few 'retired or moonlighting cops' (moonlighting cops aren't real LE...it is a full time job, I know of no electricians who 'moonlight' as a cop).
Also I highly doubt that these 'officers' would be working at a public range that is there to act as a place for the public to practice and hone their shooting skills. That would be the same as a homophobe working at a gay nightclub...don't see it happening.
I've closely dealt with EPS now for over 20 years. I'm a major supplier of equipment to them. I have shot with them on their city inhouse range as well as with their TAC team on a regular basis. I daresay I have a closer relationship and know many of them better than the few you've at your range.
As well, your statement that the chief sets the culture tone...patently false. It has been stated many time in the media when gun issues come up that the Police Chiefs Association does not speak for the duty members of most Canadian police forces.
Finally...yup, I was being condescending because this is not the first time you've come on this site with your obvious anti police attitude.
So there ya go.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:24 am 

bobtodrick wrote:
...A few 'retired or moonlighting cops' (moonlighting cops aren't real LE...it is a full time job, I know of no electricians who 'moonlight' as a cop)....

I think he meant cops moonlighting at the range.

I am not a cop, nor do I know any cops well personally. But just as a thought exercise imagining myself as a cop, would I rather work I'm a world where guns are only owned by police, or a world where guns are widely owned by everyone. Before anyone get all up in arms about this, just assume the public don't own guns by choice.

Hmmm, pretty clear choice to me. I rather have a zero chance of getting shot on the job (ok, close to zero since there is always chance of friendly fire). What about you?

Maybe this isn't an either or situation, like most things in a complicated society. Maybe cops can both wish there are less or even no guns in the publics hands, yet at the same time be ok with responsible gun ownership and shooting those guns only at the range and not at them.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:50 am 

Pokerdogg wrote:
bobtodrick wrote:
...A few 'retired or moonlighting cops' (moonlighting cops aren't real LE...it is a full time job, I know of no electricians who 'moonlight' as a cop)....

I think he meant cops moonlighting at the range.

I am not a cop, nor do I know any cops well personally. But just as a thought exercise imagining myself as a cop, would I rather work I'm a world where guns are only owned by police, or a world where guns are widely owned by everyone. Before anyone get all up in arms about this, just assume the public don't own guns by choice.

Hmmm, pretty clear choice to me. I rather have a zero chance of getting shot on the job (ok, close to zero since there is always chance of friendly fire). What about you?

Maybe this isn't an either or situation, like most things in a complicated society. Maybe cops can both wish there are less or even no guns in the publics hands, yet at the same time be ok with responsible gun ownership and shooting those guns only at the range and not at them.

I think most police are smart enough to know that the 'bad guys' will always obtain firearms...and that responsible, sane people will not use a firearm against them just because they own them.
For your 'only at the range' comment...many LE people I know, both city and RCMP are avid hunters and see no issue with you or I doing likewise.
I guess my beef (and yes I can be pretty forceful in my comments) is with the thinking so prevalent that cops are such douches because one gave me a speeding ticket yesterday when I was only going 15 over the limit.
I wouldn't want their job...and not because they might get shot (in reality it is probably a safer career than a roofer for example).
But would you want to be the guy that gets to go to the door of some family to tell them their 10 year old was just scraped off the pavement at the end of the block.
Or deal with a horrendous child abuse case? (happens more often than you think...only a small percentage hit the media).
I know I wouldn't.
And for all those who think we can do without them...you only have to look as far as New Orleans after Katrina to realize that in a disaster, when their are no cops around that pretty quickly those people who will kill you for your TV, or that bit of food in your fridge come out of the woodwork.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:35 pm 

You guys all have valid points and I understand both your opinions. But the convo is getting a little bit sidetracked :rolleyes:

Stoeger X20

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:59 pm 

Chrissstiaan wrote:
Just got off the phone with the woman at the bylaw office. She said I should call the police department non emergency number. I'll be doing that soon

Any success?

:?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:04 pm 

There are by-law officers???
I don't think there are any in my small town.

I've tried approaching my local rifle ranges to setup an airgun group but they aren't interested.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next