Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Should he have called the cops?
Poll ended at Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:41 pm
Yes 32%  32%  [ 6 ]
No 68%  68%  [ 13 ]
Total votes : 19
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:50 pm 

rrdstarr wrote:

I bet there are no Gun-racks in pick-up trucks in Canada, since it is supposed to be locked up during transit!

You don't need to lockup your firearms during transport. Gun racks are completely legal in pick-ups.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:02 pm 

The supposed "locked up during transport suggestion" has been challenged a number of times already. The cops who on 1 occasion happened to be an RCMP Females in Dawson Creek) attempting confiscations and laying charges lost every time - at least that is what I was told - her supervisor told her to "leave those guys alone" when she called it in.

If you are in complete control of the gun - or - if you leave the vehicle and the gun is not visible from the outside ie: encased - fine, but if you are not in the vehicle, in direct & immediate care and control, the firearm(s) should have a lock(s) on it/them. The locks on the door of your vehicle should be enough, but probably are not to prevent immediate confiscation and charges- hard to say. too much is left to the interpretation of the 'arresting' officer.

For those who shoot flinters you should with them, a copy of the regulations that states the owner of a flint lock rifle or shotgun does not have to be in possession of a valid P.A.L.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:41 pm 

technically/legally for non-restricted firearms in transport:

If attended - unloaded, muzzle loaders can be loaded between hunting sites but flint or cap removed.
If unattended - locked in a trunk or similar lockable compartment and if no such trunk or compartment available then out of sight.

If in remote wilderness area and unable to lock non-restricted firearms in vehicle.. (i.e. ATV, Gator, Skidoo?) - unload them and put them out
of sight. Attach a secure locking device to the firearms unless they are needed for predator control.

Legally I can drive around with my unloaded unlocked rifle on the seat beside me or even on a rack in the window when I am in the vehicle... but I would not suggest it. And I always transport my firearms with several copies of this pamphlet in the glove compartment, range bag, registration folder. trick to remember is that even if I leave them in the car locked with my family they are unattended since no one else has a PAL so I must treat the car as empty.

Attachment:
safestorage_e.jpg
safestorage_e.jpg [ 574.53 KiB | Viewed 492 times ]

http://plinkercases.ca/