Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:17 pm 

Ever since I got my first airgun a few years back I've been interested in trying a CO2 gun (I use single pump, break barrel & piston).

I recently started looking for a cheap and in my opinion; really cool way to getting into it a little. I've been looking into the Crosman Vigilante and it's pretty cool, I've heard pretty good things and it is quite cheap. Does anyone here have any experience with the gun? Or any similar guns they would recommend instead?

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Crosman_V ... olver/3253

Stoeger X20

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:49 pm 

One thing to keep in mind are the ridiculous dimensions. Not for someone with smaller hands. Before ordering suggest you make a stop at a Princess Auto or Can Tire and look at one in person, hold one if one is in a display case. You may find it just too silly given the exaggerated size. I have two of the pre Vigilant design (same gun but without the rail and more realistic size) and they sure are great guns to shoot. In case you didn't know, you can pull back in the hammer and this makes shooting a lot easier, as it pushes back the trigger for you, much like in a real revolver. You can shoot these forever, never a jam or issues. I much prefer the 357s (pre Vigilant) than any other CO2 pistol, especially since the pistols I have don't allow for windage adjustment.
If you do find the size to be too much for your liking, keep an eye on kijiji or other local classifieds. Often you may find 357s for sale for cheap. And be sure to buy extra clips for it, having only one isn't fun.

Just keep in mind that these are a lot louder than your P17. If your Harley neighbour had an issue with the noise from the P17, he'd be tossing his undies on the pavement in despair over the loudness of a CO2 gun.

Edit: found a pic showing a comparison between these Crosman revolvers (not to scale)
Looking at the pics I realize now the the sizes are about the same, the Vigilante looks that much bigger given the added rails. Regardless, if you have small hands it may not suit you.

Attachments:
357s.jpg
357s.jpg [ 73.84 KiB | Viewed 3235 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:18 pm 

Joolz wrote:
One thing to keep in mind are the ridiculous dimensions. Not for someone with smaller hands. Before ordering suggest you make a stop at a Princess Auto or Can Tire and look at one in person, hold one if one is in a display case. You may find it just too silly given the exaggerated size. I have two of the pre Vigilant design (same gun but without the rail and more realistic size) and they sure are great guns to shoot. In case you didn't know, you can pull back in the hammer and this makes shooting a lot easier, as it pushes back the trigger for you, much like in a real revolver. You can shoot these forever, never a jam or issues. I much prefer the 357s (pre Vigilant) than any other CO2 pistol, especially since the pistols I have don't allow for windage adjustment.
If you do find the size to be too much for your liking, keep an eye on kijiji or other local classifieds. Often you may find 357s for sale for cheap. And be sure to buy extra clips for it, having only one isn't fun.

Just keep in mind that these are a lot louder than your P17. If your Harley neighbour had an issue with the noise from the P17, he'd be tossing his undies on the pavement in despair over the loudness of a CO2 gun.

Edit: found a pic showing a comparison between these Crosman revolvers (not to scale)
Looking at the pics I realize now the the sizes are about the same, the Vigilante looks that much bigger given the added rails. Regardless, if you have small hands it may not suit you.

Thanks, I definitely forgot about the whole noise factor with this gun... I've held one before at a store and the size isn't a problem; but I guess it wouldn't be a suitable buy with my neighbors... I don't always shoot in my backyard but that's normally where I go to shoot my pistol. I'll look into the pistol you were talking about but I still will buy a c02 pistol for when I go out shooting out of the city.

Thanks for the insight!

Stoeger X20

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:43 pm 

Vigilante, Umarex 'Brodax', Daisy Powerline 5501

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:15 pm 

Chrissstiaan wrote:
I don't always shoot in my backyard but that's normally where I go to shoot my pistol. I'll look into the pistol you were talking about but I still will buy a c02 pistol for when I go out shooting out of the city.

Thanks for the insight!

If by your pistol you mean the P17, yeah, big difference between the report of it vs that of any CO2 gun. As an example I never wear hearing protection while shooting pumpers or springers (and that's indoors although I'm borderline on some of the louder springers) but with a CO2 pistol/rifle/revolver, I always do. It is that loud. But if you have a basement or a good 7 or so metres indoors to shoot at safely, then there's no reason why you couldn't enjoy something like a Vigilante without attracting unwanted attention. Since these are low speeds (about the same as the P17) you probably don't want to shoot at much further distances. And since I don't scope any of my handguns I find that around 6m is the ideal distance to hit bullseyes half the size of a dime. Any further and I find it becomes slightly uncomfortable (I don't like to guess where the target is and I like them tiny)

I have a few CO2 pistols, majority are BBs so that right there is a reason for me to let them gather dust. There are some nice pellet pistols. It's a matter of taste of course, but I much prefer shooting a revolver. The Vig are nice since they have adjustable rear sights, something a lot of pistols don't. Some pistols have blowback, something you may enjoy as it feels more realistic, although at the cost of accuracy and shot count as it uses more gas. If I were you I'd go for the Vig, but wait till you find one on sale. $80 is too much for one.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:59 pm 

Alright, I'll wait for one to go on sale. I might consider buying a bb pistol, would one of those be quiet for backyard plinking? I doubt I'd want to shoot targets with a bb gun haha it would just be frustrating

Stoeger X20

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:34 pm 

Any CO2 action is loud. The discharge of all that compressed air makes it unsuited for anyone trying to keep it low profile. And in fact it does sound a lot more like a real firearm (if you can discount the sound of the bullet breaking the sound barrier). The only CO2 gun I have that isn't ridiculously loud is the Crosman 1077, a semi auto pellet rifle and a real treat. This one we shoot without hearing protection for the most part.
I'm a lot like you, I enjoy target shooting and don't do plinking since I don't have the space for it (concrete walls in basement make for nasty BB ricochet). If you desire a pistol there are plenty of pellet ones out there, there is no need to settle for BB. Several are semi auto repeaters. If accuracy is what you desire than the crosman 2240 is your best bet for a non competition pellet pistol. Doesn't look like a Glock nor it is semi auto but great for target shooting.

Why not start with the Vigilante? You seem fond of it and I think you'd really enjoy the realism of the action. Princess auto often has them on sale and Can Tire seems to be having plenty of sales on their current stock of diff airguns. One of the online stores that support this forum sells reconditioned ones for I think $39 (plus shipping). Believe me, you'd be much happier with the Vig or 357 then with some BB pistol. Just don't go shooting in your backyard, it will turn that many more heads and the cops may not be as understanding next time they're called.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:37 pm 

Joolz wrote:
Any CO2 action is loud. The discharge of all that compressed air makes it unsuited for anyone trying to keep it low profile. And in fact it does sound a lot more like a real firearm (if you can discount the sound of the bullet breaking the sound barrier). The only CO2 gun I have that isn't ridiculously loud is the Crosman 1077, a semi auto pellet rifle and a real treat. This one we shoot without hearing protection for the most part.
I'm a lot like you, I enjoy target shooting and don't do plinking since I don't have the space for it (concrete walls in basement make for nasty BB ricochet). If you desire a pistol there are plenty of pellet ones out there, there is no need to settle for BB. Several are semi auto repeaters. If accuracy is what you desire than the crosman 2240 is your best bet for a non competition pellet pistol. Doesn't look like a Glock nor it is semi auto but great for target shooting.

Why not start with the Vigilante? You seem fond of it and I think you'd really enjoy the realism of the action. Princess auto often has them on sale and Can Tire seems to be having plenty of sales on their current stock of diff airguns. One of the online stores that support this forum sells reconditioned ones for I think $39 (plus shipping). Believe me, you'd be much happier with the Vig or 357 then with some BB pistol. Just don't go shooting in your backyard, it will turn that many more heads and the cops may not be as understanding next time they're called.

Thanks alot! I'm going to buy a vigilante next time I see one on sale! :D
Do you know any good deals for co2? or do you just buy the normal crosman stuff?

Stoeger X20

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:58 pm 

Hate to sound like a salesperson for Princess Auto but that's where I get the boxes of Crosman CO2, when on sale. Worst place for gas is Can Tire and Wallymart. The last 40 unit box I got was only $20. Don't recall how many shots you get with the 357 but I if I recall it was over 60.
Another idea is to post a request for a 357/Vig in the classified here. You'll often find members selling their guns for very good prices and almost always in new condition. Shipping would likely be around $20 so depending on what deal you find, you wouldn't have to wait for one to go on sale.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:59 pm 

Chrissstiaan wrote:
Do you know any good deals for co2? or do you just buy the normal crosman stuff?

topic45947.html

:wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:40 pm 

I am about to post my Vigilante for sale, only on the second CO2 bulb and like new with lots of extras. Will do that later tonight.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:02 pm 

Joolz wrote:
Hate to sound like a salesperson for Princess Auto but that's where I get the boxes of Crosman CO2, when on sale. Worst place for gas is Can Tire and Wallymart. The last 40 unit box I got was only $20. Don't recall how many shots you get with the 357 but I if I recall it was over 60.
Another idea is to post a request for a 357/Vig in the classified here. You'll often find members selling their guns for very good prices and almost always in new condition. Shipping would likely be around $20 so depending on what deal you find, you wouldn't have to wait for one to go on sale.

Awesome thanks

Stoeger X20

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:23 pm 

I've handled the Crosman Vigilante in a store once and I didn't like it.
Too much plastic and lightweight.
But maybe that's what you like in an air pistol.

Yes, the CO2 pistols are typically louder than break barrels or pumpers.

I have several revolver style air pistols. Some shoot BB's, some shoot pellets.
Of course the pellet models are somewhat more accurate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:50 pm 

I have a few Pistols including ten, going on eleven revolvers,
I still quite like the Vigilante and My new Brodax bb.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:25 am 

Pokerdogg wrote:
I am about to post my Vigilante for sale, only on the second CO2 bulb and like new with lots of extras. Will do that later tonight.

just posted my Vigilante for sale. Pictures will be posted soon as photobucket comes back online for me to upload pictures.