Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:45 pm 

I just picked up this brand new Smith&Wesson M&P 40 Blowback pistol today at Ark Army Surplus. Been watching for this one since I saw a Shot Show review of it. The gun is made by Umarex and it has full licensed Smith&Wesson branding on it. Like the real steel thing, it features a polymer frame and a metal slide. The full drop out magazine, which holds the CO2 and 15 4.5mm BBs is also full metal and quite hefty. The overall look is very nice - the markings are well done and the overall fit and finish is great.

The pistol feels very nice in the hand and comes with three different back straps allowing you to adjust the grip to your liking. The pistol is well balanced with the mag inserted but feels front heavy without out it. The front sight is windage adjustable but the rear is fixed. The sites are white dot marked for easy alignment. It features an ambidextrous safety, a working slide lock that locks the slide back at a realistic position on an empty mag and it has a working takedown lever allowing you to field strip the pistol. The mag release is in the proper place. It does of course have a smooth bore barrel. The slide movement is very crisp and there is no "slop". The gun is single action only and the trigger is not too bad. It does have a little travel before you feel it catch but it does break pretty cleanly.

The accuracy is reasonable for this sort of gun and it has a claimed velocity of 310 fps. The slide action is wonderful and gives you a very nice, satisfying snap when you fire it. Overall I give the gun an 8/10. The trigger could be a little better and it could have a little more power despite the blowback action. On the whole, it is a fun little plinker that is very close to the weight and overall look and feel of the actual powder burning firearm. Priced at $179 is a little steep but not too much to keep me away from it. Definitely recommend this pistol. Ark Army Surplus are also great to deal with if you are in the Toronto Area - give them a visit. They have a huge selection.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:53 pm 

Thanks for your comments (review). I, too, have been eyeing this handgun, but the exceptionally low power, even for a blowback, has turned me off. If I recall correctly, Michael at Replica Airguns got only a couple of shots in the 300s with standard BBs, and I think the slowest output was around the 250 fps - five shots into a fresh CO2 cart. Can't imagine how low it would be two-thirds of the way into a cart.

Please do let us know after you've shot it for a bit.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:40 pm 

Hey Mantis, I'm having a hard time staying ahead of You!
Got the M&P 40 last week along with the ISSC M22,
I pretty much corroborate what you've said about the 40
Beautiful replica seems to me, to shoot fairly strong, sorry
but my chrony's out of commission, love it, and the M22,
and the little Walther PPS that I just got this week!
Recommend any and All!

Attachments:
jeepnguns 168.jpg
jeepnguns 168.jpg [ 91.47 KiB | Viewed 2573 times ]
jeepnguns 160.jpg
jeepnguns 160.jpg [ 73.22 KiB | Viewed 2573 times ]
DesertEag,PPS,EKOL 017.jpg
DesertEag,PPS,EKOL 017.jpg [ 81.6 KiB | Viewed 2573 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:43 am 

Hey ejackyou....looking for one of those ISSC pistols. Heard a lot of good things about them. Where did you get yours? I have yet to find a dealer in Canada who has them yet.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:45 am 

Edmonton<500 wrote:
Thanks for your comments (review). I, too, have been eyeing this handgun, but the exceptionally low power, even for a blowback, has turned me off. If I recall correctly, Michael at Replica Airguns got only a couple of shots in the 300s with standard BBs, and I think the slowest output was around the 250 fps - five shots into a fresh CO2 cart. Can't imagine how low it would be two-thirds of the way into a cart.

Please do let us know after you've shot it for a bit.

I saw that video - his initial few shots were averaging around 320 actually before they began to drop. I put four mags through mine - 60 shots before it seemed to really lose power. I guess it also depends on how rapidly you fire too.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:09 pm 

180 is expensive!!! Mike at Replica Airguns sells it for 150, and you can get it for a little less from PA when you take the echange rate, shipping and brokerage fees.

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun