Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: smaller decent rifles
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:28 am 

Hey guys,

So what I have, is a ruger blackhawk, and a ruger explorer. Got them both off some guy in a parking lot for 75 bucks last summer...lol

They're ok, but not great, can't complain considering the price I paid.

The blackhawk is the better one of the two, but I really don't like how long heavy and cumbersome it is, so I've been looking to replace it with something more comfortable up that would actually be worth upgrading one day if I get that keen, tho honestly, it's more of a tool for me than a hobby. So something that isn't going to fall apart after a year or two would be nice.

Point is, I was in crappy tire yesterday, and saw a bunch of air rifles on sale so I had a look. The one I liked best, as far as size and weight was the beeman 1047(dual cal version), it was on for about $150. They gave me a rain check, but having since read some reviews I'll probably pass on it. Lots of complaints about the barrel setup.

I see a lot of recommendations of the Diana 240, do they not make the .22 version of it anymore? seems to be unavailable on the sites I've looked at.
I've been leaning towards .22, but not set in stone.

Any other nice smaller comfortable rifles I should consider in same price range? (non PAL only )

I'm on vancouver island. Totally fine with a nice used gun if someone has something that would suit as well.

cheers,
ryan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:52 am 

Check the Canadian Airgun Forum Store. Ask for exact shipping price. http://www.airgunforum.ca/store/index.php?cPath=22_31

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:33 pm 

Cool thanks!

Any idea on difference between the 24 and 240 classic?

( ones that would make a difference to a casual user...)

Cheers
R

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:45 pm 

You mentioned this is more a tool than a hobby, what are you using it for? I started with a Ruger Explorer to shoot rats last year, but I traded it in for a Daisy 953 for the convenience of the 5 shot magazine strip. The rifle is almost as light as the Explorer, but easier to shot because it is not a springer. I am pretty happy with it, could use more power but since I don't have a PAL, my options are limited.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:00 pm 

Yeah , pests, bullfrogs etc.

I don't really go target shooting for the fun of it?

Mostly, I don't want to buy junk.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:16 pm 

I would look at something like a Qb78d or an AR2078. They are both 22 cal and run on co2. Easier to shoot accurately and since you're not target shooting you shouldn't be going through too many carts of co2 . Also can easily be modified to pal power once or if you get your PAL. Scopesandammo.com have them in stock starting at 144.00$.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:40 pm 

As to smaller, rifles, I have a Brocock .22 Concept - probably 5 1/2 pounds without scope, VERY accurate to 25 yards, at least, quite petite - a tiny rifle - and quite decent, imho.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:37 pm 

I'll agree with Daryl on the choice of the Concept. Nice little rifle, LW barrel so you know it'll group well. Not huge on shot count but you wouldn't expect that from a compact rifle. Besides which you're not buying CO2 all the time, just pumping or filling from cheap dive tank air. The QB78D is a bit on the big and hefty side by comparison. Mine is 7lbs 3oz which isn't bad, using an ultra-light Leupold scope and with the barrel shortened a lot but adding back a Ninja bottle with transfer block. With a cheaper, heavier scope and without the bottle and using the full length barrel you're probably getting over 8lbs especially leaving the wood stock. I'm using a thin aluminum tube stock. The Concept is much lighter and balances better. And they're really not all that hard to work on, except for the valve, which Brocock uses a 'special' tool to install.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:37 pm 

Once more I will pipe in with my support of the QBXX platform. A 9 oz bottle on the XX79's will give you a couple weekends of solid shooting. Very light and with the right ammo, very accurate. All bundled up at the $200 mark makes it worth a serious look.
Mine is set up with the Archer repeater breach and a 5 lb bulk refill bottle....I can shoot all summer for peanuts.
And when you get your PAL, you can mod this to shoot in around the 650-700 fps range (I have heard of 800 being achieved, but have doubts). More than enough punch for rodents.
Lastly, it's a breeze to work on and a cinch to re-assemble.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:10 pm 

Interesting. I hadn't even considered co2 powered to be honest.

Being me, I know what would happen, I'd grab it to go shoot and discover it was out of co2 with the spare bottles being put somewhere "safe", to show up again only AFTER I went to buy some more. Nice as those QB's sound, I'm not sure I want to deal with co2.

When I was a kid I had a single pump rifle, that took a couple hundred bb's in the stock and also shot pellets. Had that thing for years, and it outshot all my friends multipump guns. Used to shoot beer caps across a riding ring.

For the life of me , I can't remember what brand it was. It's since been lost at sea unfortunately. .

That brocock is nice, but the one I saw listed was way beyond what I want to spend. (and honestly, I don't think I could ever read that brand name without laughing)

I emailed the forum airgun store, they do still sell the Diana 24 and 240. I'd like to see one in person before buying , I'll have to go have a look in cabela's etc to see if they have anything in stock.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:23 pm 

You can't go wrong with the Diana 24's. I have both the .22 and.177, and they're great rifles for the price. The 240 seems to be a newer version of these classics. No added costs for CO2, either...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:41 am 

Yeah, seems to be a pretty safe bet. Co2 is just one more thing to buy and stock.

On the board store, the 24 is 50 bucks more than the 240...I like the idea of older and more solid, but 50 bucks is a fair price jump if the differences are only nominal.
Hard to know without a side by side comparison, with my limited knowledge.

I'll check d&l after the weekend too, pretty close to me so shipping might be a bit less.

Cheers
R

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:07 pm 

PM Sniper Dan. I'm sure he would quickly respond with commentary on the differences between the two.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:42 am 

...Seapotatoe,....I scrolled through the "introductions" and didn't find you,....Where are you on Vancouver Island ? ... ( Can't be of any help with your rifle quest as I'm a pistol shooter, but have you considered a 1322 with a stock and maybe a 14"-18" barrel ? ).....Glance through the "gallery" section.............Thumper, Comox

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:59 am 

Welcome to the addiction seapotatoe.
(Boy, my spellchecker doesn't like your forum name)

Canadian Tire is a convenient place to buy your airguns but you can find better quality and prices online at our Canadian suppliers.

I have several non-PAL air rifles, some are pumpers, some are break barrels and one is CO2 powered.

I find my Crosman M4 is tiresome to pump, five times between each shot.
But the Daisy 953 with its repeater pellet clip is okay, a single pump between shots.

The break barrels and under-leaver air rifles are okay but some cheap break barrels are prone to barrel droop.
Myself I like the Nitro Piston gas ram airguns. Less vibration when compared to spring powered airguns.

The QB78D is one of my favourite air rifles. It does require two CO2 cartridges to shoot but it's very similar to shoot as a .22 cal LR.
But keep in mind that CO2 airguns are fussy on temperature. You can't shoot them in cool or winter weather.

Now should you chose .177 or .22 caliber? It depends what you're shooting at. If you're just plinking at targets in your backyard then .177 will suit you. The pellets are slightly less than .22 cal pellets.
But .22 cal pellets have more punch and are easier to pickup.

Then there's the choice between iron sights or scopes.
There are so many personal choices, so many decisions.
That's what I like about this sport/hobby/addiction.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk