Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:56 pm 

Hey All,...
If you had a Budget of say 5.5k to get into the PCP market for yourself and your 10 yr old son, what Equipment would you buy,...?
My list is as follows:
1 X FX Royale 400 Regulated .22 = $1795.
1 X Hawke Airmax 30 SF 6-24x50 AMX = $499.
1 X AA S510 Extra FAC Ultimate Sporter .22 = $1595.
1 X Hawke Airmax 4-12x40 AO AMX = $239.
1 X Air Venturi 4500psi, 98cu.ft Carbon Fiber Tank = $979.
1 X Ninja 4500psi Carbon Fiber Tank & Fill Station = $325.
Pellets & Cleaning kit = $75 ish.

Also, who/where would you buy from?
Comments & Suggestions Welcomed / Appreciated.

P.S I already have hunting gear, range finder, anemometer, Plano hard cases, etc,...etc,...

Thx,
Jonathan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:53 pm 

Do you have or shoot any other air rifles?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:51 pm 

mckenzieclan wrote:
Hey All,...
If you had a Budget of say 5.5k to get into the PCP market for yourself and your 10 yr old son, what Equipment would you buy,...?
My list is as follows:
1 X FX Royale 400 Regulated .22 = $1795.
1 X Hawke Airmax 30 SF 6-24x50 AMX = $499.
1 X AA S510 Extra FAC Ultimate Sporter .22 = $1595.
1 X Hawke Airmax 4-12x40 AO AMX = $239.
1 X Air Venturi 4500psi, 98cu.ft Carbon Fiber Tank = $979.
1 X Ninja 4500psi Carbon Fiber Tank & Fill Station = $325.
Pellets & Cleaning kit = $75 ish.

Also, who/where would you buy from?
Comments & Suggestions Welcomed / Appreciated.

P.S I already have hunting gear, range finder, anemometer, Plano hard cases, etc,...etc,...

Thx,
Jonathan

Lol So far all I've seen is dads list, As for your son, do look at the Brocock series of rifle and carbines. They are fairly light and compact styled, something your son can grow into. They can be purchased in sub 500 and PAL formats.

Whitewolf

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:13 pm 

Penage Guy wrote:
Do you have or shoot any other air rifles?

Yes, have 2 X Sprigers,...
Gamo Big Cat Air Rifle w/ 4x32mm Scope, in .22
&
Winchester 500S Pellet Air Rifle w/ Stoeger 4x32 Scope, in .177
Looking to get into PCP's,...
Thx,
Jonathan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:22 pm 

Hey Whitewolf,...
Sssh, don't want the minister of finance, (aka The Wife), to catch on,...
I'll definitely look into the Brocock Series, (My son is Tallish for 10yrs old @ approx. 5ft).
Thanks for the advise.
Jonathan.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:24 pm 

Jumping from Gamo and Winchester break barrel rifles to $5500 worth of PCP and equipment is a big step. Both rifles listed are very good, although they may represent diving into the deeper end of the pool; there's little reason to argue against either.

Before you buy any SCBA tank, consider that they fill to 4500 psi and a fill source is needed. Many scuba shops don't fill to 4500 psi, but if you can find one, that's one less thing to worry about. If you're going "all in" as the original post suggests, you may as well get the larger tank as they hold a great deal of air and are not very heavy.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:53 pm 

I don't know much about PCP but if you have that much to spend, you could consider scaling back on some of this and free up the funds for a compressor. The "shoebox" might be the cheapest, don't know if it's any good.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:57 pm 

I have a shoebox compressor and they work great.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:18 pm 

DDtank wrote:
I don't know much about PCP but if you have that much to spend, you could consider scaling back on some of this and free up the funds for a compressor. The "shoebox" might be the cheapest, don't know if it's any good.

Hi DDtank,
Yeah, I looked at compressors including the shoebox, (maintenance is simple, but pretty frequent on the shoebox, and it's $1150 USD now).
I'm Currently still looking into my "Fill" options in Fort McMurray, (Local Paintball, or maybe the friendly neighbourhood fire house), otherwise I may need to get a compressor.
Thanks for the suggestion,...
P.S. I've been saving since last summer, it is a big spend, so want to get it right.
Thx,
Jonathan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:22 pm 

Penage Guy wrote:
Jumping from Gamo and Winchester break barrel rifles to $5500 worth of PCP and equipment is a big step. Both rifles listed are very good, although they may represent diving into the deeper end of the pool; there's little reason to argue against either.

Before you buy any SCBA tank, consider that they fill to 4500 psi and a fill source is needed. Many scuba shops don't fill to 4500 psi, but if you can find one, that's one less thing to worry about. If you're going "all in" as the original post suggests, you may as well get the larger tank as they hold a great deal of air and are not very heavy.

Hi Penage Guy,
Yes, valid point about the 4500psi, and Local "Fill" options, still looking into that,...
Will definitely get at least a 98 cu.ft tank.
Thx,
Jonathan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:24 pm 

Plasticman wrote:
I have a shoebox compressor and they work great.

Hi Plasticman,
How long does the shoebox take to fill a 98 cu.ft tank from 0 to 4500 psi?
Thx,
Jonathan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:07 pm 

SCUBA compressor of course

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:57 am 

Penage Guy wrote:
Before you buy any SCBA tank, consider that they fill to 4500 psi and a fill source is needed. Many scuba shops don't fill to 4500 psi, but if you can find one, that's one less thing to worry about.

You don't have to use a 4,500 psi fill tank. I bought a large steel SCUBA tank at a local shop. Both the owner of that shop and a local friend who operates a dive charter biz fill my tank to 3,500 psi which they say is perfectly fine (I defer to them as experts and they said fine with steel, not with aluminum). Yes, a same-sized carbon fiber tank at 4,500 psi would give several more fills and be lighter (all nice benefits that you pay dearly for), but my scuba tank works great so that is another option to consider.

If I had a $5,500 budget available for more PCP gear, I'd buy an Air Arms TDR 410 FAC with a compact scope and put $3.5k down on our mortgage that never gets any smaller. LOL

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:19 am 

1 X Air Arms S510 Fac Extra .22
1 X Airforce Condor .25
1 X Shoebox Compressor
1 X 7 Ltr or 12 Ltr steel bottle from Bestfittings.uk
2 X Optisan Viper scopes
xxxx tins of Pellets - H&N

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:05 pm 

Just looking at your list Jonathan, nice rifle's for sure, but rifle's are made to shoot and your going to find that you will go through a lot of round's that you will probably need to have ship in, so I would suggest allocating more to the ammo department, and seeing both these rifle's have really good shot count's I would drop the ninja tank and fill station and just use the large carbon fibre tank, Paint ball shop's don't usually like to fill the big bottle's unless they have a scuba compressor, you could consider renting nitrogen tank from praxair or air liquide witch ever shop you have locally.
You rifle's can both be bought at Airgun Source and they are great to deal with. Pellet can be ordered from the forum store 10 tin's (a sleeve)
JSB's would be my choice. Happy shooting.

Airforce Texan
Desert Eagle
60's Shanghai 177 springer
Beretta 92FS Nickel
2250B HPA