Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:45 pm 

This is the continuation of the thread "RWS rimfire ammo" at topic73166.html
It has morphed more into a gun/ammo test. The premise is I'm looking for a cartridge that I could shoot accurately to 100 yards or I'd buy the 22WMR barrel for this rifle. I eventually accumulated 9 different rounds that might meet the requirements. The 3 subsonics were CCI Competition, Federal Match and Eley Match. The high velocity rounds were CCI mini-mag, Federal Champion and Eley Force. The Ultra HVs were CCI Velocitor, Remington Yellow Jacket and CCI Stingers. The original plan was to test at 50 yards, choose the best for a 100 yard test and finally the same distance with a barrel tuner.
Along the way I was hoping to show that a supersonic projectile could do as well as a subsonic but this test won't prove that.

In the subsonic I like the CCI as they are also the least expensive and I find the 10 cent per round "Standard Velocity" as good as the "Competition". The high velocity had the best round over all with the Eley Force and I had to repeat the test to believe it. The two CCI hyper velocity are still in the running. Later we'll see what the tuner can do with them.
Will post again after the 100 yard test.
Ed.

Edit - The first group of the Eley Force was 5 shots .65" c-c the 4 close shots were .32" c-c.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:51 pm 

Are these results from shooting the nine different types of .22LR ammo in groups of five, one after the other?
Was the bore cleaned in any way between different types of ammo? Were there any fouling shots taken?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:19 pm 

I didn't know they were called fouling shots but I did shoot at my zeroing target and adjust my elevation in between the 3 major velocity changes.
I took 3 to 5 shots in between but the barrel wasn't cleaned.
I usually only clean the barrel after a shoot. Do you think it would have made a difference cleaning during the test?
To be honest with you there are so many variables to achieving the best accuracy it's daunting.
Ed.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:15 pm 

Generally speaking, and this applies to any rifle be it PB or air, comparisons should be made under similar conditions as much as possible. That means shooting from a (relatively) clean barrel and fouling that barrel before shooting for "score" or groups. This way all ammo passes through a barrel that is unaffected by the debris from a previous type of ammo but "conditioned" for the ammo in question.

Additionally, for more meaningful results it is best to shoot as many groups as possible with the same ammo -- at least five, but preferably eight or ten groups. This way it is possible to see a more relevant "average" of how that ammo shoots, and perhaps eliminate any especially lucky or unlucky groups. If only one group is shot with a particular kind of ammo, it is not possible to say with certainty that that particular group was typical for that ammo with that rifle.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:36 pm 

Looks as if you've narrowed down the number of rounds to try again. Well, done. With a bolt gun, I'd likely do as Penage Guy says and clean between ammo switches. With the Semi - I clean rarely - maybe once a year. Now, it is dry here - not South-Western-Ontario-humid.

If I shot mostly outside lubed - non-brass plated, I'd likely never clean the bore - here in the West.

With the brass wash ammo, I clean it if I notice an accuracy drop, or when the rifle gets cranky with feeding, or when it starts burping. That shows the trigger group needs washing out. Carb cleaner works - spray - shake and blow it out with compressed air, then spray liberally with dw40 - blow it out again - touch of moly grease (Kleenbore brand) on the trigger group bearing surface and reassemble.

It is imperative to shoot a number of rounds to replace the last load's powder with the new load's 'stuff' before actually testing it for group. The number of flyers usually is reduced. with a .22, it is also imperative to squeeze each round out and follow through. Being too quick to look through the scope will also cause flyers - due to barrel time - with is compounded even more with a low vel. air rifles.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:17 pm 

I finally got to test 5 of the 9 ammo brands and velocities I thought might do alright at 100 yards. Once again it was the Eley Force that best suited my rifle. They were on sale about a month ago and I bought 10 boxes so I'm happy they didn't disappoint at 100 yards. I'm sure on a windless day I'd scored a 1/2" group now and then.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:27 pm 

Anyone try that SK ammo?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:48 pm 

Penage recommended SK to me and never looked back. my Annie, cz, and Brno love em.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:53 pm 

SK?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:56 pm 

187_cuteness wrote:
Penage recommended SK to me and never looked back. my Annie, cz, and Brno love em.

I need to stop running bulk in my 10/22 unless its for plinking and my Cooey 78. Which I shot a 3" group at 110Y with Peep Sights. My personal best for 22LR.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:58 pm 

Aged wrote:
SK?

http://www.nordicmarksman.com/Ammunition.html

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:10 pm 

if your local to me I can sell a brick of em lol.

shameless plug. sorry. but great Ammo on a budget

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:38 am 

Hey Rodney,
No problem there but I'd much rather try out a single box before committing. Geez that sounds dirty lol.
Nordic Marksman was out of stock in the high velocity box of 50 I wanted. I don't live near you and it wouldn't be worth the trouble
of sending it by courier so thanks anyway.
Ed.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:17 am 

didn't I meet you at haha one of those shoots in spring? come out again I can toss you a few boxes.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:06 am 

Yes that freezing day in March. I might but it is a 4 hour drive both ways. I could probably order a brick of SKs from NM for less than the gas.
I'll be ready for FT next spring :wink: