Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:37 am 

Hello my name is John. I have recently purchased my first air rifle, and im going crazy about adjustingmy scope. Ive done a lot of reaearch and know how to zero in a scope but my rifle just wont let me! i sighted in my scope at 10 yards, it was accurate, then i moved it up to 20 and some shots are going above and to the left, and other down and to the right? how is this even possible?
Im using a TR77 500 Fps version if that makes a difference. any help is GREATLY appreciated, thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:28 pm 

Welcome to CAF. Sorry to hear about your accuracy problem. What kind of mounts/rings do you have? Is it possible that the scope or mounts have moved?

On a related note, shooting an air rifle has challenges that differ from shooting a .22LR rifle. How are you holding your rifle? Are you shooting from a rest? What kind of pellets are you using?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:42 pm 

Make sure you are not clipping your pellets when you close the barrel. If the pellet sticks out of the breech and you close the barrel, you will crush the pellet skirt.

What brand of pellets are you using?

Check to see if your breech seal is not crushed or nicked. It must protrude evenly all the way around..

You may be pulling your shots.

When you mounted everything, did you degrease the scope ring clamps? The screws and their holes? Everything must be lube free other wise things will move.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:59 am 

Welcome to the forum John.

The Crosman TR77 is a springer air rifle and the are sensitive to how they are held. Don't grip it tightly, just rest it in the palm of your hand or on a rest. Myself I've had good results using a small sandbag or a Dollarstore foam travel pillow.

If your shots were drifting even at 10 yds I would have suspected the CenterPoint scope.

How do you find the trigger on the TR77?
Is it light or rough?
I've considered buying this rifle more than once.
But I prefer air rifles with iron sights.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:27 am 

SureShot wrote:
Welcome to the forum John.

The Crosman TR77 is a springer air rifle and the are sensitive to how they are held. Don't grip it tightly, just rest it in the palm of your hand or on a rest. Myself I've had good results using a small sandbag or a Dollarstore foam travel pillow.

If your shots were drifting even at 10 yds I would have suspected the CenterPoint scope.

How do you find the trigger on the TR77?
Is it light or rough?
I've considered buying this rifle more than once.
But I prefer air rifles with iron sights.

i love this rifle, the tactical look you get for that cheap price you cant beat that. the scope isnt the best, so isnt the trigger. the trigger has a very long distance to travel before it shoots which i dont like, but u general i absoloutley love the rifle. also it isnt a spring rifle its a nitro piston rifle :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:47 pm 

My apologies, I thought it was a springer.

The NP airguns shouldn't be hold sensitive.
Have you considered a Weaver rail mounted bipod?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:00 pm 

Help might be forthcoming if you could give some answers to the questions asked.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:43 pm 

We tried a few pellets on Saturday, shimmed the scope as it was shooting way too low and the scope was at max elevation, being careful not to over adjust or over tighten when put back together. John if you are able maybe you could come out here and I'll put one of my scopes on it. That way you can try some other guns too. Question : Are you able to take that shroud off or even just the end of it?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:56 pm 

The shroud is there for looks and sometimes to aid with the cocking.
On some airguns you may find a setscrew, on others it's glued on.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:34 pm 

Well the shroud can also affect the pellet, It did on my Benjamin Classic so I opened the hole just a tad and all was fine.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:43 pm 

I would have thought the opening on the shroud would be much greater than the muzzle of the barrel and wouldn't affect the pellet ballistics.
But then again if the crown of the muzzle affects the ballistics then I shouldn't be surprised.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:59 pm 

I have a real feeling that it's a scope issue with this gun. We tried quite a few different fixes and nothing really seamed to help. One thing left is another scope, everything on the gun seams fine, tight, good breech seal, no excessive movement anywhere.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:37 pm 

Well to answer your original question. You doubled the distance to what it was zeroed for, so your going to have a different point of impact.

Those shrouds have big exit holes, ~7mm. But inspect it to see if it is clipping.

Also unless you got a lemon scope I highly doubt a under 500 FPS NP would destroy a scope.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:51 pm 

diehunnen123 wrote:
also it isnt a spring rifle its a nitro piston rifle :)

Technically a nitro piston gun is still a spring gun... You still have the piston moving back and forth inside the gun before the pellet has left the barrel, so it'll benefit from the artillery hold. You don't have the torsion effects of the uncoiling spring though.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:04 pm 

cbf123 wrote:
diehunnen123 wrote:
also it isnt a spring rifle its a nitro piston rifle :)

Technically a nitro piston gun is still a spring gun... You still have the piston moving back and forth inside the gun before the pellet has left the barrel, so it'll benefit from the artillery hold. You don't have the torsion effects of the uncoiling spring though.

Interesting, so only PCP & CO2 powered airguns don't possess the double recoil of a springer or NP.

Would a pumper airgun would behave the same as a PCP & CO2 powered airgun?