Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:10 am 

A very interesting thread and post on springer hold sensitivity and bore direction during firing cycle, especially post number 5:
https://www.airrifle.co.za/threads/3891 ... b66a7c2ae7

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:48 am 

Thanks for posting that, Penage Guy, very interesting reading!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:00 pm 

Cool. It points out the fact that the gun/barrel does move before the pellets exists which is something many people don't think about. This is why I like to see people balance the gun better so the piston movement pushes the gun straighter back and forth rather than whipping the barrel up/down. And of course how you hold it so whatever movement is repeated for each shot.
Fyi here's a great vid of a barrel whipping around:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaW_Hs0B79c
Note ~16sec the piston impacts just in time to shock the gun/barrel before the pellet leaves. Hard to tell but it seems the pellet leaves at about the worst possible time, which is imo a big factor in why some pellets work so much better than others, and why when you tune a gun it can drastically change what pellets it likes best.
Kinda amazing the guns can be accurate at all huh?
That's an HW90 which has an exceptionally long barrel at 20". I had the same gun/cal btw, which was was rather low velocity. I rekon a 22 and especially a 177 would have much better odds of escaping before that impact but only a guess since this vid is about all I have to go on other than my guess of what's happening. That and the fact that laser bore sighters didn't work for me at all, and was actually off quite a bit even tho it was my most accurate springer (FWB124D).