Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:22 pm 

I’m contemplating acquiring a Match grade target pistol for some informal 10 m indoor range target shooting. I like precision and the rewards of hitting repeatedly a paper target in tight groups. I can accomplish this with my pellet rifles. After seeing the Olympic shooters…I was attracted to experiencing the same results with a target pistol. I’m not aiming (pun intended) to get involved in competitions, nor can I afford a bank loan to invest in a high-end match grade professional air pistol which I know can be in the 1K +$ range.
I’ve done some research here as well as on the net about some of the ‘entry level’ Match Target Pistols with .177 caliber. I’m considering the following 3 air pistols which would be within my financial means. I haven’t handled any one of them though. However, I don’t yet have enough experience and knowledge about the sport to determine which one of these would be providing the best level of shooting proficiency and technique associated with this sport.
In no particular order, the pneumatic airguns that I have found interesting are:
a) Webley Alecto
b) Daisy Avanti Triumph 747 (same as Daisy Powerline 747)
c) Gamo Compact (same as Air Venturi V-10)
( I have not considered the popular IZH 46M because mostly the price, and it’s a SSP)
So, my purpose for this Post is to seek some comments from owners/shooters of match target pistols regarding my selection of ‘entry-level’ target airguns. There aren’t many ‘reviews’ in this category of airguns that discuss the features and advantages of each while being used for informal target shooting situations. Any input is greatly appreciated and will be considered prior to possibly acquiring a match grade target pistol. Thanks.
Hawk-i

KRAL Puncher .177
CZ-200S lam. .177
Weihrauch HW50S Stl
Cometa Fusion .22
HatsanAT44&95 .22
FAS 6004T
Weihrauch HW44 .22
'HAVE GUN. WILL SHOOT'

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:31 pm 

Best wishes on your quest!

(FYI - the 46M is not a PCP)

Specs with Customer Reviews:

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Daisy_Mat ... _Match/308

https://www.replicaairguns.ca/zoraki-hp ... right-hand

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Air_Venturi_V10/61

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:12 am 

Absolutely, about the Izzy (Baikal-IZH 46M)..it's an underlever pump. My apologies.

I was confusing that with (what I intended to remark in my original Post) the popular Crosman Silhouette.
Anyway, they both are on the outer limits of what I would consider spending at the onset for an airgun pistol without being sure I'd want to go further in the sport.

Thank you for the references.

KRAL Puncher .177
CZ-200S lam. .177
Weihrauch HW50S Stl
Cometa Fusion .22
HatsanAT44&95 .22
FAS 6004T
Weihrauch HW44 .22
'HAVE GUN. WILL SHOOT'

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:00 pm 

I have a .22 Alecto, and the .177 Gamo Compact. Both are pneumatic, and both have been very consistent shooters for me...
The Gamo has better "grippability" for me, due to the stippled wood grips, but the narrow width of the rear sight blade makes it a challenge to line up the front blade in lower light. Easy to cock and great trigger adjustments. Exact RS 7.53g pellets are ejected consistently at about 410fps.
The Alecto would be my "one pistol" if it came to only having just one ( :shock: ). The multi pump system is tight and reliable, and allows you power options in different shooting situations. Shooting 11.9g Hobbies, 1 pump gets me about 335fps, 2 pumps 447, and 3 pumps (used occasionally) nets me about 485 after valve tuning.
The Alecto's big, but solidly built and nicely adjustable. Despite the "plastic" feel, the grip mold and balance of this gun is excellent.
Both are great pistols, and I'd recommend either (or both...).
I can't speak to the Avanti yet :wink: , but I'm sure someone on the Forum will offer their input on them...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:09 pm 

Thanks for the insight 57scott,
I've come to realize that the Zoraki HP-01 and the Alecto are one and the same. I was wondering about the grip size which seemed large (fat?) even though ergonomically shaped. I'm going to have to look up the You Tubes on that airgun (both brands) to better evaluate if the grip size could be a hindrance for me. For a 'go to' airgun pistol with .22 cal that offers some FPS selectability... it is very tempting.

KRAL Puncher .177
CZ-200S lam. .177
Weihrauch HW50S Stl
Cometa Fusion .22
HatsanAT44&95 .22
FAS 6004T
Weihrauch HW44 .22
'HAVE GUN. WILL SHOOT'

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:57 pm 

The zoraki hp-01 is very similar to the Webley Alecto. One pump cylinder gun. The only one I've seen is .22 but Im sure they make a .177 for target shooting iffs style. I too was in wonderment of Olympic accuracy and have been researching a similar gun for myself. We recently got a zoraki in at my store and it shoots great.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:47 pm 

I am another vote for the Alecto. I've had both .177 and .22 however, there is no need to buy two guns ... just get someone to cut/fit a barrel of the caliber you want.
It is a very accurate shooter and I believe my .22 was getting about 460fps with Jumbo RS pellets on 3 pumps. Do not be tempted to modify the valve too much. If you try to push it too much and damage the valve, you may have some difficulty getting it repaired.
Put a red dot on it and it is a tack driver.
I don't think I'd classify the Alecto as a match grade target pistol but it is fun to shoot and very accurate.
Good luck in your decision and have fun.

Canuck 12 Ga O/U
Webley Alecto .22
Webley Tempest .22
Crosman 2240 .22
Crosman 1322 .22
Beretta PX4 .177
Member of NFA, CSSA & IPSC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:03 pm 

I have the Alecto, 747, IZH 46M, and a HW75. love them all.
I would consider a lightly used IZH or the 747 as a 'match pistol'.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:53 am 

ejackyou wrote:
I have the Alecto, 747, IZH 46M, and a HW75. love them all.
I would consider a lightly used IZH or the 747 as a 'match pistol'.

I am actually starting to lean towards the Gamo Compact because of the grip that can be tailored to one's hand (pawm)size.
With regards to your suggestion ejackyou, I have been watching the For Sale section here for any one of these. So, yes would consider going for a previously well maintained one of these. No luck so far. Seems they become 'keepers' I guess.
I'm sure my decision would be facilitated if I was able to handle any or all of these airguns to evaluate size, form, sight radius and the like before acquiring. Unfortunately, no airgun dealers in Quebec that I am aware carry any of these airgun pistols in stock.Image
Thanks for the comments and recommendations.
Maybe some members will come forward with an offer on one of these they have put aside and don't really use much any more. I was very fortunate awhile ago to acquire a Walther Lever Action 1st generation from a CAF member that had not yet put up for sale that airgun pellet rifle but had read of my interest of 'some day' seeking to acquire one. A PM from him and we had a deal. Very very pleased with my acquisition.
Well back to my quest...
Cheers!

Hawk-i

KRAL Puncher .177
CZ-200S lam. .177
Weihrauch HW50S Stl
Cometa Fusion .22
HatsanAT44&95 .22
FAS 6004T
Weihrauch HW44 .22
'HAVE GUN. WILL SHOOT'

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:03 pm 

I can vouch for the IZH46 / FWB65 / TAU7 (if you don't mind CO2)

The Gamo Compact is nice "looking" pistol, but it's more of a plinking pistol than a match pistol.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:03 am 

sillymike wrote:
I can vouch for the IZH46 / FWB65 / TAU7 (if you don't mind CO2)

The Gamo Compact is nice "looking" pistol, but it's more of a plinking pistol than a match pistol.

This is good advice. The Tau 7 is an excellent pistol, but it is a little more money. The IZH 46 M is excellent, too, but unavailable new due to sanctions against Russia. Consider one of these if you can find one lightly used. The Alecto/Zoraki pistol seems very hard to find in Canada these days. The HW 75 is a very good SSP as is the less expensive HW 40, also an SSP. See D&L and Specialty Shooting Sports if they have either in stock.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:42 am 

Hi everyone,
Well...just a quick closing remark to conclude my Thread on advice for a target pistol.
I decided on acquiring a NEW Gamo Compact from D&L Airguns. I received the pistol this week and have begun the process of determining which .177 cal pellet that airgun is going to prefer. It seems so far to be pretty selective for head size anyway.
I might eventually put up some Chrony results and target groupings in the Review Section.
Thanks once more for all of the input and advice.

cheers!
Hawk-i

KRAL Puncher .177
CZ-200S lam. .177
Weihrauch HW50S Stl
Cometa Fusion .22
HatsanAT44&95 .22
FAS 6004T
Weihrauch HW44 .22
'HAVE GUN. WILL SHOOT'

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:37 pm 

Good choice!
Hadn't realized that D&L finally had them back in stock.
I'll have to pick one up myself!
Happy shooting, your acquiring a good collection of air pistols!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:11 pm 

Sorry to revive a dead thread.. What are your guys opinion on the baikal ugh-53m pistol. I believe it's a single pump pneumatic .177 that would work quite well as a beginners match pistol. Last time I checked baikal Canada had them on sale for around 90$ +/-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk