Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Older GAMO Expo
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:31 pm 

Hey guys,

Never really had an air rifle before. My FIL gave me this old rusty gamo expo. Bore is great, exterior cleaned up half decent with oil and steel wool.

Couple of questions for those who may know.

1)Breech o ring seal.

How do you actually remove these? I'm assuming that after 15 years in a shed it needs to be replaced.

2) piston leather seal.

I have found upgraded 25mm cup seals via customairseals.com I believe out of Australia.

So far I have pulled the old leather seal and soaked it in oil to swell it back up. Should I replace it?

I can get the breech seal and the cup seal kit for $40 bucks from that one site.

3) What did these guns shoot fps wise when new?

Should the spring be replaced and if so what do I need to keep it legal under 500 fps? This is an Expo made in Spain. No safety.

My plan is to scope it with a cheap 4x Bushnell banner that I have and use it for squirrel on the bird feeder and in the back yard etc. My father in law said he used it to shoot rats on the farm.

I noticed at Canadian tire 2 different weight pointed hunting pellets. A 7.9 and a 14.9 made by cross an or do I want a hollow point? Which shoots better in an under 500 fps rifle?

Thanks for any help.

Post subject: Re: Older GAMO Expo
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:55 pm 

https://www.gunspares.co.uk/products/24264/Gamo-Expo/

These people were cheaper. Most breech seals you can get out with the dentist pick. Mines only shooting 300 FPS but I believe the spring is weak.

As for the pellets 7.9 would be 177 which the Elgamo is chambered in. 14.3 would be 22 cal.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:21 am 

Ah perfect thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:56 am 

winchested wrote:
Ah perfect thanks.

Your welcome, I just installed said kit last week.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:24 pm 

Thanks. Once I've got the stock oiled I'll get to shooting it.

Stripped the cracked finish on the stock and did a nice dark walnut stain with a BLO finish. Looks like a gun now and not a cheap toy.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:25 pm 

Think I have this very gun, replying here so that I can find this thread when I finally have the chance to take mine apart to give it a much needed tune (haven't been fired in years). Possible for you to place a pic (or two) of yours? Any idea what speed it shoots at?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:49 pm 

This is what mine looked like. Originally was a friend of the family asked me to look at it. Inspected it to find that piece of copper wire smashed into the seal. He didn't want to fix it. so gave it to me. Was only shooting around 280- 300 FPS

and why I had to reseal it.

Figuring the trigger spring was the hardest part I found.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:04 pm 

Yours isn't identical to mine although the internals likely are. Mine is actually a 2100 Expo. No idea of the year of manufacture, although I'm sure it didn't come equipped with that piece of copper :mrgreen:

As seen in the pic the blade portion of the rear sight is missing. Will throw this out there in case someone seeing this thread happens to have a spare: would like to get mine working as i'd rather not put a scope on it.

I hope to finally take mine apart for a tune up next month. Have Chevota's tutorial on tune ups which I plan to follow but it's good to see others have taken theirs apart, in case I run into any issues.

Attachments:
gamo-2100.jpg
gamo-2100.jpg [ 95.8 KiB | Viewed 1864 times ]
gamo-2100-missing-rear-sight.jpg
gamo-2100-missing-rear-sight.jpg [ 45.37 KiB | Viewed 1864 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:08 pm 

I'll get pics tomorrow. Mine has the 6 or so horizontal lines on both sides running the length of the stock, single shot. Father in law said it's got to be 30 or so years old.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:29 pm 

Just another comment on pellets.

We obviously don't yet know how hard it will shoot; is it possible it's a PAL rated rifle today? We'll have to wait until your tune-up is complete. In the meantime, if this rifle is capable of humane kills (an issue of concern to members here who give advice on air gun capabilities), If it shoots less than 500fps (but not much less) in .177 (which I believe leadslinger said yours was), I say 10 yards/metres (33-36 feet) would be the max range for a humane kill with a head shot.

As per pellet weights, I think leadslinger may have unintentionally confused you. You can get .177 pellets much heavier (and lighter) than 7.9 gr; that is merely within the generally accepted standard weight for .177. If your rifle ends up being capable of doing 500 fps with a heavier pellet, they are certainly available.

(Please note: My comments are regarding pellets, not about unregulated/non-restricted limits and their effects legally)

one more very important point about pellet types. Contrary to visual assumptions/conclusions (ooooo, very pointy - more penetrating), pointed pellets are the last choice option if you are trying for accurate head-shots. The general air gun community opinion is that domed pellets are the all-around most practical/accurate pellets. If you're shooting pellets at a sufficient velocity for a humane kill, domed pellets will penetrate equally in efficiency to a pointed pellet and will travel much more accurately.

Happy modding and pesting.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:54 pm 

Edmonton<500 wrote:
Just another comment on pellets.

We obviously don't yet know how hard it will shoot; is it possible it's a PAL rated rifle today? We'll have to wait until your tune-up is complete. In the meantime, if this rifle is capable of humane kills (an issue of concern to members here who give advice on air gun capabilities), If it shoots less than 500fps (but not much less) in .177 (which I believe leadslinger said yours was), I say 10 yards/metres (33-36 feet) would be the max range for a humane kill with a head shot.

As per pellet weights, I think leadslinger may have unintentionally confused you. You can get .177 pellets much heavier (and lighter) than 7.9 gr; that is merely within the generally accepted standard weight for .177. If your rifle ends up being capable of doing 500 fps with a heavier pellet, they are certainly available.

(Please note: My comments are regarding pellets, not about unregulated/non-restricted limits and their effects legally)

one more very important point about pellet types. Contrary to visual assumptions/conclusions (ooooo, very pointy - more penetrating), pointed pellets are the last choice option if you are trying for accurate head-shots. The general air gun community opinion is that domed pellets are the all-around most practical/accurate pellets. If you're shooting pellets at a sufficient velocity for a humane kill, domed pellets will penetrate equally in efficiency to a pointed pellet and will travel much more accurately.

Happy modding and pesting.

I was merely trying to say that the pellets that he saw were 177 vs 22. You ever see 14.9 grn 177 pellets? Mistakes happen, my step father didnt realize that the 2 tins of Prometheus pellets he found were 22's till he tried to put one in the buckmark I gave him.

These guns were not really that powerful.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:06 pm 

Definitely understood. :) My comment was not intended to be critical. I just thought some clarification might be helpful for an airgun newbie.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:44 am 

Yup and I appreciate the pellet advice. That's why u didn't buy any yet!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:44 am 

ImageImage

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:46 am 

Father in law told me he would sit in the barn loft with a 12 pack and pick off rats. Haha.