Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:14 pm 

Both sides of my family are after me to get a rifle, so I can go Moose/black bear hunting.

I don't find cartridge firearms very interesting, except the old lever action cartridges. Just wondering if anyone shoots these more traditional firearms here so I can ask some questions.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:21 pm 

I believe Daryl shoots muzzleloaders regularly. Are you out there Daryl?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:32 pm 

50 cal in line minimum or 54 cal percussion.
I shoot a 50 Hawken by Thompson Center and a double barrel 58 cal Kodiak.
Big animals you want big lead and lots of powder!
You will want to get into casting as well, all great fun!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:52 pm 

Aha! Voltar, do you mind if I message you to ask a few questions to help me determine what I need to get started?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:12 pm 

Sure no troubles
Should discuss with Daryl as he has a LOT of experience.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:01 pm 

TKs guys - Yes - I'd be glad to help in any way I can.

Td85 - I shoot period correct rifles, handguns and smoothbores, competing with them every year at rendezvous and weekly here on our trail walk as well. I also successfully hunted moose with my favourite rifle, in the past.

Feel free to pm me, or e-mail might be best.
I have been involved in muzzleloader shooting since 1972 and have made a study of this sport. I have built a few of them myself, but lack the patience needed for fine work as observed below.

dtsapergia@shaw.ca

This is my custom made 14 bore hunting rifle of 1850 period English design, held by my late hunting buddy, Brad.

This a new acquisition, a .50 cal Verner bench copy also made by my bother.

This, an English 20 bore build by a fellow in the states named Hunkeler. I know no more of him. I use this for trap shooting as well as in the round ball events. A 20 bore makes a good 50yard moose or deer gun, due to it's 320gr. round ball and ability to use about any powder charge deemed safe.

I also compete with this pistol in those events at rendezvous, also built by my bro. It has both .54 and .45 cal barrels that fit. With the .45, the ignition is cap-lock,not flint. The conversion takes only a few minutes to replace the barerls and locks.

I will add a suggestion for someone wanting to get into black powder shooting and perhaps hunting with them. The Lyman Great Plains Rifle in .54 is perhaps the best way to start. It is the closest reproduction to a plains rifle you will find. Too - they are not overly expensive and much better $ to $ for what you receive. The Great Plains Hunter that has a fast twist and shoots slugs is not a good idea at all, due to the extra recoil, cost of shooting and necessity to replace the nipples often. A cap-lock ignition is also the best type to start with.
I do not shoot, nor will have anything to do with inline so-called muzzleloaders. I know they exist, but have only ever seen 1 at the range with the guy testing it- that was about 6 years ago. In my opinion this is due to the EXTREME expense of shooting them - they are horridly expensive to shoot.
If you do not cast your own round balls, they run about $20.00 per hundred. I cast mine, therefore they are almost free. I pay .50 per pound for pure lead and a pound of lead casts 30, .530 round balls.
Powder costs $26.00 per pound of REAL black powder. I will not use phony powders if I can help it. Hodgdon's T-7 is the only one I know of that does not use perchlorates in it's mix. Perchlorate fouling will dissolve the iron molecules out of your steel barrel. The only moisture necessary is that from a water based lubricated patch- or humidity in the air over 34%. Do NOT use Pyrodex.
Please use only real black powder. If you cannot find it, use T-7 or Tripple Seven, however you want to say it. It is only suitable for cap lock guns & costs more than real BP..

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:01 pm 

Thank you for your response! Beautiful Rifles!

I wanted a traditional muzzleloader as well, but having to shoot left handed is unfortunate, as I am almost blind in my right eye.
There is a Lyman side Hammer percussion left handed, but cannot find a Canadian Dealer, and import is costly.

I am either looking at a used Knight MK85 or a Thompson Center Impact. I know both are inlines, and not your style.

If i get geared up to cast my own bullets, would shooting an inline really be that much? I plan on using granular powder or substitutes.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:01 pm 

Hard to find the right sized conical. Usually have to use shotshell primers, ie: size 209 which might even be cheaper than caps. TC maxiballs are OK for deer, but are horrid wounding projectiles for elk and moose. Instead of expanding, they actually collapse due to the extremely large grease grooves. The Hornady buffalo bullets usually do much better, but are expensive- might find a mould, or not. Most people who shoot inlines- costs well over a $1.00 per shot just for the bullets due to the use of plastic sabots & jacketed 'pistol' bullets.

Lyman Great Planes Rifles in .50 or .54 cal.

Here is one distributor:

The person who posted a comment noted a 'bit' pricey. All of the guns I PICTURED, including the hpistol cost more for parts than the Lyman costs new. The Lyman is a GREAT value and with it's 60" twist a VERY accurate rifle with patched round balls - available in caplock and flint, right and left handed.
To have a rifle like my .69 built today, would run you about $4,000.00 - double that for the A.Verner bench copy.

The Lyman Plains Rifles are incredible values & cannot be matched, value wise, by ANY US Distributor or maker for that matter, not for less than about $2,000.00. Is it worth $2,000.00 - no - you can buy it for less than $700.00, but worth every penny - inexpensive at that price. It is also closest to an authentic plains rifle as you will find on the commercial market. I would prefer a leaf-spring lock, but the Lyman lock works fine.

If you buy a flint lock, you can buy directly from trackofthewolf.com if you wish as it is not deemed to be a firearm, either here, nor in the States - no import licenses needed.
Canadian dist. for Lyman BP rifles.

http://www.wholesalesports.com/store/ws ... s/p/180747

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:39 pm 

I shoot a .54 TC Renegade with a 1-72" Green mt barrel as well as TC Hawken in .50 and TC Cherokee in .45 Killed a couple deer.......Harold

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:27 pm 

None of these guns, 3 pages of them, require any formal paper work - no P.A.L. nor any firearms export or firearms import licenses.

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/487/1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:47 pm 

This is the carving, incised in example, this a $3,000.00 rifle. click on "View 7 and 8" for comparison of parts. Personally, this rifle is somewhat overpriced.
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categori ... /2/AAQ-097

This is an $8,000.00 rifle with incised carving.

lots of filing and shaping from sand-cast brass parts.

This one - this 14 gauge rifle is the one that makes moose lay down.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:08 pm 

Lay down and stay down I bet............Harold

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:49 pm 

I hunt with a 50 and a BP shotgun. Darel has me drooling. Nice guns wow.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:39 am 

TKS- this is my squirrel rifle- was a .32, re-barreled with a Rice .36 cal bl. 38" long. At Helfley Creek Rendezvous(near kamloops), one of the clubs from Washington State puts on a squirrel rifle shoot - no rifles over .40 allowed. All of the targets are grey squirrels in different poses, ranges to about 50yards max. They are mounted in trees having to find a patch through the bushes, etc. It's a tough match. Nobody aces it.
I was particularly fortunate to find this Tennessee Mountain Rifle at Dixon's gun maker fair some 4 or 5 years ago. I had it converted to flintlock prior to it being sent to me. Typical with these rifles, it had a very good English-style Durs Egg lock, as-did many of the originals.

Here is a picture of my brother, who builds these fantastic rifles, with a .62 S.Hawken bench copy he built some years back.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:12 pm 

Just beautiful!