Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:25 pm 

Very nice. I can see this thread will cost me money, I hold you responsible! :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:45 pm 

DDtank wrote:
Very nice. I can see this thread will cost me money, I hold you responsible! :wink:

And I'm all ok with that... so long as you stay in Burlington and I remain in... err... Alaska! Yeah, I live in Northern Alaska... :wink: :lol:

Learn to Love To Do Well - And You Shall. - C. Poseidon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:36 pm 

DDtank wrote:
notec wrote:
Now to get back to the conversation about higher velocity in single vs double action. That is a correct statement. If you pull the trigger in double, the hammer only comes out 3/4 of the way before releasing. In single the hammer is further back when you pull the trigger.
I'm not saying this isn't the case but at the moment it is still an observation. Any chance someone can chrony the two to compare as I still wonder if there is really a difference to how much gas the hammer is venting whether it falls from 3/4 or all the way out. Would be interesting to know for sure.

OK. I dragged out the chrony and set it up. Strangely (or maybe not) the CP88 which I hadn't fired in about two years was somewhat inconsistent in velocity, getting both faster and more consistent as I put a few pellets through it. Don't take too much notice of the actual velocities themselves as I still feel it has a way go to 'recover' thoroughly. These figures are representative: double action - 339.3 fps avg., single action - 384.9fps avg. So approx. 40 fps higher from single action. You can actually hear the difference in the report of the gun. The first shots I did in double action were under 300 fps, the fastest was in single action at about 415 fps. I was alternating mags between double and single action. YMMV.

The difference in velocity with different hammer strikes would certainly be expected by anyone who has tuned any CO2 or air gun. Changes to the hammer spring and hammer weight are well known methods to increase or decrease velocities as required. When I put a 14" barrel on my 2240 I had to shorten the hammer spring to soften the hammer strike to get the gun below 500 fps.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:09 pm 

Alternating should take out any variation due to the power decreasing as the cartridge gets used up so very interesting, nice one!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:25 am 

Since I needed co2 and pellguniol I also picked up some fun pointed Premiere pellets.
Compared to the RWS Pro wadcutters I have - the pointies go in the round mags loosely and give quite inferior accuracy :lol: :roll:
A few members mentioned RWS is the way to go and I can also add that CP pointed "ain't" the way to go :D :D :) :) :lol:

I assume CP HP would be a similar loose fit...

Wish I could get RWS locally... :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:30 am 

Oh dude. It says right in the manual hollow point or was cutters only. Pointed pellets don't fit the clip well and will grind against the inside of your nice new toy!! Always read the instructions!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:03 am 

I would like to see your manual. Seems to have more info in it.
Mine didn't come with a user manual - but the one or two I was able to read online simply stated:

"Use only .177 (4.5mm) caliber [diabolo] pellets in your Model CP88 or CP88
Competition. Use of any other ammunition can cause injury to you or damage to the air pistol. Never
reuse pellets."

from Section 4
http://cdn.pyramydair.com/site/manuals/Walther-CP88.pdf

Darkstar wrote:
Oh dude. It says right in the manual hollow point or was cutters only. Pointed pellets don't fit the clip well and will grind against the inside of your nice new toy!! Always read the instructions!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:06 pm 

Yes, stick with RWS Hobby. Get them mail order 5 or 10 tins at a time. Check the forum store and get in touch win Sniper Dan who runs it (ignore the postage charge if the system spits out a silly number, Dan will sort it).

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:18 pm 

Thanks DDtank, and thanks also to Darkstar who was helping (few too many exclamation points maybe :wink: :lol: )

I will give these pointy pellets to my friend and maybe she will give me some of her wads in exchange :wink:

Thanks to everyone's help! I will get the RWS Hobby's.

Anyone advise against the RWS Superdome?

http://airgunsource.com/rws-superdome-1 ... 3gr/dp/190

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:20 pm 

Hah ha, sorry it was early and it wasn't my intention (Im easily excited I guess). I just wanted to give you a heads up. I don't think the information was in the owners manual but was included as just a loose tab in the original package. I remember seeing it in there when I was shooting it the other day at the store. Glad you're enjoying things though. Just would hate for you to damage your new toy. Have a great day Plink!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:38 pm 

:lol: It was great advice and last night when using the pointed I did notice it was not as easy pulling the hammer back :shock: so I opened the mag and re-seated the pellets. Will not use them again :roll: :x

I am surprised wadcutters are preferred for accuracy vs domed for the 88... and I am not arguing with experienced 88 users here - I am just seeking to understand.

My top desire is for best accuracy but I want best penetration too...

I want to plink in the woods with a lady-friend, and got those pointed pellets to penetrate some reactive targets....

Domed 'should' penetrate a little better than wadcutters, should they not?

Anyone?

That is why I am looking at the RWS Superdome in addition to the Hobby.

Darkstar wrote:
Hah ha, sorry it was early and it wasn't my intention (Im easily excited I guess). I just wanted to give you a heads up. I don't think the information was in the owners manual but was included as just a loose tab in the original package. I remember seeing it in there when I was shooting it the other day at the store. Glad you're enjoying things though. Just would hate for you to damage your new toy. Have a great day Plink!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:11 pm 

Domed might work but having had the 88, 99, Beretta 92, Desert Eagle plus various sub 500 fps springers, I would say stick with Hobby at these power levels. They are ideal target/plinking pellets at short distances; you are not going to be shooting long distances. They are good and cheap. Personally, I wouldn't bother experimenting with anything else. They are all I use in air pistols, whether 22 or 177.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:27 pm 

Anyone got experience of the short versus long barrel 88's; ideally, the short barrel one converted to long barrel with the spare parts would provide the best comparison?
The specs seem to show an extra 10 or 20 fps with the longer barrel but is there any measurable difference in accuracy?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:18 pm 

Anyone prefer the Umarex CO2 12gm vs other brands?

I don't see an issue using the Crosman, they work fine - but I saw a video review and the fellow said his '88 preferred the Umarex (possibly said Walther) because they are a better fit and more efficient getting more shots I think...

I see that a pack of 12 Umarex are $11.99 at Amazon.ca

Might buy a pack some day when I already have something else on order there

BTW - TSC Store has RWS Hobby's on sale for $8 a tin, limited quantities. I would pounce on it to see if my local store has any but I got a few tins waiting to be delivered this week in the mail (I just got paid and need another payday for all the Airgun goodies I want!)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:59 pm 

Plink-Panther wrote:
Anyone prefer the Umarex CO2 12gm vs other brands?

I don't see an issue using the Crosman, they work fine - but I saw a video review and the fellow said his '88 preferred the Umarex (possibly said Walther) because they are a better fit and more efficient getting more shots I think...

I see that a pack of 12 Umarex are $11.99 at Amazon.ca

Might buy a pack some day when I already have something else on order there.

Princess Auto has Crosman CO2 40 pack for 21.99 (55 cents each) on sale until Nov.13.

http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/4 ... -p8490872e

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next